Columbus, IN newspaper headline: Local Firearms Dealer Under Investigation By Indiana

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    So, I'm just finished from meeting a fine gentleman from Jeffersonville at the midway point in Columbus, when I saunter into a Circle K. First the clerk gets irate that I try to refill my Burger King cup (-1 Circle K) but that's the subject of another thread.

As I'm standing in line in front of a woman who doesn't understand the meaning of personal space in her apparent meth-induced stupor, the woman in front has the paper flipped over to glance thru the obits. (Truth is stranger than fiction.) When her turn is next, she flips the paper back over and I see the headline: Columbus Firearms Dealer Under Investigation By Indiana AG.

Minding my HK P7 PSP, stoked with PowRBall ammo and riding in a FBI cant leather holster, I blade away from the methfiend to my strong-side weapon, carried at 330 position, under cover of my tactical hoody, so I don't reveal my concealment and lose all tactical elements of surprise.

I read the headline and got my free gander at the meat of the story: unpaid taxes for J&J Custom Firearms. The owner says only for the last three years. The State says for the last eight.

Sorry, no NFA scandal though it might be of interest if you've got a consignment or layaway there.

(For those that need purple, sorry. I can't do it easy from the Blackberry. However, for all of the sarcasm, the headline and story are as reported.)

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I took pics to prove it about 3 weeks ago. They're still on the camera. There is a sign on the door that says doing business there is a Class "X" Misdemeanor. Nice people there, but it's hard to run a business 2 days a week.

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    I stopped by one day while I was in town and had some time. The guy acted like I was bothering him just being there. He did have a nice mannlicher stocked Mauser though.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    DSCF0182.jpg

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I was so stoked when Columbus got a decent gun shop. I liked the guy. He wasn't trying to make me feel good about myself, but was very knowledgeable and let me handle his merchandise.

I guess I'll start shopping at Phoenix Guns. Locking your customers in while they shop is GREAT!

bcsd372

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Columbus
    The owner is a great guy and has been very supportive of our local Friends of NRA for years. He receives all the guns and does the transfers for free. Although the open hours are limited he has a loyal local business base. I can't understand the tax problems given he has probably the finest Colt collection in the state. Seems like he'd part with a few of those and get this mess behind him. I hope things get worked out.

Sig-Bandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Columbus
    Hate to see anyone have those problems but guys if you need anything firearms related in the Columbus area come see me at The Primitive Peddler Antique Mall at Eastbrook Plaza. Me and my wife run the store and we are now FFL dealers. The back part of my store will soon be open with all my displays, new and used handguns and long guns. I already have a great selection new AR's, Mossbergs, home defense shotguns, Glocks, Springfield,Para, and a couple Sigs coming next week and more. I am also direct and will be selling under MSRP with $15 transfers. Hope to see you soon our hours are M-Sat 10am to 5pm and Sundays from 1pm-5pm.

TX 1-812-372-2550 if you have any questions. Thank You.

For any of you that remember I am located in Stephensons old location.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Hate to see anyone have those problems but guys if you need anything firearms related in the Columbus area come see me at The Primitive Peddler Antique Mall at Eastbrook Plaza. Me and my wife run the store and we are now FFL dealers. The back part of my store will soon be open with all my displays, new and used handguns and long guns. I already have a great selection new AR's, Mossbergs, home defense shotguns, Glocks, Springfield,Para, and a couple Sigs coming next week and more. I am also direct and will be selling under MSRP with $15 transfers. Hope to see you soon our hours are M-Sat 10am to 5pm and Sundays from 1pm-5pm.

Glad you posted, I'll have to stop by! Best of luck to you.

cagilber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009

Is this new store inside a store called "The Primitive Peddler...." or is it a stand alone? I'm not too familiar w/ that shopping plaza.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I know Joe the owner very well. My Dad has done a lot of business with him. I stopped going in there except when I needed a rifle bore sighted. He never charged Dad or I sales tax. I knew it would catch up to him. It's a shame too. His wife had a bad stroke a while back. She is now confined to a wheel chair.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I was so stoked when Columbus got a decent gun shop. I liked the guy. He wasn't trying to make me feel good about myself, but was very knowledgeable and let me handle his merchandise.

I guess I'll start shopping at Phoenix Guns. Locking your customers in while they shop is GREAT!

Joe liked to tend to the high rollers. I, only shop at Acme Sports or Bite the Bullet. Phoenix guns is a joke I think. I hate to talk bad about people. When you, run a business though you need to treat people a little better. I, stopped in a while back to get some rem-oil and a box of ammo. He acted, like it was a burden for him to get up and run my debit card. After that day, I decided to never go back.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    Joe liked to tend to the high rollers. I, only shop at Acme Sports or Bite the Bullet. Phoenix guns is a joke I think. I hate to talk bad about people. When you, run a business though you need to treat people a little better. I, stopped in a while back to get some rem-oil and a box of ammo. He acted, like it was a burden for him to get up and run my debit card. After that day, I decided to never go back.

I've only ever dealt with the woman at Phoenix Guns. She was knowledgeable enough, but they weren't really willing to let any one handle the guns in the case AND THEY LOCK YOU IN THE STORE! Sure caution is a good thing, but FFS man. Locking me in your store to make sure I wont steal your crap is a little much. This isn't south central L.A. It's flipping Columbus IN. I like Acme sports a lot, but when I was in there last he had upped the price considerably on two or three guns I had been eyeing. This was when it was still cold out. By considerably I mean around $100 on a couple of .38spl and a .357 so I haven't really had an excuse to go back yet.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I'll have to check that out Sig-Bandit, been doing all my transfers at J&J because they had the best price, but you've got them beat... And I remember Stephenson's well, especially the smell...

I spoke with the owner (Joe) when I was in at J & J a couple weeks ago and he seemed pretty steamed about it, said there's months he knows he owes the state says he's paid, and months he's paid that the state says he owes. He told me they just can't seem to get the paperwork straight.

I know, there's always 3 sides to every story, just passing along what he told me personally. He does have a FINE Colt collection, and also shoots Mounted Cowboy Action shooting...

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

Not had very good luck with Phoenix myself... Small selection too.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    It's on 17th street. Behind Stat Ambulance.

I think he was referring to the Primitive Peddler, not J & J's, J & J's is on 17th beside Stat Ambulance, the Primitive Peddler is in the old Stephensons Coins, Firearms, and Pet Supplies location in Eastbrook Plaza, a couple down from the big grocery store (Sav-a-Lot?)

sorry I didn't see these all in time to make one post...

cagilber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Yah, I've been in J&J a few times...I found the other place tonight.

When I went by J&J tonight there was an unmarked police car (brown chevy impala) parked outside. Wonder if they are keeping track of people who purchase stuff?

Top Bottom