• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    OK, So I picked up a Colt Mustang from the 90's with an alloy frame. I know the calibre is not so popular for personal protection, but I am a Colt fan and the price was right. Anyway, this thing is a single action, much like a 1911 but the safety is not positive. What I mean is that the safety comes off really easy as it appears there is nothing in the design to encourage it to stay put when activated.

So here is my concern. This thing is tiny. A real pocket pistol. But I am not real comfortable putting a single action pistol in my pocket with a safety that may or may not stay put.

Options I can think of might be having a pocket holster to help me keep my finger out of where it does not belong or perhaps carrying it 'hammer down' on a loaded chamber and cocking it when put into play. I would not consider carrying it without one in the pipe.

Anybody ever carry one of these? If you did, how did you carry it and did you ever find that the safety came off on it's own?

Last edited:

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Too expensive for my choice of a pocket pistol. I'd rather get a S&W Bodyguard for about 400. A Mustang costs about 600.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I would carry that particular pistol in a holster rather than a pocket, and I would carry it in condition 1, as intended. The safety on that pistol should be very positive (I have a friend who carries one and the safety detent is his is quite secure). I would think that you may have to fork over money for a new safety, but a gunsmith ought to be able to correct that particular issue pretty inexpensively.

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    I understand why you would buy that as it is a cool little gun. i just bought (layaway actually) a Browning 1910. Same question or concern (i think). For years it has been used as a CCW gun but I read that most wouldn't EDC the gun now as it is striker fired. Isn't a glock striker fired? Many peeps EDC glocks. is there a difference? I want to ccw this cool looking little .380 for certain situations. what are thoughts?

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    I carried a nickel plated Colt .380 Gov't a number of years ago for a while and I really liked it.
    I was using a SOB holster with a snap strap, I think it was a Bianchi.
    It was almost 20 years ago, and I can't remember the holster exactly.
    I always carried one in the chamber, with the safety on and the strap between the hammer and the firing pin.
    At that time, I carried Win Silvertips for ammo.
    Never had any issues with it and was sorry I sold it.
    My safety was always positive clicking and compared to some other Colts I have had, it functioned well.
    Now I have a Sig 238 Copperhead and I am really liking it.
    Very similar to the Mustang, but I like the factory night sights much better and hopefully I can find some better grips.

Tony7141

Marksman
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    May 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    I understand why you would buy that as it is a cool little gun. i just bought (layaway actually) a Browning 1910. Same question or concern (i think). For years it has been used as a CCW gun but I read that most wouldn't EDC the gun now as it is striker fired. Isn't a glock striker fired? Many peeps EDC glocks. is there a difference? I want to ccw this cool looking little .380 for certain situations. what are thoughts?
    I don't think that it being striker fired is why I wouldn't carry it. I carry strikes fired pistols every day, yes Glocks are striker fired as well as M&P's, XD's, Rugers SR9's etc.... I prefer the trigger pull of a striker fired pistol!!

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I still have a MK-IV series 80 that I bought new back in the late 80`s ? ........paid around $400 for it. I have carried it countless times and still do in the back pocket of my jeans, chambered, thumb safety on , hammer down ...........and have never had the safety come off . I wouldn`t get rid of it for anything.
    It is a pretty powerful , easily concealed gun. It`s my " going shopping" gun .

tge45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Allen CO
    I carried mine with a pocket holster condition one with out a problem. The safety should be stiffer, more stable than what you describe. There is a coil spring underneath the safety detent. It's easy to replace it and or the detent, also easy to loose when you take it apart. New parts might be available from Colt, Brownells, Jack First or Cylinder & Slide. I think Colt changed the safety slightly on the new 380.
    Regards, TGE

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I still have a MK-IV series 80 that I bought new back in the late 80`s ? ........paid around $400 for it. I have carried it countless times and still do in the back pocket of my jeans, chambered, thumb safety on , hammer down ...........and have never had the safety come off . I wouldn`t get rid of it for anything.

Did you mean hammer up? :dunno:

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I carried mine with a pocket holster condition one with out a problem. The safety should be stiffer, more stable than what you describe. There is a coil spring underneath the safety detent. It's easy to replace it and or the detent, also easy to loose when you take it apart. New parts might be available from Colt, Brownells, Jack First or Cylinder & Slide. I think Colt changed the safety slightly on the new 380.
    Regards, TGE
    Me too. The safety on my Mustang is quite firm. Yours could simply need a new spring. Get it fixed, you'll enjoy carrying and shooting it.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

Never heard of a SAO pistol you could carry hammer down, safety on. Guess you learn something every day

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I would carry that particular pistol in a holster rather than a pocket, and I would carry it in condition 1, as intended. The safety on that pistol should be very positive (I have a friend who carries one and the safety detent is his is quite secure). I would think that you may have to fork over money for a new safety, but a gunsmith ought to be able to correct that particular issue pretty inexpensively.

This^^^

Shot one for the first time a couple of weeks ago and the safety was solid.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Never heard of a SAO pistol you could carry hammer down, safety on. Guess you learn something every day

In case you have never held one............you can have the hammer released ( Forward position ) and still engage the safety.
    Though it doesn`t function exactly like a 1911 , you can also carry it locked and cocked if you choose.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I carried for a while with
    safety off
    1 in chamber
    hammer down

Just remember to pull hammer back for first shot.
    Must practice religiously.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    OK, So I picked up a Colt Mustang from the 90's with an alloy frame. I know the calibre is not so popular for personal protection, but I am a Colt fan and the price was right. Anyway, this thing is a single action, much like a 1911 but the safety is not positive. What I mean is that the safety comes off really easy as it appears there is nothing in the design to encourage it to stay put when activated.

So here is my concern. This thing is tiny. A real pocket pistol. But I am not real comfortable putting a single action pistol in my pocket with a safety that may or may not stay put.

Options I can think of might be having a pocket holster to help me keep my finger out of where it does not belong or perhaps carrying it 'hammer down' on a loaded chamber and cocking it when put into play. I would not consider carrying it without one in the pipe.

Anybody ever carry one of these? If you did, how did you carry it and did you ever find that the safety came off on it's own?

Ya prolly ought'a get it look'd at.....had mine since early 90's as well,no problem with safety EVER slip'n off....and yeah.....usually carry it just like ya see it...no holster,cok'd/lok'd....sometimes a vest pocket on the bike...same way...condition 1....NO problems.....:cool:

http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/x364/HarleyRider_50/Guns/

Top Bottom