• ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    From head to toe:

I wear a stocking cap, with a SAS pull over.

For the torso I wear a climbing shirt (or Under Armour that is all the rage) with a t-shirt over it. I wear insulated ski sweaters (Sahalie, Beretta, etc.) over this. The ones from Sahalie from Iceland I really like as the insulation keeps me toasty and the wool keeps it that way even if I get wet.

I prefer the ski sweaters over thick coats as it allows more mobility and I find them easy to pull up during the drawstroke.

Long pants with wool hiking socks and North Face boots.

I make no change to my carry set up. 1911 IWB, bug on the left side and a Smith J frame on the ankle.

Tips:

Stay dry, stay warm.

Whatever coat you have, ensure that you cut off or trim any strings or straps from the inside as these can tie up the drawstroke or interfere with operation of the pistol.

Last edited:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    In the car

One thing I take into consideration is that when I am seatbelted in my car with a long coat on it effectively prevents me from reaching my gun. I will take it out of the holster and place it in the console under those circumstances.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Some helpful winter hints (in no specific order):

• Make sure your gun(s) function 100% in the cold with the ammo you carry and with the lube you will have on the gun when you carry it. You can't assume. You have to go to the range and fire it. Preferably leave it secured somehow overnight so it's cold (your body will keep it warm when you carry) if you can to see how it really does in cold weather.
    • If you carry IWB or OWB, consider moving one of your guns to appendix position. Regardless of how you clear your garments, it's probably going to be easier access there than anywhere else.
    • If your coat has snaps and a zipper, just use the snaps. You'll lose some of the insulating power of your coat, but it's easy to pull the snaps open to clear you coat and access your firearm.
    • Consider an additional gun in an outside pocket. The obvious choice is a smaller revolver with a concealed or shrouded hammer. In a worst case scenario, you can fire it from you pocket without malfunction.
    • If you wear gloves, make sure you can shoot effectively in them (i.e. actually go to the range, draw your gun, and shoot some rounds)
    • If you wear mittons or gloves that make it difficult or impossible to access, draw/present, and shoot, either get different gloves or have a plan (and practice) on how you're going to remove your gloves if you need to access your weapon. Either way, you need to know how your whole plan works while wearing your coat and your gloves.
    • If you incorporate movement into you defensive plan, make sure you take into account slippery conditions that may impede your movement or cause you to slip and fall. Have a plan on what to do if you go down, and know how to shoot from both prone and supine positions (and anywhere in between).
    • If you go out at night, you'll also have to consider how to manage your light and incorporate it into your plan.
    • Keep your mobile phone easily accessible.
    • Take into account when you make your plans that you may lose a significant amount of manual dexterity in the cold, both because you core temperature drops as well as if your hands get wet. If you have not tried to access, draw/present, and fire your weapon with cold, wet hands, you probably should to see what it's like.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    It opens up alot more options for me, Carry wise I am glad winter is here. Now I can carry OWB, Paddle holster, Shoulder holster, jacket pocket. In the summer I all but give up on CC.

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    It's still not cold enough for me to wear a jacket unless I think I'm going to be walking outside for any considerable amount of time. A pullover or hoodie is good enough for me right now, until the temperatures are in the teens. I don't work outside. I wear fitted hoodies so I print quite a bit with my full size, but when I wear my jacket you cannot see it.

I take the pistol out and put it in my center console when I'm driving with a jacket on. With a sweater or hoodie I pull it up over the weapon, so it's easily accessible still.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    The "somewhat purplish" one has a great list of reminders. I've done cold weather practice with my standard carry weapon and also a few others that may be used from time to time and found there is a LOT of merit to the notion of practicing with in the cold.

A few additional suggestions and comments (as with rhino...in no particular order):

- Very cold guns shoot differently. By that I mean you just do not hold and control a very cold weapon like you do in August on the square range.

- All lubes are not created equal. Just like with the oil for your car, gun lubes are different in many cases and some tend to get a little "slow" in extreme cold which can throw off the timing of slide cycling and lead to FTF issues. Try yours so that you know.

- When you are shooting with gloves, practice reloads and FTF clearing too. Think Murphy here.

- Shoot with cold, wet hands. Try dunking them in a bucket of water on a 15-degree day before you shoot. You'll experience all sorts of new grip and functional issues. Before you start thinking "but that would never happen" think about melted snow alongside the highway. Fall in some of that during a SHTF road situation and you'll have to deal with this issue whether you practiced it or not.

- Have a good way to rewarm your hands if you do the above. It's very important - ask me how I know!

- Jackets are tough. Just know that. A good Henley-style shirt, sweatshirt or sweater over an undershirt will provide good concealment and is much easier to clear than a zip up jacket. I do wear jackets too, but prefer not if I can get away with it without freezing.

