• ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Or M9s, or anything USGI will become not the norm
    CMP is Starting to sell Tisas 1911s, and is preparing to get Commercial Garand receivers made.

It won't be long until the auction at the CMP will be the only way to get USGI from them.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    CMP is out of field M1s. I’m sure they’ll get more but they’ll go up in price. I’m hoping they receive some m1 carbines, m14s or M9s.
    The M-14's (e4) had the switchable Pew-Pew-Pew feature and like a real M16, once a full automatic always as far as the ATF is concerned. The State rifle teams had specially modified M14 match rifles that did not have the capability to rock and roll. As far as I know, they were recollected from the State teams by the Army Department of Civilian Marksmanship. The CMP was not in ownership. The military still uses them for special applications because they shoot the 7.62 Nato round. A sailor told me that it takes an M14 to throw a line. I was never there. Civilians will never be able to own a USGI M14, even if the lug is ground off and the hole is welded up. With Dettelbach being the head of the ATF, we will never even get to talk about it. As long as M9's are still issued, I don't see any making their way to the CMP. The Carbines got cut up when Clinton was riding the desk

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The M-14's (e4) had the switchable Pew-Pew-Pew feature and like a real M16, once a full automatic always as far as the ATF is concerned. The State rifle teams had specially modified M14 match rifles that did not have the capability to rock and roll. As far as I know, they were recollected from the State teams by the Army Department of Civilian Marksmanship. The CMP was not in ownership. The military still uses them for special applications because they shoot the 7.62 Nato round. A sailor told me that it takes an M14 to throw a line. I was never there. Civilians will never be able to own a USGI M14, even if the lug is ground off and the hole is welded up. With Dettelbach being the head of the ATF, we will never even get to talk about it. As long as M9's are still issued, I don't see any making their way to the CMP. The Carbines got cut up when Clinton was riding the desk
    I will say this, the two NM M14's my family had for 20+ years to shoot High Power with were as they came from the factory. We were asked to turn them back in after 911 when the Army and MC were struggling to field worthy rifles.
    If i remember correctly a few High Power shooters from Texas were teaching classes to those service members that were going to use those rifles.
    There are plenty of Transferable M14's out in the public my friend. You just have to be able to write the check to pay for one.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I will say this, the two NM M14's my family had for 20+ years to shoot High Power with were as they came from the factory. We were asked to turn them back in after 911 when the Army and MC were struggling to field worthy rifles.

Are you saying you signed out and took home M14 models with full auto? Or are you saying you took home M14 models that were semi auto only?

Either way no one is getting them from the CMP

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Are you saying you signed out and took home M14 models with full auto? Or are you saying you took home M14 models that were semi auto only?

Either way no one is getting them from the CMP
    We signed these out through the MD State Rifle and Pistol Assoc, when it was still the DCM, they were not altered at all.
    I don't recall ever seeing any from the DCM that were altered. Nobody cared if it shot full auto.
    The original three builders, SA, Winchester and H&R of the M14 never built any semi autos.
    I know of quite a few M14's that were dewatted in the 60's & 70's and were bought with dewatt paperwork. And then paperwork was done along with a stamp then reactivated and put back in use.
    Quite a few were dewatted and given as gifts, trophys and awards over the years by the Federal Government.

I doubt The CMP has any M14's.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    All M14 service rifles were selective fire, Uncle Sam did not build any semi autos. The E4 was just what stock it was sitting in.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I cannot think of any conditions that a civilian would be issued and take home a full auto from the government. When I trained ROTC cadets, the M16's were not even allowed to be transported in a non military vehicle from the armory to the training grounds. Are you talking about a time before the 1968 Gun Control Act? I was not legal age before that time.

