• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    I've had a Colt / Umarex M4 carbine version for 2 years and it's a great little dedicated .22 rifle in my opinion. Mine will shoot anything you feed it. Been lot's of bad reviews on these guns but I wouldn't trade mine for a dozen S&W 15-22's. Upgrade it with a decent red dot and trade out the cheap stock for a Magpul CTR (a Mil spec will slide right on), pickup some extra 25 round mags and shoot the heck out of it. :yesway:
    You can even swap out the factory hand guard for a Mid length rail and add accessories to it.

JBSIXPACK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Martinsville, IN
    Made it to the range and fired a couple of mags through it. I'm pretty happy with it. Mine is the M16 SPR model with the fixed stock but I will probably put a adjustable one on it, and a scope .

Regular Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    NW Indiana
    JB, I picked one up in November and it works great. No problems. The only issue I had was on mine was that you don't have to loosen the barrel compensator like it says in the manual to take off tension on the take down pin. My pin comes out easily, but nothing is loose on the rifle. A Colt / Umarex tech rep told me that they made some design changes around the 50,000 serial number range to take care of that.

I'm curious--can you remove your rear takedown pin without loosening the barrel compensator on yours?

Also, if I were you I'd try to find some extra magazines. I picked up two 20-rounders two weeks before the shooting from Personal Choice Outfitters, and now they are sold out EVERYWHERE. Even the 10-rounders are sold out. You'll probably wind up having to get on a waiting list for them.

Here's a video link for complete disassembly, part 1; there's about 4 parts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8NRHODNqLw&list=PLVYjHoJwBcjOGt862bTD8UkiZ41GhIJvA&index=1

BudS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I also own the M4 version and have ran 2000 rounds thru it without a single FTF or FTE. I even cleaned out the old junk drawer with about 100 rounds of 25 year old remington .22lr's and no malfuntions at all. I like the weight and feel of the rifle, very close to the AR-15 of the same style.

The only thing I don't like is the 180 deg. safety. I wish it was like a traditional AR with a 90 deg. My only other gripe is the un-funtioning bolt catch/release alng with the dust cover that will not stay closed.

It is a chore to completely disassemble and clean, but it's not as bad as I first thought it would be.

All in all, a very good .22 for plinking and fun. All the fun of the AR-15 without the cost of ammo!

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I also own the M4 version and have ran 2000 rounds thru it without a single FTF or FTE. I even cleaned out the old junk drawer with about 100 rounds of 25 year old remington .22lr's and no malfuntions at all. I like the weight and feel of the rifle, very close to the AR-15 of the same style.

The only thing I don't like is the 180 deg. safety. I wish it was like a traditional AR with a 90 deg. My only other gripe is the un-funtioning bolt catch/release alng with the dust cover that will not stay closed.

It is a chore to completely disassemble and clean, but it's not as bad as I first thought it would be.

All in all, a very good .22 for plinking and fun. All the fun of the AR-15 without the cost of ammo!
    You must have the early model.
    I've had my M-4 for a couple of months.
    Mine has a 90 degree safety and the dust cover stays closed until the bolt is cycled. :dunno:
    The bolt release is non functional though.

Regular Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    NW Indiana
    You must have the early model.
    I've had my M-4 for a couple of months.
    Mine has a 90 degree safety and the dust cover stays closed until the bolt is cycled. :dunno:
    The bolt release is non functional though.

Yes, the safety was changed to 90 degrees and the dust cover issue was also resolved at the 50,000 serial mark according to Colt / Umarex.

astenftenagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Dubois Co.
    I own the same rifle, only had it for about 2 months, but i love mine, i put a 2x7 scope on it, and it works good, but if you're looking to put a scope on it make sure you use taller mounts or else when you look through the scope on lower magnification settings you'll see the pyramid sights on the front of the gun.

Regular Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Mine has S/N 61,XXX. I may need to look into this further

That's odd--when I emailed tech support I asked specifically about the rear takedown pin, and when the safety was changed; that's what the guy replied back with--somewhere in the 50,000 range. Mine is 77,XXX.

The guy must have been mistaken. If you find anything out, let us know!

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    JB, I picked one up in November and it works great. No problems. The only issue I had was on mine was that you don't have to loosen the barrel compensator like it says in the manual to take off tension on the take down pin. My pin comes out easily, but nothing is loose on the rifle. A Colt / Umarex tech rep told me that they made some design changes around the 50,000 serial number range to take care of that.

I'm curious--can you remove your rear takedown pin without loosening the barrel compensator on yours?

Also, if I were you I'd try to find some extra magazines. I picked up two 20-rounders two weeks before the shooting from Personal Choice Outfitters, and now they are sold out EVERYWHERE. Even the 10-rounders are sold out. You'll probably wind up having to get on a waiting list for them.

Here's a video link for complete disassembly, part 1; there's about 4 parts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8NRHODNqLw&list=PLVYjHoJwBcjOGt862bTD8UkiZ41GhIJvA&index=1

Excellent disassembly and cleaning video Regular Guy ! Thanks for the link :yesway:

BudS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Jeffersonville, IN
    That's odd--when I emailed tech support I asked specifically about the rear takedown pin, and when the safety was changed; that's what the guy replied back with--somewhere in the 50,000 range. Mine is 77,XXX.

The guy must have been mistaken. If you find anything out, let us know!

I emailed Colt/Umarex. I havent received a reply yet. I'll keep you posted.

Top Bottom