Colt 1877 D.A. "Lightning"--repair, or not to repair?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    I've got a Colt 1877 D.A. in .38, original rubber grips, nickel finish at about 70% on the frame (not so good on the cylinder), serial number in the 89000s, which I think puts it somewhere in the late 1880s or 1890s for manufacture date. Bore is a little dark, but I can see the lands clearly.

Only real problem with the gun is that the hammer is stuck in the half-cock position. I'm half tempted to open her up and see if there's an easy fix--the other half of me thinks it's better not to mess with it.

Opinions? :popcorn:

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    82   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    I have never opened one of these up, but have heard they are a nightmare to work on... but don't know.
    Many small pins and springs and small weak parts that's why most all you see at the shows are non functional.

on the other hand, does the cylinder move? I had one that did not work and found the cylinder pin was frozen in place making it non functional.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I think you should just give it to me :D

but seriously it wouldnt hurt to get a smith to look at it and give you the advice you want ...im sure any reputable smith would take a look and evaluate it for next to nothing ....:ingo::patriot:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Lightenings are very cool old guns, but tye really area nightmare internally. May smith's that are good guys with SAA's will not touch the early Double Action Colts. I'm at a loss as to your problem. how did it get into the condition it's in now? I mean were you working the action double action, single action, dryfiring? Lwet us know a bit more and maybe someone could help you.

Doug k

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    It came that way--got it for $50 from a guy who didn't see any use for a gun that wouldn't shoot.

I messed around with it a little this afternoon (partial dissasembly, leaving the hammer and trigger group in and intact), mostly just applying judicious breakfree and jiggling things. I got the hammer free and got the action to work, but the trigger wouldn't reset without a little nudge forward. When I reassembled and cocked the hammer, it once again stuck in the half-cock position. :dunno:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I had one about 20 years ago...got mine in a trade, luckly mine worked good. After I heard how they have their problems, I traded it. They do have some value...problems or not you made a good deal.

Indycar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Birthplace of Steve McQueen
    Contact Verne Trester, he's the only gunsmith around that I know has worked on these. I have a .41 Long Colt Thunder that was my Grandfather's that I have to have him work on.

Verne Trester, Firearms and ballistics expert witness testimony

PS: Don't even think of trying it yourself. Those old Colt's relied on "balancing" of leaf spring tensions to operate. Change the tension, the gun don't work

ballistic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Working on 1877 Colt for friend. got everything working except single action(Can push sear into cocked position with punch and will hold hammer). Sear length from spring notch to tip is .504, does not touch stud on trigger when operated. Is the function of the sear spring to move sear into fire position when the trigger releases it? Did fire some double action groups with plastic bullets. Thanks for any help with this.

Top Bottom