• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    I've received some GREAT advice from these forums. THANK YOU!

Concerning carrying, I've continued to hear the chorus: "cocked and locked." I do that. I carry a small Taurus semi-auto and I keep one chambered with the safety on. I practice drawing and having the thumb do its job.

Some semi-autos don't have those kinds of safeties. What's the rule for those? Cocked and... walk closer to the edge?

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Doesn't apply in the case of the Glock and other "Safe Action" pistols. Unlike hammer guns, the Glock uses a striker system that has the firing pin resting near the middle of its travel (neither against the primer nor at the rear under full spring compression). Pulling the trigger picks up the firing pin and draws it fully to the rear (building full spring compression) and then releases it. I've never heard of a chambered Glock firing unless the trigger was pulled. Anyone else?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I've received some GREAT advice from these forums. THANK YOU!

Concerning carrying, I've continued to hear the chorus: "cocked and locked." I do that. I carry a small Taurus semi-auto and I keep one chambered with the safety on. I practice drawing and having the thumb do its job.

Some semi-autos don't have those kinds of safeties. What's the rule for those? Cocked and... walk closer to the edge?

Most revolvers also don't have a separate safety.

A Single Action (SA) gun with the hammer back has a very light trigger with very short length of trigger pull. As such, if one is going to carry it with the hammer back then a separate safety is essential.

Striker fired guns have a longer and harder trigger pull and incorporate designs that are more resistant to a very slight pull on the trigger firing the gun.

There is no real "rule" per se, carry however you see fit and practice being safe with your method of carry. At the very least have a holster that covers the trigger assembly and practice being aware of how you holster your weapon to avoid snagging clothing and the like in the trigger. The important thing is to train with your method of carry until it is natural for you.

No gun is safe. A manual safety on a gun only adds a step and people still make the gun fire when they don't intend to. Pithy sayings won't help the person who barely knows how to use their gun because they are afraid of practicing with it.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    At the very least have a holster that covers the trigger assembly and practice being aware of how you holster your weapon to avoid snagging clothing and the like in the trigger.

I understand the vast majority of ND shootings with Glocks and the like occur when the chambered weapon is holstered with the shooter's finger still inside the trigger guard. When the weapon won't holster, ya just naturally push harder and BOOM! Leg shot.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    It depends on what I'm carrying, all will have one in the chamber.
    If I'm carrying one of my 1911's cocked and locked. If its my Sig, one chambered, using the manual de-cocker hammer is lowered, first shot will then be DAO the rest will be in SA mode.

Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    Most revolvers also don't have a separate safety.

A Single Action (SA) gun with the hammer back has a very light trigger with very short length of trigger pull. As such, if one is going to carry it with the hammer back then a separate safety is essential.

Striker fired guns have a longer and harder trigger pull and incorporate designs that are more resistant to a very slight pull on the trigger firing the gun.

There is no real "rule" per se, carry however you see fit and practice being safe with your method of carry. At the very least have a holster that covers the trigger assembly and practice being aware of how you holster your weapon to avoid snagging clothing and the like in the trigger. The important thing is to train with your method of carry until it is natural for you.

No gun is safe. A manual safety on a gun only adds a step and people still make the gun fire when they don't intend to. Pithy sayings won't help the person who barely knows how to use their gun because they are afraid of practicing with it.

So, since my SA mode gun is fully cocked, the trigger action should be easier and the safety simply locks the mechanism to (hopefully) ensure no oopsies.

I found info that suggests the trigger pull of Glock's "safe action" is 5.6 lbs. at .5 inches of travel. Dunno if that's true. And I can't find info regarding my gun.

Where can I find such data? Or could someone help me compare? I have the Taurus pt111 g2. It could be compared (I think) to the Glock 26. The comparison would be for trigger pull force (SA) and trigger travel.

Last edited:

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    So, since my SA mode gun is fully cocked, the trigger action should be easier and the safety simply locks the mechanism to (hopefully) ensure no oopsies.

I found info that suggests the trigger pull of Glock's "safe action" is 5.6 lbs. at .5 inches of travel. Dunno if that's true. And I can't find info regarding my gun.

Where can I find such data? Or could someone help me compare? I have the Taurus pt111 g2. It could be compared (I think) to the Glock 26. The comparison would be for trigger pull force (SA) and trigger travel.

The trigger pull on a G17, 19, and 26 are all 5.5 lbs. stock out of the box. Travel is .49 in. I have my 26 modified so it is no longer 5.5, but those are the factory specs.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    My internal hammer Taurus TCP has a very heavy trigger pull. Not very long, but very heavy. Because of this, I am completely confident in the safety of the firearm, even though it has no safety. I also know how to keep my finger off the trigger. ;)

Last edited:

Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    Ok, so now the revelation that my Taurus is striker fire just like the Glock. Hmmmm... So I have a Glock-like gun that includes a thumb safety. Ideally, when my confidence and skill warrant, I should be able to confidently carry without the thumb safety on. I would still like to know my trigger pressure and travel though. That would give me closer to an apple-to-apple comparison.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Hmmmm... So I have a Glock-like gun that includes a thumb safety. Ideally, when my confidence and skill warrant, I should be able to confidently carry without the thumb safety on.

It's nothing like a Glock - Unless it comes with a bag over it's head.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Ok, so now the revelation that my Taurus is striker fire just like the Glock. Hmmmm... So I have a Glock-like gun that includes a thumb safety. Ideally, when my confidence and skill warrant, I should be able to confidently carry without the thumb safety on. I would still like to know my trigger pressure and travel though. That would give me closer to an apple-to-apple comparison.

All guns are like Glocks. They are designed to launch boolitts, and most do a fairly reasonable job of it.

The rest is like bumpers on a car. Do you want chrome or black plastic ?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    And I can't find info regarding my gun.

I have the Taurus pt111 g2. It could be compared (I think) to the Glock 26. The comparison would be for trigger pull force (SA) and trigger travel.

I downloaded your Owner's Manual from Taurus. It is on their site.

It lists your trigger pull at 5-9 lbf. I don't know if that's supposed to be 5.9 or what. It does not list the travel.

poberly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 25, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I carry my Taurus 24/7 with the trigger returned to the forward (empty) position. After I put one in the chamber, I push the safety up into the on position. Then I push it up a little further and it resets the trigger and firing pin like the chamber is empty. This means that in the event that I would need to pull my side arm, the trigger pull is long. I hope this makes sense because this is the best way I can think of how to describe it.

Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    I downloaded your Owner's Manual from Taurus. It is on their site.

It lists your trigger pull at 5-9 lbf. I don't know if that's supposed to be 5.9 or what. It does not list the travel.

Oh, DUH! The MANUAL! (I foolishly neglected that.) My manual supports your findings. I'll guess that 5 is SA and 9 is DA. Thank you for your help!

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    once i start carrying my glock, it will be chambered at all times. for now i carry my beretta (SA/DA, hammer fired with safety) chambered, safety off, hammer down.

i think most of it comes down to what you are comfortable with (that isnt dangerous - please dont use a 2# trigger with the safety off!) and what you train for - the only issue i see with an engaged safety is the possibility that even while training to draw and flip the safety lever, that is a pretty fine motor skill, which is one of the first things to go in a high-stress situation

Top Bottom