Classifieds WTB ads, are they really want to steal ads?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Don't get the issue, at all. Why would I want to post a minimum or a max price if I am looking for something? If I can find a bargain on something good for me. If you sell something and get less then market value too bad for you. You should have done your research.

I seldom pay market value for anything unless it's something I really really want. Whats wrong with getting a deal? :dunno: It's a good thing to get a good deal. If it truly bothers you just ignore the adds that offend you. Problem solved.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Don't get the issue, at all. Why would I want to post a minimum or a max price if I am looking for something? If I can find a bargain on something good for me. If you sell something and get less then market value too bad for you. You should have done your research.

I seldom pay market value for anything unless it's something I really really want. Whats wrong with getting a deal? :dunno: It's a good thing to get a good deal. If it truly bothers you just ignore the adds that offend you. Problem solved.

Just to be clear, it does NOT bother me. I have stated, that I have nothing against someone getting a good deal, or wanting a good deal.
    We all want a good deal on items.
    But a price range could be posted, even if it is on the low side, there may still be someone out there that does not feel like taking pictures or writing an ad, they may contact you.

The guy wanting the East German AK barrel, maybe he only wants to pay $300 for one. He could put that in his ad, to keep all the guys away that will try to sell him one at full retail. But there could be that guy out there that only paid $150 for a barrel, and never did anything with it, he could sell it and make some money, and the buyer just got a deal on a $600 dollar AK74 barrel.

So a price range could work, and be fair to everyone, instead of the thought process, "he may not know what his barrel is worth", and I'm sure as H*ll not going to tell him. Maybe he will screw himself and sell it to me cheap.
    If there is one thing I have learned from this hobby, most guys like myself that have been in the hobby most of their lives, know what their stuff is worth.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I've responded to a couple of WTB adds but have not soldanytyhing through them. But most of the adds I responded to had a price range and what I had fell into their range.

I've responded to one gun add but turns out I didn't have the finish they were looking for.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    What an item is 'worth' is what a ready, willing, and able Buyer is willing to pay that a ready, willing, and able Seller is willing to accept.

That's it.

There is no 'actual value' to it. Don't like what the Buyer is willing to pay for an item you have, don't sell it to them.

People often think their item is 'worth more' because 'they own it'. Frequently see asking prices on INGO for used items (and that's exactly what it is - used) near, at, or some times even above what the item could be bought for new.

Just because 'Joe Item Seller' got suckered or bought on a whim and overpaid doesn't mean they can 'demand' someone else make up for that foolishness.

For various reasons a Seller may 'need' to sell an item. But no Buyer ever 'needs' to buy it. Those who sell with some 'disclaimer' stating "I don't need to sell this", beg the question of WHY they're selling? Why'd they buy it in the first place? To 'try it out'? Well, 'renting' costs money, and is typically expensive. Expect to take a loss for the 'renting privilege'.

A quick tip. If one has been trying to sell something for 'years, months, or weeks' (depending on the item) and has no success, that's a very good indicator that the price is simply too high; i.e., more than any Buyer wants to pay. Kinda simple.

Keep in mind, a Buyer can buy ANY one of a myriad of 'that item' (firearm, car, watch, etc.) that they choose and like the price. The Seller can ONLY sell the one(s) he has. For that reason, it's always a 'Buyers market'.

Anything that is 'priced right' sells quickly. 'Selling 101'.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have posted in the WTB section. The responses I get are usually from folks that think a heavily used 1911 G-I parkerized heavily worn finished is worth near $750.....:lmfao:

It works both ways.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I see plenty of guns listed for significantly more than they go for on gunbroker, and sometimes more than they go for new online. Should we create a "want to screw the unsuspecting" title for WTS ads as well?

jimmythang

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    If it is not an issue why do we need rules?

Although maybe it should be mandatory to post a picture of the buyer proving how bad they really want to buy the item. If you are really serious prove it by posting a current photo in your birthday suit with a "I really want it" face. You might get a deal to delete the thread.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think the WTB adds are great... I have a buddy who is a fellow INGO guy who has sold some things from the WTB threads. I think they are great. And unless someone is going to hold you up for it when the sale is made how are they going to steal it? We don't know where each other lives? And if that was their plan wouldn't it be much more simple to just arrange a sale with what you want from a guy selling it?

Just thinking it out logically here. Not putting a price to me isn't done because you're wanting to buy something someone maybe isn't looking to sell but may or may not care to have (thus getting it for a lower price). So you just say what you want and work out a price if someone contacts you about what you are seeking. This is just me though.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've had mixed results with WTB adds. Just like the rest of INGO classifieds, which are wonderful overall.

I wish INGO could auto-subscribe me to any classifieds related thread. No matter how many of these I read, I learn something from every one.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I've had mixed results with WTB adds. Just like the rest of INGO classifieds, which are wonderful overall.

I wish INGO could auto-subscribe me to any classifieds related thread. No matter how many of these I read, I learn something from every one.

Any thread about the classifieds, is almost as hot as threads about .22lr ammo flipping. Both seem to hit some 'hot' buttons around here.

Top Bottom