• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Hey INGO I need some new cold weather gear , so school me . I have a couple of things I'm looking for , must be water / wind proof , must be durable enough to work in and take a beating , preferably locally available , upper and lower or one piece , insulated , water proof boots and if possible I'd like to stay at $ 500 or less . What's the recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If you're not trying to be "urban tactical" (or "urban tacticool"), check out the various military surplus sites for recent-issue military wear. The current environmental sets are fairly comprehensive through a large range of temperatures and conditions. If you don't mind "camo" wear, Dick's or Gander Mountain carries a full line of hunting apparel that will work well for outer and intermediate-layer clothing at relatively reasonable prices. Both hunting clothing and military wear are designed to take a beating outdoors. Unless you need to worry about fire (like "taking fire" or "fighting fire") synthetics underwear is available through places like Sportsman's Guide. Personally, I like Thor-Lo boot socks. I've worn them under Cove Boot Company Matterhorn boots in pretty miserable conditions and they've done a good job for me. In my experience, just about any Gore-Tex or Kevlar lined boot - even the current military "intermediate climate" boots - will keep your feet warm and dry as long as the rest of you is warm and dry. Synthetic boots have the advantage of generally not absorbing moisture if they get wet or your feet sweat (like mine do). Currently, I have two different sets of synthetic long underwear that I was issued in the Guard: One set is NOMEX (and expensive) but the other set is basically the same stuff you can buy at COSTCO or Gander Mountain. The next layer up is a heavier set of underwear; then normal clothing (no denim, please); then the first overlayer, which is usually a fleece jacket and bib pants. Then the next layer is insulated parka and pants (I've seen these "Michelin Man" coats at the Indy1500 selling for as little as $60) and the final layer is a Gore-Tex (or similar material) Parka and Pants. I carry the commercial camouflage hunting equivalent of this last layer in my BOB (because unlike military issue Gore-Tex, it's treated to be silent) as well as a base layer and two pairs of socks. For the rest, I generally dress for the worst weather I think I'm going to be facing outdoors, whether I'm going to church or to the park, because you can always take layers of insulation off if you don't need them.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I have the Under Armour Base 3.0 for winter camping. I can add other layers on top as needed but the UA is definitely good stuff. BassPro has a "Redhead" version that is quite a bit cheaper and looks good but I haven't tried it.

I have used the 180s Ear Muffs for several years. They keep my ears safe from the wind and cold while camping or watching football games. They are comfortable anf fit in your pocket if they get too warm.

Your activity level will impact what you need. Sitting in a tree all day waiting on a deer requires different gear than splitting wood.

Last edited:

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Boots=- Go to your DSW shoe store and find a pair of Sorrel or Kamik pack boots. I scored a pair of Kamiks with extra removable wool felt soles for $60.00. If you need work boots with molded or steel toes check Sierra trading Post on line.
    Clothing - I have rain gear that is German Military and British military Gore Tex. Both have held up incredibly well and each suit cost well under $100. Check Sportsman's Guice online.
    For work clothes I am a Carharrt fan. Once again, Sierra Trading post. I had a sandstone "Arctic Parka" for 20 years before someone gave me a new one and I gave the old one away. It was still in one piece and going strong. I have a Carharrt insulated coverall I hunt in which is stupid warm and tougher than Dean Martiin's liver.

For $500 you could be Very Well set for winter weather.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Carhartt artic coat 120.00, carhartt artic bibs 120.00, carhartt trapper hat 40.00, Lacrosse ice king boots 150.00, total 430.00. Leaves you 70.00 for gloves. This is what I use and can stay out in sub 0 temps for hours. I have not found anything warmer than these.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Indiana Self Defense has some fleece underalls. Like overalls but for under the cloths. Cheap-new in the pakage
    Got 3 pairs for the fam months ago

indyjack

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    i found some used snowboarding gear at goodwill last year. (pants and jacket) extremely warm and durable!!! not sure if i'd go camping in them (they may melt in the fire), but they're designed to take all other sorts of beatings. colors are usually pretty loud tho i managed to find a mostly brown set.

BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I've spent a good number of winters working outside and hunting, and I am on the same page with possum here (he's giving you some good real world advice). The LaCrosse boots are great, just be aware that they will rub your legs raw so be sure and wear high socks and polypro long johns. I also like wearing a hood, wool sock hat, and Carhart neck gaiter, but sometimes wear a Duluth down trapper hat. For gloves, I like polypro liners with a pair of G.I. leather palmed mittens. Last, if I am going to be walking or moving around, unlined carhart bibs are more comfortable than lined ones. Carhartts are great - just don't wash them too much because they seem to lose the ability to repel water.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Under armour long underwear (shirt/pant) as a base layer, I have grown to hate Carhartts, give me some base layers and a light water proof/windproof jacket and I will keep moving, screw being all Carhartted up and not being able to move, I do own full Article lined Carhartts BTW.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I work in a ice cream/frozen food warehouse and the freezers we work in are set at -20 and can get close to -30 with windchill if all of the A/C unit fans are on. They supply us with refridgiwear brand gear. Iron-Tuff Freezerwear | refrigiwear.com

They supply us with the iron tuff gear and it is great stuff. I usually just wear jeans on bottom and just a thermal shirt and a hoody on top and I stay warm all day long 8-10 hours a day. Don't know how available it is local but I'm sure some uniform stores might stock it.

pgfrmr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Fishers
    Lacrosse Ice Kings are awesome boots if your gonna be in sub zero weather. They are big and bulky but they work. Gander had em on sale before Christmas.

Top Bottom