• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I am not surprised by the wide variety of answers, I sort of expected it. One thing I notice is that only one responder actually referenced anything about magazine cleaning. I am guessing that most folks don't bother to clean then until necessary?

James

I tear down and clean mags more frequently than I detail clean my guns. My mags tend to spend significantly more time in the dirt/mud than my guns.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am not surprised by the wide variety of answers, I sort of expected it. One thing I notice is that only one responder actually referenced anything about magazine cleaning. I am guessing that most folks don't bother to clean then until necessary?

James

I will blow my Mags out with an air hose. They get cleaned upon failing inspection.
    Guns, under 50 rds. I will wipe down. Up to and past 100 they come down.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000

James

I'd rather not have my mags go until failure given that I often carry them (go figure) and my luck would have them failing when I need them most. They get torn down if I know they've gotten a chance to get muddy or when I do a complete tear down of my guns.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

James

I have Vietnam issue 20 round magazines that still have mud in them, maybe South Vietnam mud. ( I bought a couple dozen surplus in the 80's so I really have no idea ) They have never failed me during matches since the 80's. I guess clean mags are not as important as it would seem.

I ALWAYS keep my carry piece clean even if I only shoot 10 rounds, which I do often to keep the gun feeling fresh in case I need to use it in a stressfull situation. The reason I do this is because I had a bad deal with a crazy neighbr that winged my house with a few bullets. He told the Police he was returing fire, that I shot at him first. Not only was my side arm still full of ammo, the barrel was clean and it still smelled like Hoppes when the Sheriff's deputies arrived on the scene. I stayed at home and he got to ride in the back of a cruiser wearing bracelets. I am reasonably sure if my pistol was not clean, I would have made the same trip as he did.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have Vietnam issue 20 round magazines that still have mud in them, maybe South Vietnam mud. ( I bought a couple dozen surplus in the 80's so I really have no idea ) They have never failed me during matches since the 80's. I guess clean mags are not as important as it would seem.

I ALWAYS keep my carry piece clean even if I only shoot 10 rounds, which I do often to keep the gun feeling fresh in case I need to use it in a stressfull situation. The reason I do this is because I had a bad deal with a crazy neighbr that winged my house with a few bullets. He told the Police he was returing fire, that I shot at him first. Not only was my side arm still full of ammo, the barrel was clean and it still smelled like Hoppes when the Sheriff's deputies arrived on the scene. I stayed at home and he got to ride in the back of a cruiser wearing bracelets. I am reasonably sure if my pistol was not clean, I would have made the same trip as he did.
    \

You need new neighbors...

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Do you dry or wet clean? :rolleyes:

I strip down and clean my guns after each use mainly because I don't know when I will get out to shoot them again.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It depends on what gun for me. If it's a Glock, and I'm feeling generous, I'll pull a boresnake through it and wipe it down after a range trip. If it's a 1911 or CZ, I'll take them down and clean them correctly if I've shot over 10 or so rounds. Less than that, it will get boresnaked. Exceptions are a very dirty carry gun gets cleaned no matter what and guns that are probably not going to venture out of the safe for another 6 months (WWII 1911s and such) get completely cleaned and oiled even if they just fired one round. ARs get a lot of lube, but not too much cleaning. Russian stuff gets a good cleaning since they probably just shot corrosive ammo.

Top Bottom