• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob Watson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    Alright INGOers, I'm sure you have answered this a million times so what is one more. I am looking for a compact 9mm for pp carry, I Love the looks an the feel of the SA Emp and the Colt New Agent but not the price tag on them. Does anyone have any Suggestions on what to look at from there? Thanks in advance for any suggestions

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Are you wanting a "compact" 9mm? Then I would go with a Glock 19 or M&P 9mm. It sounds like you are looking for a "sub-compact," however, so in that case I would go with a Glock 26 or I really like the Beretta px4 subcompact (plenty of others out there, but those are the ones I have experience with). Though, I don't think you can go wrong with a springfield EMP.
    If you are looking for an "ultra-compact" 9mm, Kahr has the PM9 and CM9, Sig has the new p938 that is getting some attention lately. The Beretta Nano is a good gun by all accounts, Ruger LC9....Too many to list. More specifics of what you want in a carry gun will help people suggest pistols to you.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    Depends on how compact you want to go. I really like my Ruger LC9. It's DAO with a heavy trigger pull, so some don't like it. However, I started with a revolver, so I'm accustomed to the longer, heavier trigger pull.

Rob Watson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    I am looking for a slim look but not real small, I have large hands so I really don't want to go as small as the Nano or some of the other sub compacts. I know there are a lot of choices so it's kinda like picking out ur fav skittles color but was trying to narrow down the playing field

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If you want slim with a full size grip you might want to look at a Hi Power or clone. It is very slim, gives you the same cocked and locked carry as the ones mentioned in your OP and carries 13+1. You can find a used FN Hi Power at $400-$500.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    For a slim CC option, take a look at the Kahr line. The CW series can be had for a decent price and they are great little guns.

Personally, I'm in the market for an XDs, but that's a .45 not a 9mm.

As mentioned, the LC9 is a viable option, and one my wife used for a while. You can reduce the trigger pull and reset with a Galloway Precision mod.

I love the feel and look of the New Agent as well. I actually kind of dig the "trench" sights on them..

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    I would go look at the M&P 9c or Shield. I love the m&p line, they just fit my hand well. Shields are hard to find now. I can't say for sure how comfortable it is because I haven't held it, but I am fairly confident the first time I see one I will buy it. Plus the shield is thinner then the other m&ps. All the reviews online say it feels like a bigger gun then it is when shooting, so it might be worth a look.

Now that my m&p speech is over, just go to a larger gun store with lots of options and tell them you want to see every compact they have. Feel each one. One will be "it" and the rest will just be another handgun. It is my opinion that as long as you go with a respected brand (glock, smith, Springfield, ruger, etc) you are looking at pretty comparable quality and its just preference at that point.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    For a slim CC option, take a look at the Kahr line. The CW series can be had for a decent price and they are great little guns.

Personally, I'm in the market for an XDs, but that's a .45 not a 9mm.

As mentioned, the LC9 is a viable option, and one my wife used for a while. You can reduce the trigger pull and reset with a Galloway Precision mod.

I love the feel and look of the New Agent as well. I actually kind of dig the "trench" sights on them..

Walther PPS is also very slim and not too tiny. The m&p shield was also mentioned. Sig sauer p239 is a single stack and pretty good size for carrying as well. Then there are the 9mm 1911 options out there.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    Are you wanting a "compact" 9mm? Then I would go with a Glock 19 or M&P 9mm. It sounds like you are looking for a "sub-compact," however, so in that case I would go with a Glock 26 or I really like the Beretta px4 subcompact (plenty of others out there, but those are the ones I have experience with). Though, I don't think you can go wrong with a springfield EMP.
    If you are looking for an "ultra-compact" 9mm, Kahr has the PM9 and CM9, Sig has the new p938 that is getting some attention lately. The Beretta Nano is a good gun by all accounts, Ruger LC9....Too many to list. More specifics of what you want in a carry gun will help people suggest pistols to you.

He just about covered it,but If you want the best of all worlds go with a Kahr CW9. Great gun and easy to carry . Jim

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Nano is the best on the market IMHO. I can't say enough good about it. Price, comfort, Beretta-name, 9mm...I've posted it a lot of times but never get tired of saying how good it is and how happy I am with mine.

:twocents:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    My favorite compact is the Smith & Wesson M&P9c. I daily carry it and it is right between the Glock model 26 and model 19 for size and capacity. 12-round magazines with either a flush-fit base plate or one with the finger extension (which I prefer). It is one of the funnest guns I shoot, is extremely accurate and concealable yet still big enough to be an all day shooter at the range.

The M&P9 Shield is a good option, too. Single-stack like but still large enough to shoot all day without much issue.

Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    I like my Taurus PT-111 Millennium Pro. It is a double stack that fits in my hand well. I wanted it for a few reasons.

First and foremost, it has a history of proper operation with the correct loads for the gun. If you can't say that about something you're looking at, stop looking at it. Second, size. It was small enough for CC if I wanted to but comfortable to grip and shoot often at the range. Third, it was in my sub $500 budget.

Good luck.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Nano is the best on the market IMHO. I can't say enough good about it. Price, comfort, Beretta-name, 9mm...I've posted it a lot of times but never get tired of saying how good it is and how happy I am with mine.

:twocents:

Another vote here for the Nano... I just wish Pearce Grip would hurry up and make +1 mag extensions for it.

Last edited:

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I flat out love my EMP, it is my favorite 9mm carry and worth the money. That being said I would like to try the Shield for every day carry instead of trashing my EMP's finish. My other choices are Walther PPS and Beretta Nano. I have shot the PPS and it was OK, never even held a Nano. One other compact single stack 9mm that looks promising to me is the XDMs when it comes out.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I like my Taurus PT709 (my EDC) and my Blade Tech :D

Over 1K rounds through her with no hiccups :)

One of the best bangs for the $$$$ .

bladetech.jpg

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have shot the Nano and the Shield, Had the LC9, Had a Kahr CM9 and sold it (silly) so I bought the CW9 because it has more grip to hang onto. The LC9 had a very LONG trigger. The Nano did not have a Slide lock. The Shield had a Safety. The Kahr's have a break in period which is a joke, Never had a problem in the 200. I shot my CW9 at the last IDPA Match. Jim

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    If you don't need to carry in your pocket, check out the M&P Shield. Small, THIN, and shoots like a bigger gun. The safety is not a problem if you don't want to use it. It is small with a definite positive click and sets in a recess. You can just click it off and leave it off.

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    For me its the Glock 19 most of the time. In those times when I need something a little smaller I grab my S&W Shield. I just love both guns. I carry the shield with safety off.

Top Bottom