• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dschantz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    I inherited a Colt 1917 from my Dad. He said that is was not nickel but chrome plated. I have looked around online and have not been able to find any 1917's that are anything but blued. This looks like a factory job to me since the edges lookj good and the lettering is very clear. Anyone have any information on this? Any input would be appreciated.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    If your 1917 has military markings and the finish is anything but blued or Parkerized, then it's not its original finish, no matter how well it's been done. While it's not outside the realm of possibility that a commercial New Service in .45 ACP could've been special ordered from Colt with a nickel-plate finish, chrome is out of the question.

If you're curious enough to put some time and cash into the research, contact Colt and, for a fee, they'll send you a letter detailing when it left the factory and in what configuration. IIRC, this isn't exactly cheap, but it will be definitive.

A Colt New Service/1917 with a documented factory nickel finish would be a rare and valuable collector's piece. Otherwise, chrome, nickel or what-have-you, the refinishing will have pretty much destroyed any collector value. It's relative value as a 'shooter' will depend on its overall mechanical condition and how much a particular person might be willing to give for it on a given day.

Top Bottom