• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    I really enjoy shooting my Glock 17 and it is very accurate . With that being said I have been considering a 34 just for the range and target fun is there enough difference vin the two to recommend getting the 34? And if so what would you recommend as far as any trigger upgrades? Keeping in mind just a range gun and no carry. Any feed back is appreciated .:ar15:

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I looked at both before buying the G34.

Reasons:
    1) Longer sight radius
    2) Extended Mag Release
    3) Lighter Trigger Weight

You can change the mag release on the G17.
    You can lighten the trigger weight on the G17.
    The extra slide length advantage stays with the G34.

If you already have a G17 then it might not be worth the cost to add a G34 unless you want every possible advantage for competition. I had neither so the G34 was the clear winner for me. I had some work done on the trigger reset (applies to either one) and the G34 has been a great firearm.

See Charlie (NHT3) at USDS for trigger work on either one.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    If you aren't going to carry it, I think the G34 is the clear winner here. The G34 does everything the G17 can do and better, but you can never make the G17 better than the G34.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    If you aren't going to carry it, I think the G34 is the clear winner here. The G34 does everything the G17 can do and better, but you can never make the G17 better than the G34.

I have own several G34's and G17's and in my personal experience the G17 has come on top every time, there absolutely nothing wrong with the G34 just more of a competition/range gun for me and for some reason I can shoot the G17 better. To make things equal I did set up both with same trigger (the - connector and that was it) both with Trijicon HD's and no matter what distance, I found to by faster drawing the G17 and engaging the target fastest as well as target transition a little faster also.I like it so much that I mod a G17 gen 3 for target only and its a dream to shoot.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    G34 has a longer sight radius. Other the that a person can setup both models with the same sights, triggers, slide stop and mag release. I used to have a Glock 35 (wish I still had it) setup for the range and a Glock 23 for carry. I have a buddy with a carry G17 and range G17. So the question is really if you want two Glocks, one for the range and one for the street.

You asked about mods. IMO extended slide stop, extended mag release and lighter striker spring and fiber optic sights are for range use. All of that is great on a range gun

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Thanks a lot to everyone and all the great information, since I already have the Gen 4 Glock 17 and love it pretty sure the 34 will soon join it! Just want another just to have fun with at the range, guess I do have the Glock bug! LOL.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I've owned both gen3 and gen4 Glock 34s. I actually prefer the gen3 (and I'm even a lefty!!!)

If you want another fullsize Glock in 9mm, then get the 34, you won't regret it. (although all tangible benefits are minimal, and everything - except overall length - can be added to the G17 to make it more "G34-like"). I might even opt to get a G26 or G19 instead of a G34.
    I, personally, have A.D.D. when it comes to firearms and I like to try different ones, so I'd get something completely different (maybe a walther PPQ, maybe a revolver, maybe a beretta PX4, etc.)

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    I've owned both gen3 and gen4 Glock 34s. I actually prefer the gen3 (and I'm even a lefty!!!)

If you want another fullsize Glock in 9mm, then get the 34, you won't regret it. (although all tangible benefits are minimal, and everything - except overall length - can be added to the G17 to make it more "G34-like"). I might even opt to get a G26 or G19 instead of a G34.
    I, personally, have A.D.D. when it comes to firearms and I like to try different ones, so I'd get something completely different (maybe a walther PPQ, maybe a revolver, maybe a beretta PX4, etc.)

Yea lefty here also, and already have the 26,and the 19 so the only thing to do was order the 34! LOL.

Top Bottom