clear duracoat over polished mild steel.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    in a thread in the general firearms section somebody was asking about removing the bluing from a blued revolver to give it a stainless steel look... that would most definatly open it up to corrosion.

would it be possible to clear duracoat something like this? if so what do you think the results would be? More curious than anything and if anybody is the one to ask it would be you.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Very good question. I'm curious about your answer because I actually did this without asking if it would work. I did it on the slide of my P6 to give it sort of an Equinox look.

3951464508_f092a35803.jpg

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Very good question. I'm curious about your answer because I actually did this without asking if it would work. I did it on the slide of my P6 to give it sort of an Equinox look.

How long ago did you do 'that'?
    Is that a current pic or your P6, if not do you have one to show change over time?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I guess I misunderstood the question. I did that about 2 months ago. The slide was polished, taped, duracoated black along with the frame. I sprayed all the screws, levers and trigger. Then after all that was done I sprayed duracoat clear on the slide.

I thought IGW was asking about the duracoat clear on polished steel.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    If you're going to be at a table Saturday at the 1500 I can bring it so you look at it. Mine didn't polish as nice as stainless would and therefore has some darkspots. I don't think the clear duracoat changed the look at all though.

so assuming you could get the steel polished enough to give the mirror like finish I think clear duracoat would be perfect.

I'm curious what Cory would have to say about it though.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You can clear coat over bare steel but keepin mind that a polished surface probably won't hold a coating very well. Once it begins to wear it may be hard to detect until it begins to rust.

A pistol slide is within the realm of possibility but a revolver is not a great idea. The area around the face of the cylinder is exposed to pretty extreme blast pressures and I haven't found a coating which will stand up to those pressures yet.

Top Bottom