Close call with western Cottenmouth an hour ago..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Watch where you walk boys, i was fishing at "seceret spot" and almost walked on a Western Cottenmouth!!! Twas a beautifull bastard approx 3.5 to 4 feet long, brown, orangish, black, lighter, highly defined diamond patterens. Before i realized i had my camera phone i only got about 2 seconds of footage while it took off into the water.

The guy down the bank said he had one lock onto his lure as he was bringing it over the grass yesterday...The man told me this kind of cottenmouth was extreamly rare in Indiana.

Should i contact the DNR or something, I seen one there last year, and He had caught on yesterday,and seen one today?

Guess im gonna be wearing the tall boots next time! WOW!

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    That's crazy. I didn't think there'd been any of those in Indiana in about 100 years. Guess I'll have to be more careful.

They're more afraid of me than i am of them, right? They arn't going to stand there ground when i come stomping through the woods?

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Watch where you walk boys, i was fishing at "seceret spot" and almost walked on a Western Cottenmouth!!! Twas a beautifull bastard approx 3.5 to 4 feet long, brown, orangish, black, lighter, highly defined diamond patterens. Before i realized i had my camera phone i only got about 2 seconds of footage while it took off into the water.

The guy down the bank said he had one lock onto his lure as he was bringing it over the grass yesterday...The man told me this kind of cottenmouth was extreamly rare in Indiana.

Should i contact the DNR or something, I seen one there last year, and He had caught on yesterday,and seen one today?

Guess im gonna be wearing the tall boots next time! WOW!

Seems they are state endangerd and rare, known to be in the SW corner of the state, if there is one up this way DNR might like to know.

The Center for Reptile and Amphibian Conservation and Management

distribution.gif

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    That's crazy. I didn't think there'd been any of those in Indiana in about 100 years. Guess I'll have to be more careful.

They're more afraid of me than i am of them, right? They arn't going to stand there ground when i come stomping through the woods?

Western Cottonmouths are somewhat rare in Indiana but not unheard of.

Cottonmouths are considered aggressive.

ON LAND They WILL stand their ground but only when they are surprised or feel trapped or cornered Or just don't like your face (but on the plus side they won't chase you)((unless you are in the water)). Commonly when threatened they coil up and gape their mouths. Once you see the white mouth you have about 2-3 seconds to kill it or get away. And Don't feel safer if you don't see fang. Cottonmouths usually only erect their fangs as they strike.

IN WATER be VERY careful. Remember you are in it's territory and it can swim faster than you can. Try not to catch too much of its attention. Don't splash towards it or try and swim quickly away. If a Cottonmouth begins to head toward you in the water Its best to start preparing yourself to take the strike. Get a knife ready so you can kill it before you are struck too many times. Know where your local hospitals are.

western_cottonmouth.jpg

(you see this either shoot it 20-30 times or back away slowly to a distance of 6-7 feet and then turn and run like hell)

Cottonmouth venom is rarely fatal but it can cause near debilitating pain, swelling, and large scale tissue damage. Without quickly administering the anti-venom you can expect a long recovery at the least amputation at the worst.

Indyk you are one lucky dude. A Cottonmouth running like that is not typical, Which leads me to believe that it was most likely a pregnant female. I would notify DNR that you saw one and where. And then call a couple local hospitals to give them a heads up, this will let them know that they should make sure they have the the anti-venom in stock.

And for the Record. I F-ing HATE snakes. That is why I usually have a snake gun on me when I am walking in the woods or in wetlands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hQtywZFxDg

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Pre

Which leads me to believe that it was most likely a pregnant female. I would notify DNR that you saw one and where. And then call a couple local hospitals to give them a heads up, this will let them know that they should make sure they have the the anti-venom in stock.[/quote]

It did have a big belly like a snake has, when it has eatin. The older guy made the comment "it just ate 2 tennis balls" or its pregnant.

I will be contacting the DNR thursday.

I will attempt to post the "2" second video from my cell phone very soon.
    This location is at Pogues Run East side of Indianapolis.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Oh God I hate those things with a passion. My grandfather used to own a spread about halfway between OKC and Tulsa. You could pretty much count on encountering them every time you went to the ponds to go fishing.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    A long time ago as a kid I had one of those bast@rds chase me out of lake while swimming. Someone else saw it and shot it with a shotgun. SOB just about got me. And yes, they can swim fast!

Since then I don't really care for snakes or things that jump out and try to bite you.:rolleyes:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i load shot shells in my pistol while im in the woods or fishing, just in case. i recomend the same to you all. i wont shoot a snake unless it comes to an imidiate threat to me or my group, but i wont hessitate if needed.

and just a heads up, there are at least about 4 species of poisonous snakes in indiana. if you get bit by a cotton mouth you will suffer tissue damage that might not heal.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Here is a pic

This is not the one, but this is exactly what it looked like FYI. It was "Bright" orange ish
    snake.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin

Chondro788

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    SE Indianapolis
    HIGHLY unlikely this was a cottonmouth. Thats the trouble with snakes, someone sees a snake by the water and its a cottonmouth. Best thing to do if you want to become a snake expert it to study. You may also want to go to snake road in IL as you will more then likely get an up close and personal encounter with a cottonmouth, and understand that what you are seeing 99.9% of the time are harmless watersnakes. If you "stumbled' upon a true cottonmouth, you would have seen this.... They do not run into the water, and they do not try and hide, they show you that mouth to get you the hell away!!! Also most, if not all, cottonmouths loose their "bright orange" coloring by adulthood, so if this animal was 3.5-4' long, you would not have seen the "bright ornage".

picture.php

Last edited:

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    HIGHLY unlikely this was a cottonmouth. Thats the trouble with snakes, someone sees a snake by the water and its a cottonmouth. Best thing to do if you want to become a snake expert it to study. You may also want to go to snake road in IL as you will more then likely get an up close and personal encounter with a cottonmouth, and understand that what you are seeing 99.9% of the time are harmless watersnakes. If you "stumbled' upon a true cottonmouth, you would have seen this.... They do not run into the water, and they do not try and hide, they show you that mouth to get you the hell away!!! Also most, if not all, cottonmouths loose their "bright orange" coloring by adulthood, so if this animal was 3.5-4' long, you would not have seen the "bright ornage".

picture.php

This is also what I have learned about them. I fished several years at Reelfoot Lake in TN and there are TONS of those things down there. Another way the locals taught me to identify them is by the way they swim. Cottonmouths tend to swim with their heads and a few inches of body ABOVE the water line (they have been known to climb over the sides of shallow boats down there as well) while other watersnakes swim with their heads at water level. I don't necessarily know this to be 100% factual, but after watching them that's the way I found it to be.

Top Bottom