• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Just a heads up...as a simple, clean and virtually odorless back up.
    We have a composting toilet down at our hunting camp as the ground does not perk. We took a plastic 55 gallon barrel cut in half. Our outhouse has a rear hinged door that gives us access to the barrel ( its set under the seat)...... When used, paper is burnt seperatly. when your done with your bussiness, you cover the scat w/ sawdust...... when the barrel is about half full, drag it out, cover for 9-10 months and you will have dark as in black soil, now I would not use it in a garden but you probably could.
    Also we took an old 18X18 carpet tile and cut it to the same shape as the toilet seat, keeps your back side warm in the middl eof the winter.
    Regards.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Good stuff. Recycle everything back into the system. No reason to let good :poop: go to waste. :joke:

You can also have separate places for urine and feces. Urine can be used immediately.

Also, humanure needs to be composted very hot if you plan to use it in a food garden. It is best to use it in non food gardens to be safe. For more info check out the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Humanure-Handbook-Guide-Composting-Manure/dp/0964425831%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJASE6HSSVXTNREYQ%26tag%3Dsmtfx1-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3D0964425831"]Humanure Handbook[/ame].

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Just a heads up...as a simple, clean and virtually odorless back up.
    We have a composting toilet down at our hunting camp as the ground does not perk. We took a plastic 55 gallon barrel cut in half. Our outhouse has a rear hinged door that gives us access to the barrel ( its set under the seat)...... When used, paper is burnt seperatly. when your done with your bussiness, you cover the scat w/ sawdust...... when the barrel is about half full, drag it out, cover for 9-10 months and you will have dark as in black soil, now I would not use it in a garden but you probably could.
    Also we took an old 18X18 carpet tile and cut it to the same shape as the toilet seat, keeps your back side warm in the middl eof the winter.
    Regards.

Good stuff. I read a how to article on one of these. I think it was in Backwoods Home Magazine. They did say don't use the compost on a garden, but suggested that it would be good to use it on trees...I wonder if it would be safe for fruit trees.

Anyway, I'll hunt for the article online and post it if I find it.

EDIT: Haven't found it yet, but here is a page with some plan info...

Designs - Composting Toilet World

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    when the barrel is about half full, drag it out, cover for 9-10 months and you will have dark as in black soil, now I would not use it in a garden but you probably could.

I have been taking dumps in my neighbor's garden for years and I have not noticed any changes in his behavior. :twocents:

Top Bottom