• ...and so much more!
  • cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Edit: updated with my results in post #28

Is it just me, or does this seem like a great weekend to verify the cold weather functionality of those AR uppers?

Before I go out, though, is there any winter prep I should do for the rifle?

Besides functional reliability, is there anything particular I should be looking for?

I plan on testing both a factory upper and one I assembled myself. I might get chilled, but I think it will still be "fun" :ar15:

Last edited:

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Make sure "you" are prepared! Layers, gloves and don't cheat yer feet either! Stay hydrated! It's just as important in the frigid weather as it is when it's hot.
    The rifle, if properly lubricated, should fare just fine. Plastics can be a bit sensitive to impact when it's near 0 degrees.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Watch where you put your nose in relation to the charging handle. It will stick. Our winter off hand matches are the second Sunday. Most rifles function OK historically.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Watch where you put your nose in relation to the charging handle. It will stick. Our winter off hand matches are the second Sunday. Most rifles function OK historically.

I have been there on the stuck nose. Checking the weather some more, I am trying to find a window on Monday since I really wanted to test in single digits or below. As I understand things, getting down in those temps should help expose any lingering gas system issues in the upper I put together.

BTW, do most folks run the same CLP in the cold or do they switch out? I seem to remember the CLP being blamed for cycling issues in our A2s when it got near zero one weekend, but that was many moons ago and my memory could be jumbled.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    A few tips.

Don't take the rifle in and out of the cold. Doing that is asking for condensation when you bring it in, then when you go out, it freezes.

If your serious about shooting in the cold. Find some LAW.
    $(KGrHqV,!qsE-ZP9LYgJBPzCdDocOQ~~60_12.JPG

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    I'm also interested in the results. I keep a 10.5" AR pistol with an EOTech in the car and I worry about cold and heat. After thinking about it, I figured if it works in temps found in the sandbox, it should work for me. I may consider running strictly iron sights though. Not sure if I want to keep putting the EOTech through the abuse.

+1 on the CLP though. All I use and has never frozen or set up on me.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend

Wear a balaclava, no sticky and your face will be nice and warm.

A few tips.

Don't take the rifle in and out of the cold. Doing that is asking for condensation when you bring it in, then when you go out, it freezes.

If your serious about shooting in the cold. Find some LAW.
    $(KGrHqV,!qsE-ZP9LYgJBPzCdDocOQ~~60_12.JPG

Yikes that's gonna be hard/expensive to find. I'd think regular CLP would work fine in the 0 to -15 degree weather.

Is it just me, or does this seem like a great weekend to verify the cold weather functionality of those AR uppers?

Before I go out, though, is there any winter prep I should do for the rifle?

Besides functional reliability, is there anything particular I should be looking for?

I plan on testing both a factory upper and one I assembled myself. I might get chilled, but I think it will still be "fun" :ar15:

Sounds like a fun plan!

white-eye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Boone county
    I threw my glock 21 out the door last night into a snow drift, going to dig it out this afternoon and run a couple mags through it, a little artic torture test if you will.

Top Bottom