• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've always wondered about these rifles, and figured INGO would have a ton of knowledge, and pictures etc on this subject.

Here are a few of my questions about them.
    Feel free to add to this as you see fit.

What rifle models, and makes were used?

What was used for optics?

What was the longest shot with a confirmed hit/kill?

What was the avg distances most Civil War snipers engaged at?

What did those rifles look like?

What calibers were they?

With modern technology, manufacturing etc how far could a muzzle loader accurately hit nowadays? Would it be much farther than the Civil War recorded shots?

I appreciate all your insights, experiences, and knowledge on this subject.

@Leadeye

Mongo59

Master
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    My friend had a Maynard .22cal with optics that was made just for the snipers back in the war to end northern aggression. He has since passed and I have no idea what happened to it.

He took it to a show once and the dealers marveled over it. It obviously wasn't chambered in a modern .22cal...

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Dimick rifles were popular early in the war with units like the 66th Illinois. There were sharpshooter units that were formed before Berdan got involved. My repro Sharps (original rifle is .52, repros are .54) rifle has sights out to 800 yards, but I've never shot it anywhere near that far.

Some of those rifles had very heavy barrels, with removable muzzles that were attached for loading and removed for firing.

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    And then there is the rare Kerr Rifle. Back in the 1970's a family friend, who was a gunsmith, asked me if I could find any info about the Kerr rifle from the Civil War, sadly I never found out about the rifles til the interwebs came about. I searched libraries for years about the Kerr. The family friend was Clinton "Doc" Haddaway, maker of Haddaway flintlocks, very fine locks from the 1970's, but the locks sadly died with him, his son only made the locks for a few years after he died... Sorry to thread jack.

Top Bottom