• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    just acquired a used bow and am in the market for arrows. i've been by gander mountain a couple times and they seem to recommend their arrows above all others. any reason for this? anyone have any other tips or recommendations for arrows?

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Ive been shopping for archery products for a few weeks now and quickly realized that gander mountain sucks! at least the one here anyway. best bet would be to take it to a local pro shop{not a chain} and have them set the bow up with arrows for you. they will set you up with the correct arrows..not the most expensive.
    I like to shoot a heavy arrow and I called to see if GM had a specific arrow in and they told me the bow I was getting would not handle such a heavy arrow...and tried to talk me into the GM brand arrow that was the exact same GPI as the arrows I was interested in{Easton AXIS dangerous game}:rolleyes:

Moses

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Farmersburg, In.
    pro shop for sure. gander don't know squat. i had them cut arrows for me once, they came back all different lengths. ha ha. i'm not kidding. got my money back!!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    easton

Any arrow spined for the draw weight/length combination of your bow should work. It is hard to buy a bad arrow these days. Heavier arrows (more grains per inch ) will, as a rule, shoot more quietly. Speed is going to be lower by a shade but I prefer a quieter bow-vs- a speedier one.

Aluminum arrows get bent. messes with accuracy. Carbons are either straight or broken. Learn how to check them so they won't bite you. A compromised carbon arrow can shatter when fired and pix I've seen tell me I don't want to participate in the surgery to remove the pieces.

If you're hunting -vs- target shooting the cheapest carbons from name brand mfg's are consistent enough. If you're shooting 3d and target competitions you might need to spend more for a higher degree of quality control.
    good hunting. a good proshop is an advantage for a beginner. Make sure the bow is set up properly for you and you'll save a lot of headaches and frustration later.:yesway:

joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    yeah, i was getting the impression that they were just recommending their own product because it was their brand. I'll take it to the outdoorsman or the pro shop in wabash that i have heard good things about to get some arrows. thanks for the great info.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I was a second year bow hunter this year and have probably tried out 4 different arrow types.

The first kind was Carbon express terminators 55/75. My dad got some in a used bow deal so I cut them to my length. They were ok. My groups were scattered to some degree.

I read online about Gold Tips arrows and bought some with 4 inch vanes, the expedition hunter. My groups improved.

Then I decided to move to a blazer style vane so I picked up some Gold Tip XT hunters. I started shooting groups with arrows touching.

I took my bow to the outdoorsman for some work and while I was there I asked about the best arrow from a whisker biscuit. They all recommended Easton ST excels with feather style vanes. So I picked up a couple to try. They were ok, but couldn't compare to my Gold Tips XT Hunters.

So I still only shoot the XT hunters. Thats what groups the best for me. But any of the arrows I shot would have worked well to kill a deer. I dont think the Gander guys are trying to push their brand so much as just catering to the mass of their population who is price conscious. If you were specific and said I want extreme accuracy I am sure they would point you to the higher priced ones by default. But it boils down to finding the right arrow that specs out for your draw length and weight and then trial and error for the one you shoot well.

My dad loves the eastons but in his mind he wanted to love them. They dig deeper into his target so he equates that with harder hitting while I tend to think its cause they are undersized a little.

I do buy my Gold Tips at Gander sometimes since Outdoorsman doesn't carry mine. If I do, I always watch them cut the arrows. I specify I want the length measured with the knock in and I measure each to an existing arrow I bring with me as they cut them. I think the guys think I am acting like a jerk but oh well...if you didn't screw up so much I wouldn't have to be.

The only place I will ever get a bow setup though is The outdoorsman.

Last edited:

dhayse32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    What bow did you get? What is your draw length and how much poundage are you pulling back? There are many factors that go into getting the right arrows, which many have already posted.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you can get a wide variety of different arrows. I like Victory Archery arrows, but I have shot Carbon Express Maxima Hunters and Easton Full Metal Jackets and really liked how they performed, however those are pricey. GoldTips are good arrows also.

Give me some more info and I will try to help you out!

rabbit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Stay away from Gander Mountain! Go to your local pro shop and get setup right the first time! It might be a little more expensive at first but a lot cheaper in the long run!

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    i got a compound bow for christmas from the wife, they threw in a bunch of arrows for free... only one of which is worthy of even being tossed on string. I have about 20 that need re-fletched. I have never done this before and need help, anybody know of an archery shop in the grant county area?

plowman766

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Huntington
    I have heard a lot of good things about bass and bucks near wabash they have a very nice archery side to the shop and I have been told they are very knowledgable on compound bows and their setup.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Josh is a great guy, very knowledgeable concerning compounds. I *think* it was $2 bucks or so an arrow, maybe less. The website is bassandbucks.com. Not a good site to browse, but you can get addy info from it.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Bass & Bucks is a pretty decent shop. My experience there wasn't so great but at the same time I've never heard anyone else complain about them. The few times I've been there they are quite busy, especially Josh, so be prepared to wait.

I've been using carbon express maximas. They do shoot good but I'm not sure if they are worth the price. I'm down to 4 arrows so I'm be buying some this spring and think I my try some gold tips to try out.

One thing I've learned is that most important part of archery is the person behind the bow. I've seen many a time that a person with the top of the line bow and equipment get out shot by a guy old beat up equipment and arrows. Practice, Practice, & practice.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I learned on a recurve tried a compound last year and had a release failure, accidental discharge if you will, and knocked 3 of my teeth loose. Although I would love to bring down a dear with grandpas fred baer I think I may have better luck with the compound.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    just acquired a used bow and am in the market for arrows. i've been by gander mountain a couple times and they seem to recommend their arrows above all others. any reason for this? anyone have any other tips or recommendations for arrows?

Contact foamkiller...he lurks here but doesn't post.
    I know him in real life and if you have any bow/arrow related question about ANYthing, he's your tournament-winning-bow-building-arrow-making-go-to-guy. 100%. Click: INGunOwners - View Profile: foamkiller

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    i got a compound bow for christmas from the wife, they threw in a bunch of arrows for free... only one of which is worthy of even being tossed on string. I have about 20 that need re-fletched. I have never done this before and need help, anybody know of an archery shop in the grant county area?
    If you want to give it try, you can refletch the arrows yourself. It's not that hard. The only thing you really need to lay out money for is the fletching jig. Cost of the Bitzenburger jig is approximately $80, which is a one time deal. If you check ebay you can buy a used Bitzenburger jig for about $50. Vanes (plastic) are cheaper than fletches (feathers). But even fletches aren't that expensive (about .40 cents each). I use "Duco cement" ($2 a tube)instead of the more expensive fletching glues, works just as good. If you are going to use vanes (plastic) I recommend the straight jig & clamp, and either a Left or Right jig and L/helical clamp or R/helical clamp if you plan on using feathers. If you decide to give it a try, buy the Bitzenburger fletching jig, they last forever. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom