• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Thinking hard about a compact .45 for carry and would like input from people who have shot some.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    One of the ffl's around here swears by the compact para ordnance line of pistols but they are a bit pricey.
    Most of my handguns are compact 45acp pistols. Para Ordnance makes the Warthog, about 25 ounces and 10 rounds of 45acp. AWESOME little gun. Mine has NEVER once had a misfire or failure of any kind. Yes they are a bit pricey but they are worth every penny. And there are many lesser guns that cost as much or more than the Para Warthogs.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I've had a few. Officer's model 1911. I love the 1911, but the Officers is just too much of a good thing (chopping). Mine were OK, but not 100 % reliable. Factory ammo was 100% but I had soem bobbles with my early handloads. I had two Para P12's and was happy with both of them.

Later on, I had an early Taurus Millenium. it was a 10 shot DAO polymer framed gun. Fairly slim given the amount of ammo it carried. I liked the fact that it had the double strike capability and the same, double action trigger pull every shot. It was reliable and carried well.

Last one I had was a Bersa .45. It was a good gun, nice and sold. Steel framed so a bit heavier. Ndever got a holster for it, so I never got around to serious carry. It was more of a truck gun. It was reliable andaccurate. it ate every kind of bullet design I could throw at it. I'm not a fan of the DA/SA trigger action, so it moved down the road awhile back.

Doug K

mAk0

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    I too would recommend the springfield xd45 compact. Shoots great out of the box and isn't too overbearing to carry.

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    This:

MP45c1.jpg

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Put the Taurus PT145 in consideration. Also 10+1 and much smaller than the glock 30. Not to bust on glock cause I own one, but the Taurus is smaller. Has a manual safety if you are uncomfortable with the glock for that reason. I love mine and have never had any problems.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I have a Colt 1911 Officer Model; it shoots great. Best advice I can give is for you to shoot a few different models. Don't know if you have access to a range but I know most people wouldn't mind if you asked them if you could try out their compact 45 (if you happen to see some at the range). Heck you may get an ear full on what gun is best. May help if you had your own ammo (with prices being what they are). I know at MCFG when I say "hey nice pistol" the response 9 of 10 times is "thanks you want to try it?"

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I love my Colt Officers Model! It is very accurate and feels very solid. Plus I can use my 8rd Colt mags as well as the original mag.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I have two compact 45's. I alternate carry between the two and go to the range with both of them at least once a month.

I have a XD45C which is the first compact 45 that I owned. It is a great gun, 4"barrel with a shorter grip and is a very good shooter. I have never had any kind of problem with this gun.

My second compact is a Colt Defender that I bought off this site at Christmas. I have put hundreds of rounds through this gun since Christmas with no problems. It is a 3" barrel, Stainless with Hogue grips. Good looking piece. Recoil is not bad at all, I have had my 12 year old grandson shoot this gun and the smile didn't leave his face for an hour.

I would recommend either of these guns as a first compact and a dependable weapon.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I'd take a hard look at the Para LDAs. I liked my C7.45 LDA (OM-sized) a lot and carried it often. I got extremely strapped with med expenses and had to sell it, which sucked.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    This is my all time favorite gun and my main carry gun. It has worked 100% out of the box for over 3 yrs now without issue. Great carry size, weight, & very accurate. I carry it in a Milt Sparks IWB #1 Heritage holster.

Kimber Tactical Ultra II

Kimber_Badge_011-1.jpg

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I carried a G30 for about a year and a half, great gun but a bit too fat for IWB carry for me.

I have very limited experience with chopped 1911's, but if you get one that is reliable they do make great carry guns.

Personally, if I thought I needed a .45acp compact, I would try the S&W M&P.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I would recommend a Glock 30. Easy to conceal and has 10+1 of .45 ACP.

+1 on the G30. Short frame recommended. 13+1 if you stuff it w/G21 mags (or you can carry a G21 mag as a backup). Similar in form factor to the G19.

For a .45 as small and light as it is, the felt recoil is disproportionally light. I think this is because the telescoping recoil rod/spring arrangement slows the slide velocity down near the end of it's travel so it doesn't slam back as hard as one might expect. But, this is perhaps a subjective thing.

Top Bottom