• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Drake.45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Ok 1911 fans I'm looking for some advise on a Commander style 1911. I have my choice narrowed down to the Colt XSE Commander (non-lightweight) and a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II HD. Both of these guys are all stainless.
    I'm looking for all around advise from customer service to the smallest parts.
    Thanks for your opinions guys and gals!:rockwoot:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have a Colt and a Kimber. It's a tough choice but I would say Colt.
    *note that I have not handled either of the guns listed in the op

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Nothing against Colt, but I prefer the Kimber. Both are great quality. I've shot both (full-size), the Kimber just feels better in my hand.

msk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    I have a Kimber Eclipse 2 and really like it. I almost bought a Gold Cup from a friend a few years ago, but ended up with the Kimber.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    My :twocents:

I started my 1911 journey with a Colt Double Eagle. Moved to a 70s series Colt LW Commander. In the end settled on Kimbers (have had several).

Personally, I prefer Series I. Do I shoot them enough to worry about the possibility of the extra safeties failing? Probably not. But I know they aren't there. There are a few current production models that don't have that either. I would assume both of the ones you listed have the extra safeties.

However, I think from looking at pix of the XSE, it uses a barrel bushing. The Pro size Kimbers do not - they are bushingless. Some say bushingless are more accurate. But they are also a little more difficult to strip down.

Obviously, requiring the extra piece to break down the Kimber Pro size doesn't bother me, as I have them. But those are the things I see different in the two. I'd say if these things don't matter, flip a coin.

I will say that years ago when I got my Pro Carry, I had issues with it locking back on an empty mag. Called Kimber support and they sent me a new mag catch right away. Can't speak to their customer service currently.

Drake.45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the input so far guys, I really appericate information so far that I have received. I am suprised to learn that the overall length is almost identical while the Colt has a 1/4" longer barrel. One thing I dont like about the Colt is that it comes with Ambi TS.

mwg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    east side indy
    I have the colt , love it . I read that if you get the kimber you will need to buy different mags. , the one that comes with it is junk .

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you don't like the ambi, change it.

Way back I was looking at the Pro Carry (just out), but wanted a SS frame, so got the Colt.
    IIRC the next yr Kimber brought out the HD version.

I have not regretted my choice.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That's a good choice to have to make. I voted Kimber, but only by the slightest of margins. It's true, the Kimber mags are junk out of the box, but I was able to get mine working well by installing a Wilson Combat mag rebuild kit in them. I was buying Colt mags for a while due to the cost and really did not see much of an improvement over the stock Kimber mags. My only Colt is a Delta Elite and I love the thing too. The only issue I've had with that is when new, magazines could not be inserted without pushing the mag release slightly. That disappeared in the first hundred rounds and the gun has been great since.

It's funny, but I voted Kimber and after thinking about how much I like the Colt, I'd probably recommend that instead. Either way, you'll have a great gun.

Top Bottom