• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benjamin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I'm looking at getting a revolver in 357mag. I really like the pythons but I've also heard good things about Taurus and Smith&Wesson. I don't own a revolver and this would be the first. Also I've heard Ruger makes a good revolver. Any info or tips or personal preferences greatly appreciated.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Pythons are no longer made, and are VERY expensive. Only some of the Custom Shop S&Ws would be comparable in price to a Python in good shape. They are legendary for their beauty and their function. $1200 wouldn't be an out of line price.

S&W and Ruger revolvers are both excellent, though distinctly different. Rugers are much heavier built, Smiths have better triggers. Rugers don't cost quite as much.

Taurus makes good guns and good revolvers, but they aren't as smooth or finely finished at the others. This makes them cheaper, though.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    The Colt Python is a magnificent revolver. I don't think you can find a smoother action on any comparable size/caliber revolvers. The frames aren't as beefy as S&W and are rumored to have timing problems after a long, steady diet of hot loads, but I haven't seen it. They also have a fair amount of collectablity because they are no longer in production. (more is the pity.)

mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton
    I have seen Python's for as much as $1,999.00. It was in new condition however. Clearly not a shooter. $1,200.00 is not out of line for a shooter.
    I have seen a Colt King Cobra in .357 Mag for about $750. That might be a reasonable alternative if your heart is set on a Colt.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I don't think you can find a smoother action on any comparable size/caliber revolvers.

+1

lovemywoods' Python hammer doesn't "click", it goes "ding"!

15meio2.jpg

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    What You Gonna Use It For?

What are you going to use the revolver for? I have owned or shot them all.

Target - The Python's action is wonderfully smooth and the gun is extremely accurate. I think one of, if not the most, beautiful and sweetest shooting revolvers ever made.

Carry - All the brands named have excellent carry guns. The Python would not be the choice for carry. I carried the S&W 686 for work/duty for years. Great handgun!!!!!

Just to own - They're all good guns and get what you get a good deal on or the budget allows.

So what you gonna use it for?

Last edited:

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    If you are interested: Bradis had a Colt King Cobra, SS 6", asking $799. Fort Liberty has a King Cobra, blue 4", like new, asking $699. Both are negotiable. These are both very nice guns. I was seriously thinking of buy one, but went another direction. If they are still available in a month, I will probably get one. Good Luck.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Like the previous poster said, you need to define what you want to do with the firearm. That determines what gun to go after.

Here's my Python! The trigger is phenomenal! :rockwoot:

2nivedu.jpg

Last edited:

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Like the previous poster said, you need to define what you want to do with the firearm. That determines what gun to go after.

Here's my Python! The trigger if phenomenal! :rockwoot:

2nivedu.jpg

You have a python and I am just now finding out??????

WOW, should have brought that down to the range last time I was there! :D

Benjamin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I'm not looking for a carry gun. I want something that I can keep in the safe and get out every once in a while to show off. Still I want to be able to shoot it from time to time. I'm not talking about a plinker gun that I'm going to put a few thousand rounds through. Just a nice revolver that I can enjoy looking at and shoot the center out of paper targets with. I'm thinking a Python may be a little too nice. I just saw a combat elite on gun broker for more than 2k. I would not want to shoot a gun that nice.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    You have a python and I am just now finding out??????

WOW, should have brought that down to the range last time I was there!

Contrary to my mild-mannered outer appearance, I'm a "man of mystery!":n00b: You never know what lurks in the dark recesses of my gun safe...... [read with tongue in cheek!]

Next time you're here, you can take the Python out for a spin. :ar15:

Since you favor the solid feel of a 1911, you will feel right at home with the heft of the Python! It wouldn't be a good every day carry piece, but it would make a bodacious BBQ gun!!!

Thundorr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    fortville
    s&w makes great revolvers and it would be much cheaper than a colt python but if money isn't an issue the python would be an excellent choice

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Literally the Python would fit the bill if $$$$ isn't an issue. Otherwise I would get the S&W Model 686 (a great .357 stainless) 4 or 6 inch barrel is a matter of choice. Really can't go wrong with any of these choices.

Top Bottom