- Ankle holsters ride differently with boots in some cases.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I carry appendix when off so in winter I can wear an undershirt which makes it a tad bit more comfortable. I rarely wear a coat, usually a pull-over at most. Cold does not bother me much so I don't go overboard in clothing. Carrying appendix allows me to carry in all weather as long as the shirt is untucked (it always is). It seems like for the last few years, one of my pistol inservice and rifle inservice are always in the cold. Usually the temp is around 10-20 degrees when I'm out there. As a result, I am able to test out my cold weather gloves and gear. I have found what works and what doesn't. The new UnderArmour cold weather gloves I have now are near perfect. I can load mags and manunipulate/fire my rifle/pistol/shotgun while wearing them and stay warm. The all fleece UnderArmour gloves I had would allow me to do that but were not as warm. I will wear UA cold weather gear under my uniform if it is below 25 out. I hate coats, I do not like being bulky.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for the additions, SC!

As far as lubes go, in my experience, the following lubes do not substantially change their physical properties in cold weather (I've done this down to -11 F):

Oil/CLP: FP-10, WeaponShield
    Grease: TW25B

There are probably others, but those are the lubes I use and have verified do not impede the function of my firearms in cold weather.

Most greases can be troublesome. For instance, I have little use for the much touted Slide-Glide, and even the thinner version can cause function problems in the cold weather. On the other hand, Tetra Grease is substantially similar to TW25B and would probably work well in the cold (always test to make sure!).

Oils and CLPs can vary quite a bit. Just make sure your combination of gun/lube/ammo works.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Winter is here and it is finally getting colder.

How do you dress?

Do you make any allowances in how you carry?

Any tips you can provide?

I wear a coat, hoodie, and jeans. If I am going to be outside for any length of time, I will wear a pair of thermal pants under my jeans. I also keep a cap and gloves with me in the car in case I need them. I don't change how I carry my gun, but if I feel the need, I can carry a Glock 27 in an ankle holster if need be.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Thanks for the additions, SC!

As far as lubes go, in my experience, the following lubes do not substantially change their physical properties in cold weather (I've done this down to -11 F):

Oil/CLP: FP-10, WeaponShield
    Grease: TW25B

There are probably others, but those are the lubes I use and have verified do not impede the function of my firearms in cold weather.

Most greases can be troublesome. For instance, I have little use for the much touted Slide-Glide, and even the thinner version can cause function problems in the cold weather. On the other hand, Tetra Grease is substantially similar to TW25B and would probably work well in the cold (always test to make sure!).

Oils and CLPs can vary quite a bit. Just make sure your combination of gun/lube/ammo works.
    I use SLiP2000 exclusively on all my firearms. I can vouch that it does not thicken even in near zero weather. It has been so cold during the 6hrs or so I am out in the weather for inservice that I can feel the cold pistol through my gloves when I grab it...that is cold. My AR in cold weather loves the stuff as well.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    Not to change the original topic too much, but does the functioning of revolvers change much in the cold? The concerns that have been mentioned so far seem to be for autos.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I carry the same in the winter as I do in the summer. I hate wearing coats so it's just usally a hoodie over my t-shirt and thermal. I use a IWB with my glock 27.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I dress in layers. Still carry my main handgun the same IWB at about 330 position. Only thing I do a little different is move my BUG more. I usually carry it in my back pocket. With the extra layers of clothing sometimes I will move it to a coat pocket as I feel necessary. Also I will often remove it from my pocket when I get into my truck and have it accessible when I am sitting. When I get out I put it back in my pocket.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You really have to test out your carry routine. I've had more than one occurrence where layer two or three ended up in my holster with the gun or between the gun and my hand. It's embarrassing in class, but could be deadly in the real world.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Winter is here and it is finally getting colder.

How do you dress?

Do you make any allowances in how you carry?

Any tips you can provide?

Yes I make changes. Normally I carry two guns in winter. I usually carry IWB. Then I carry a PF9 in my winter coat. The reason is my winter coat has slash chest level pockets, very easy to get a gun out. Its like carrying a shoulder rig. The pockets are very deep so I have to us a pancake holster designed for a Sig. Works great.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Cold does not bother me much so I don't go overboard in clothing.
    I really envy you guys!:) I hate being cold, and my motor skills start to deteriorate well before guys like you even get uncomfortable. My cold weather motorcycling experience has taught me to recognize that human performance can be as important as machine performance in these conditions, when even mild hypothermia is setting in. (throttle hand gets unsteady, reaction times slow down, get lazy about "covering the brake lever" in situations you know are dangerous.) This will be my first winter carrying, so everyones suggestions are particularly on point for me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I really envy you guys!:) I hate being cold, and my motor skills start to deteriorate well before guys like you even get uncomfortable. My cold weather motorcycling experience has taught me to recognize that human performance can be as important as machine performance in these conditions, when even mild hypothermia is setting in. (throttle hand gets unsteady, reaction times slow down, get lazy about "covering the brake lever" in situations you know are dangerous.) This will be my first winter carrying, so everyones suggestions are particularly on point for me.

Indeed! Make sure you keep your core warm. A good hat and scarf will go a long way to help with that because you lose a lot of heat from your head and neck. If you keep the central part of your body warm enough, you won't need gloves as much.

Top Bottom