• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    BTW, does anyone know what the prices and wait times are like now? I'll bet they are a lot more than what I paid!

Rack and Field grade rifles are $495. Service grades are $595. Special grades are $895 and Collector grades are $950. Winchester M1s are more expensive than SA or HRA rifles. They don't have any IHC's.

The wait time isn't too bad. I think I waited two or three months after mailing my order form.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I have a full can of 1953 AP, non-corrosive, I think Lake City or Twin City M1 Garand ammo in clips. It still has all of the cardboard dividers. I had another can of loose ammo of the same manufacture and it all shot great in my Winchester and Remington rifles. Is it more valuable as a collector's item to keep it all together or would there be any interest in trying to sell the stuff if I do not go ahead and acquire a Garand. I have seen individual clips of this same ammo go for $15 at some of the gun shows. Is that price a rip off?

17Chap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Has anyone posted this link? Eligibility requirements:

Eligibility Requirements

I don't have enough experience to disagree about how to get the best gun. I do think that everyone who has any interest should visit one of the stores. It is the greatest antique experience you will ever have.

Jess

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    I have a full can of 1953 AP, non-corrosive, I think Lake City or Twin City M1 Garand ammo in clips. It still has all of the cardboard dividers. I had another can of loose ammo of the same manufacture and it all shot great in my Winchester and Remington rifles. Is it more valuable as a collector's item to keep it all together or would there be any interest in trying to sell the stuff if I do not go ahead and acquire a Garand. I have seen individual clips of this same ammo go for $15 at some of the gun shows. Is that price a rip off?

$15 for one clip is pretty salty. I bought 500 rounds of Lake City from CMP last year. I plan on shooting it. I'm not sure if it has any collector value, but I'm leaning towards probably not.

pappy56

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Hancock County
    The plus on the correct grades that nobody has mentioned is the fact that they are manufacturer correct and in some instances numbers matching rifles. My HRA didn't look like it had ever left an arms room and all of the production numbers jived for the serial number. I also bought one of their "specials", completely rebuilt, as new. I'm going to scope that one. In my case the extra 350 was worth it. Will it make a difference down the line if I were to sell it? Maybe, maybe not.

I've seen a lot of service grades that were every bit as nice as either of my rifles so it's just a matter of what you're looking for! Buy plenty of ammo though, that "ping" is addictive.

Imail ordered a service grade H&R just over two years ago and received it in 4 weeks (can't do that now). When I got it it was all correct except the bolt. I replaced the bolt with one that I got at the 1500 for $50.00. Now it is what the CMP would call a correct grade.

KWL
    pappy56

rhino400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Delaware County
    I bought about 2000 rounds of the Greek HXP about 2 years ago. I don't remember how much I paid but it wasn't anywhere near $15 for one clip. If you buy ammo form the CMP just make sure you inspect all of it for corrosion. I have a correct grade Garand from the CMP I dressed it up with a synthetic stock and put the original wood stock in storage. So that is always an option if you buy the correct grade but don't want to worry about damaging the stock when shooting.

Electron don

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Evansville
    You can't go wrong with CMP service grade garand

Yes, its a little bit of paperwork and it takes a long time for it to come. However, you won't buy one cheaper or at this price anywhere else. The last one I received looks great. In the event that something comes that you feel isn't right, they will make it right. They have the best customer service I have ever seen. It is amazing when you look at the volume of orders they are dealing. If I could afford it, I'd order one every month.

RyanWsly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    St.Bernice
    Is there any benefit to ordering one over the other, H&R vs Springfield? I've heard post war should be better, but wasn't sure of the manufactures.

RyanWsly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    St.Bernice
    Thought I had heard that, when I looked they were the same price, just checked again, they are the same price. So should I get an HRA in your opinion?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Depends on what you want. If you don't care about trying to get a WWII era receiver and just want a shooter with a hair more collectability then a HRA would be a great selection. If you want to mock up a "National Match" shooter then I would go SA.

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I have a few of the DCM/CMP M1's too..last one I got was a "rack" grade..bought it for cheap and it is a little rough..the stock mainly, but shoots great and I LOVE it ...let's me leave the nice ones in the safe..just a thought if your on a budget!

Top Bottom