• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'll admit my ignorance when it come to valuing a firearms manufacturer but $60M doesn't seem like much...Maybe I'm prejudiced by the kind of money my company throws around for new products at our tiny plant.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm ignorant like you, but I think it's a lot of money depending on the condition of the plant.

The manufacturing I am involved in would cost about $50 million to start up. Which is why there are no newcomers to the industry.

However, I imagine firearms utilize a lot of computer controlled machinery which is more costly than the stuff we use.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    So the question is why would Colt buy them? I always read that LWRC is top tier quality, but I think Colts are too so?!? What did they gain besides LWRC's facility and lineup?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Colt got more than just the company. They got it's human and engineering assets which it desperately needs. As popular is Colt is, the reality is they need to move forward in design, problem solving, and quality. The old Pony retired long ago and the new "Colt" needs to grow up.
    I'm a Colt fan and NOT bashing them but this is an overdue step forward. Hopefully they will make the move up a step or two

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    The only thing is, the majority of the time you have an acquisition means there will be downsizing and changes in the philosophy on policy and benefits. So may be good for the company, but not necessarily for the employees. Then there is always a chance of quality issues during transition. I've been there and seen it happen. However it may work out fine. It certainly looks like it worked out well for Bernstein. Anytime you can buy something for 5 mil and 6 years later sell for 60 mil, somebody will more than likely have some heavy pockets.:) Hope it works out well for them and the bang bangs:yesway:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    What's wrong with Colt quality? My LE6920 has performed flawlessly, and all parts fit very well. I've been to the range with the rifle 6 times (my first rifle) and I shoot < 2MOA groups @100yds, not too bad for an inexperienced noobie I think.

No malfunctions in the 750 or so rounds fired through it so far and all hit the paper.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    What's wrong with Colt quality? My LE6920 has performed flawlessly, and all parts fit very well. I've been to the range with the rifle 6 times (my first rifle) and I shoot < 2MOA groups @100yds, not too bad for an inexperienced noobie I think.

No malfunctions in the 750 or so rounds fired through it so far and all hit the paper.

Does the state of Connecticut still own part of Colt or did Colt pay them back? For a company who has a lot of military contracts, they seem to go bankrupt regularly.

Colt hasn't known to be the innovative type for quite some time. And when they did try something new, like the Double Eagle or the 2000 (ha), they aren't much for working right. The whole smart gun thing didn't catch on thankfully.

LWRC is at least innovative, they aren't afraid to try something new and they have good ideas.

Anyway, Colt will probably run LWRC into the ground due to bad management or they'll just shut them down and market everything under the Colt name and claim how they came up with everything LWRC did

You think Colt could come up with something like the LWRC PDW?

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Wow, I finished reading the replies and thought I was on M4Carbine.net! Lol, seriously though I wouldn't have bought an LWRC rifle before or after a sale. Nothing against the company at all but I am happy with what I have. :)

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    The one positive thing I saw in this was that LWRC will no longer be located in Maryland… Colt is great but hopefully those awesome LWRC rifles won't change under new ownership!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Colt doesn't even compare. And really until the 6920 their AR's sucked. And I would only consider a 6920 to be a middle of the road AR. They are nowhere close to what LWRC does.
    Just my opinion of course, and YMMV.
    Yep I totally agree. Anyone who has had lots of AR's has to know colts aren't even close to the quality of higher end AR manufacturers. Yeah they will run, most of the time :):

Newbies, if your gonna drop $1100 on an AR, I'm about to give you the best advice ..... Buy or build a palmetto AR and save afew hundred bucks. The small amount most people shoot Their AR's I have no idea why they buy ones for over $1k.

there are different levels of palmetto AR's. Get you a 1/7 mp c m4 upper and a blemished lower with a good parts kit (no ptac) and a good buffer and spring. A m16 bcg and you'll be good for the rest of your shooting life

Last edited:
    Top Bottom