• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I enjoy cleaning my guns after the range. I'm not sure why, but I find it very relaxing. Plus, the corrosive crap I shoot through the Mosins has to come out quickly.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Not if you own a Glock :D

Actually, it would be the wise thing to do...even though I don't each time.

I have gone a few range visits without cleaning my Glock and have never had a FTF.

I do recommend cleaning after each use as a good practice. :twocents:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Your gun lies crying in the safe until you do. Guns crave to be handled.

Are you feeling guilty yet?

As for me, I clean as little as possible. But I am mostly deaf from all those years of shooting and I can't hear them anymore.:ar15:

Skoty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I usually just brush down the slide, brush out slide rails (if dirty enough) snake the bore, some drops of oil and put to bed. I clean all my firearms intensively every month though.

Some pistols need a good cleaning after every shooting, some just need a quick brush and some oil. Rifles same thing, my SKS would just get a bore snake thats it. AK-47 I never cleaned it until I sold it, I regret that decision.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Years ago when my wife and I were shooting league I purchased the smallest Saftey Clean parts washer to make cleaning two handguns a week faster and easier. It paid for itself in no time by keeping the mess of gun cleaning in a small tank. I usually clean after each shooting session now.

dascollector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Remember that if you're shooting military surplus ammunition that it may be corrosive - you'll want to clean it if you shoot corrosive ammunition.

I tend to clean my guns after most trips, as I've found that some ammunition leaves them far dirtier than I like - but they go bang just fine.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I try to at least clean the barrel and spray clean the action at the range. I do a detailed strip clean when it looks crappy inside, or after around 300 rounds.

mightymauser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Crown Point
    i usually just dunk mine in the bath tub for a few hours and good to go.

jk, i think cleaning after each range visit is a good habit to get into even if you have a glock(s).

kong1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Pendleton
    Depends on the gun I guess. My main carry gun gets it after every time I play with it. The funny thing is, my most expensive guns that I have owned would be my sporting shotguns. I've owned a bunch of trap and sporting clays guns that saw thousands of rounds a yr. and would only get cleaned a time or 2 every year. Of course these are either O/U or single shot with sealed actions so there isn't much that gets dirty. We always said the plastic got cleaned out of the barrels on the next shot.....:D Kong

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    I enjoy cleaning my guns after the range. I'm not sure why, but I find it very relaxing. Plus, the corrosive crap I shoot through the Mosins has to come out quickly.

I am the same way, I think cleaning is half of the fun of shooting. Something about taking it apart and seeing all the parts and how they function is fun for me.

Haven't gotten a chance to shoot my Mosin yet, I will soon though. :rockwoot:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I am the same way, I think cleaning is half of the fun of shooting. Something about taking it apart and seeing all the parts and how they function is fun for me.

Haven't gotten a chance to shoot my Mosin yet, I will soon though. :rockwoot:

Oh, I never said it was fun. It's a pain in the ass. Nevertheless, it's inexplicably relaxing.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I only clean after a range trip when I shoot corrosive ammo. I'll usally clean my centerfires after a couple trips to the range or if I know that they will be sitting a while.
    My rimfires, I don't clean till my accuracy starts to suffer. I have found out that, at least with my rimfires, after I clean, my groupings arn't the same. they take about 5-10 shots to come back to where they're sighted in at.

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I'm a firm believer in the old saying, "Never let the sun set on a dirty gun." Ok, maybe I just made that up. I clean mine every time unless I absolutely cannot for some reason.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    Always after I shoot. No matter what it is I'm shooting. I too find it relaxing for some reason. I guess because the wife and kids know to leave me alone, call it leave Daddy alone time!!

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I do. It's a habit that my father established first by making it mandatory immediately after every plinking or hunting session and which got strongly reinforced by training and experience during my military service.

FWIW, cleaning after every use not only helps insure getting the best functional reliability from your firearms, it's also a good opportunity to spot any areas with unusual wear or signs impending part failure before they can bite you.

It's saved me money several times and probably my life and those of my mates at least twice.

Top Bottom