• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miltony

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Evansville
    FYI, I recently ran into something called the Quick Draw Gun Magnet sold by Arizona Armor. It's a powerful plastic coated magnet with a grommeted base that can be fastened either by screw or nail or with velcro to attach a firearm just about anywhere it will fit. I've got one in the side pocket of my pickup (with velcro) and on my bed frame (without). Keeps your firearm close by and handy without marring the finish. I'm sure the members here can think of a zillion ways to use this clever device. It's on display at Arizona Armor. And the folks there are friendly as can be. Good people.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think this has been discussed here before (Or was that Glocktalk?!)... No biggy either way.

Personally, I think it's a decent idea, even though I don't think that I'll purchase one...

One of the issues that came up was "this might magnetize, however slightly, the firearm (if a steel frame), leading to the possible collection of ferrous metal shavings in the action leading to gumming up the works..."

BUT, think about cartridge construction: Where are there ferrous materials in the average cartridge? With the exception of steel-cased ammunition, which generally isn't used in home-defense applications, the only place where there might be ferrous material is in the primer.

Then there's the frame/slide/cylinder/barrel of most all firearms.

But if you have little bits of primer that are coming off/perforating/blowing out, you've got more problems than just a possibly slightly magnetized firearm holding on to those metal bits. And if you have metal shaving issues with the slide, frame, cylinder, and/or barrel, you've DEFINITELY got more problems than a magnetized firearm.

So...if the magnets work for you, then great!!!! Buy and use 'em without worry. They won't cause any harm to your firearms.

-J-

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Knowing my luck (not anything against the device) but it would pull the striker retainer out of place and fire my weapon into my foot while driving...:D Ow Damnit!

Not sure about it, but I wouldnt buy one. I like to put my gun on my hip or out of sight in the center console (one thing Hyundai did awesome on the Sonata, I could damn near hide an AR pistol in there).

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Could be used for many types of magnetic critters, too.. how about a flashlight? Batteries are magnetic..

I knew a guy that was making something like this for the belt, but he could never get them to stay on the belt. Too much magnet strength, I imagine..

Top Bottom