As I remember it the CMP was formed in the mid 1990's but the Army Department of Civilian marksmanship was still an organization until about 2010. I could be off a couple years and my records are boxed away in storage.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I cannot think of any conditions that a civilian would be issued and take home a full auto from the government. When I trained ROTC cadets, the M16's were not even allowed to be transported in a non military vehicle from the armory to the training grounds. Are you talking about a time before the 1968 Gun Control Act? I was not legal age before that time.

As I remember it the CMP was formed in the mid 1990's but the Army Department of Civilian marksmanship was still an organization until about 2010. I could be off a couple years and my records are boxed away in storage.
    I'm 65, I was 10 in 1968.
    Bill Clinton changed it all with The DCM.
    It was a different time then, back when that $200.00 Stamp was still a big deal.
    These were signed out in the early 70's around when I was in JHS.
    It's not like they didn't know who you were even back then.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You will never see Carbines there on the open market. IF you look closely, there is an announcement that due to how rare they are, if any are returned they go straight to the auction.

If you want a carbine, you'll have to buy a modern reproduction. They are out there. Pre pandemic pricing started at $1699. No idea how salty they are today.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    You will never see Carbines there on the open market. IF you look closely, there is an announcement that due to how rare they are, if any are returned they go straight to the auction.

If you want a carbine, you'll have to buy a modern reproduction. They are out there. Pre pandemic pricing started at $1699. No idea how salty they are today.
    That's one of the things that Bill Clinton ruined with ending the DCM.
    It was luck of the draw back then, you ordered your one in a lifetime of each firearm being sold, and a year later what showed up in your mailbox is what you got.
    No crying, that's what you got.

Now with the auctions, the person with the fat Check book, gets the hard to find, oddities and rare firearms.

Reactions: Leo

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    All M14 service rifles were selective fire, Uncle Sam did not build any semi autos. The E4 was just what stock it was sitting in.
    As usual, I could be wrong. There were some TRW match rifles that were never full auto. Seems I remember them being non NFA by serial number. I had an interest in them at one time.
    Won't even get into the various re-welds that turn up with M14 fronts and M1 rears.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    As usual, I could be wrong. There were some TRW match rifles that were never full auto. Seems I remember them being non NFA by serial number. I had an interest in them at one time.
    Won't even get into the various re-welds that turn up with M14 fronts and M1 rears.
    It very well could be, I've never seen one that was built as a semi automatic. Both that we had through the DCM were not.
    I know many were altered to semi by a few companies back then and sold, given as gifts and so on.
    If you see one come up for sale be very weary of it. Know what one's buying.

STopaz1982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 14, 2021
    Hendricks County
    That's one of the things that Bill Clinton ruined with ending the DCM.
    It was luck of the draw back then, you ordered your one in a lifetime of each firearm being sold, and a year later what showed up in your mailbox is what you got.
    No crying, that's what you got.

Now with the auctions, the person with the fat Check book, gets the hard to find, oddities and rare firearms.
    I still have my "once in a lifetime" Garand. IHC with all correct parts and in great condition except a sanded and repaired stock. I was very excited to open the box when it came in the US Mail. Sad when the DCM went away. We were lucky they came up with the CMP to replace it but still not the same.

jcj54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    We have a Democrat Congressman to thank for the pricing at the CMP. He amended the bill that created the CMP in the early 1990's to require all arms sold to sell at "fair market value".

jcj54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    All NM M14 rifles were made semi auto by removing the selector and replacing it with a dummy selector which were 2 pieces pinned together and the pin welded in.
    The dummy selector could be cut off and replaced with a functional one if needed by the military so it was not a permanent conversion.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I was just at the talladega store on Thursday. Several M1917, 03 & 03A3. Bunches (30 plus) Remington 40X smallbore, no carbines, several (expensive) M1's ...... the North store (Perry) seems to get the leftovers....worth a call to the stores.
    You will not see a carbine, they go to auction. Stories very on M14's as to why there not sold, but 2 things are clear, the CMP won't get any and the Bill Clinton administration did all they could to disarm Americans.

Top Bottom