• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I recent went camping for the first time in a year and have decided to get a new tent. I'm looking at the Coleman Montana 8. Its a little bigger than I need but amazon has a good deal on it right now at 119. Anyone have any feedback on these or other options around the same price that might also be good?:ingo:

thatguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I'm not personally a big fan of Coleman Tents. I find them to be cheap in both quality and price. Looking at the description, this is more of a car camping sort of deal. To that end it's probably a fine tent.

I'd encourage you to store the poles uncollapsed. I've found it tends to be easier on the elastic. Also, make sure you air it out after any use.

Last edited:

dswilson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Shelby County
    Don't. Stop thinking aboout it. I have one In the garage and it is a POS. I would offer to sell you mine at a discounted price but you so far seem to be a decent human bring.

Last edited:

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I will second the Eureka, mine is over 25yrs old and still holding up like a champ (although a 10yr hiatus probably helped.) I have also had good luck w/ Cabelas, but our Bass Pro got us soaked when winds got past 40mph in a downpour.

Depending on your budget, modes of camping, and tent size requirements, there are a number of quality tents to choose from at various price points (I am just not convinced Coleman makes any of them.)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I inherited an old family sized Coleman tent from the 1960's. The quality was very good, but it was really heavy and way too big. The new the new chinese made tants that coleman sells are pretty poor. Mine broke a support the first time out. They replaced it, but it definately is not a quality unit. If you only camp out one or two weekends a year, it will probably work. If you want to have a good one, look elsewhere. Just my opinion.

redhead

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Well I've had a Coleman 4 person that has been in a few states on various hunting and camping trips and has see a lot of use. Heck its held up great under al kinds of weather. I'd be a little leary when people say something sucks, if you maintain what you have typically it will last. Get what you can afford, if you'll be living in it maybe spend more.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I have a Eureka Timberline 4 tent, I bought it 18 years ago. It has been in snow, rain, heat, sleet, torrential downpours, raging wind, sand, dirt, river water, sub zero temperatures, and just about everything else that Ma Nature can throw at it. I figure I have slept in that tent for about 300 nights. I have replaced one zipper in it, and sealed the seams every two years. They run about $250 now, I think I bought mine new at Galyans in Plainfield for about $120.00 or so.

Some of the best money I have ever spent. It is no longer dark green, but more of a lighter, faded green. I would not hesitate to buy a Eureka product ever.

My scout troop has about 15 of these tents, ranging in age from about 12 years to almost brand new. They wear like iron.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    Bought an Eureka Windriver Dome tent back in the early '80's. It has been on turkey hunts, deer hunts and camping trips here in Indiana. Antelope hunts on the plains of eastern Wy. Elk hunts in the Rocky Mt's of Colorado as well as camping trips to the Rocky Mt. Nat. Park.

Not one issue with this tent.... :rockwoot:

Money well spent!!!!!! :D

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    sounds like it may be worth my time to do some research on the Eureka brand. I haven't bought a tent since I was a kid and now that I have one of my own (although not old enough to enjoy camping yet) a couple of buddies and I have decided we're going to make a tradition of it.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    sounds like it may be worth my time to do some research on the Eureka brand. I haven't bought a tent since I was a kid and now that I have one of my own (although not old enough to enjoy camping yet) a couple of buddies and I have decided we're going to make a tradition of it.

The old adage "you get what you pay for" really applies to tents... especially no-name or some discounter's brand. The real test is what it will do in a down-pour with some wind. The cheap stuff is great as long as the weather is dry... I like my Eureka Timberline (4-man, really nice for 2). Classic design and look for the outfitter's model. It has reinforceed seams and heavier material and zippers. This thing will stand in a gale if you stake it out. it will last a very long time and you can ask Eureka to re-waterproof it for you after a decade or so.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Sooo generally you guys say the Coleman tents are a no go... dangit was gonna get one of those instant tents... I'm looking around for a basecamp tent too, but looking for something that takes no experience or thought to put up and take down in the dark type of thing...

What do you guys think of the Guide Gear tents sold by Sportsmans Guide ? Was looking at the teepee style ones...

Guide Gear 18x18' Teepee Tent - 884278, 7 & 8 Person Tents at Sportsman's Guide

Not trying to thread jack, thought my question would help the op in his quest though...

Last edited:

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    I have never been in one of those, but a good friend of mine has one of these that we have camped in:

Crow Tipi

He has a canvas floor that goes in it as well as a wood stove. Slept in it at 9,300 feet in the Colorado Rockies, very warm. :D

To the OP, for something that will last, canvas is a great tent, check out some of those if you are wanting something along that line, sorry for getting off topic....

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    den57, that looks pretty solid, but a bit more to pack up and try to put up in the middle of the night... Thankyou for the link though...

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    While I would normally try to sell you a RV, I see you are set on a tent.

We have just starting selling the Eureka line of tents at my dealership ( I stock other brands as well). Look around and PM me what you would like. I can get great prices on tents and have them dropped shipped to your home.

Top Bottom