• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Looks like they're having a bunch of firearms there tomorrow. Anyone ever been to one of their auctions?

If so, what did you think about it?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Don't forget about the buyers premium.

I bought an Ak there several years ago. No problems

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I went buy at lunch for the preview. The Antique stuff...........a lot of it is rusted. The gun shop inventory matches the descriptions. For me it was good to see a few things first before I bid.

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    Was there for most of it, but I did not think there were many great buys...some good buys, yes, but not many great ones.

It would have been a good auction to show up for if you were interested in finding a Taurus, Cobra, Kel-Tec, or Jimenez, but not many "keepers" like S&W or Colt revolvers (the only Colt was a used Python that went for $1,100 + the 10% premium).

And who was that sitting in the front row??...none other than Don of Don's Guns.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Was there for most of it, but I did not think there were many great buys...some good buys, yes, but not many great ones.

It would have been a good auction to show up for if you were interested in finding a Taurus, Cobra, Kel-Tec, or Jimenez, but not many "keepers" like S&W or Colt revolvers (the only Colt was a used Python that went for $1,100 + the 10% premium).

And who was that sitting in the front row??...none other than Don of Don's Guns.

I lost on all my bids online. Some guy outbid me every time I submitted a bid. It didn't make sense to pay what I could get a gun for at my local store.

What did Don buy? Whatever it was, I'm sure he will mark it up 100% and then give somebody 20% off with the purchase of a $50.00 box of ammo and a $50 plastic holster. But, he will also throw in a free range pass. :rolleyes:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

Depends on what you were looking for. Shotguns were comparatively cheap- Remington 1100 for $275 and 870s for $200 or less. Some deals on 1911s ($300-500 range). Others were significantly below retail (even with fees), but some did reach retail or higher. As with any auction, you need to understand what the market prices are going in, what the fees are, and what you are willing to pay.

I'm happy with my "good" buys. I got what I believe will become my EDC (a Ruger SR9c), a couple of accessories, and a bunch of ammo.

You know, he doesn't care about making money...
    One highlight of the auction was when the auctioneer recognized and asked Don to stand up. He did and said "I lie a lot" which prompted a lot of laughter.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    For some reason don has been to every gun auction at Christiys that I have been to.

He and the owner must be friends, his seats are always saved for him and his buddies.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    i have been to 3 auctions this year at christy's and have walked away empty handed everytime. I missed the last 2, because the night before both auctions i looked at the proxybids online and they were getting close to retail at that point. I just figured it would be another wasted Sat. morining, glad to hear i didn't miss anything.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    I have gotten good deals there in the past, but loony's experience is what it has been for me for a while now, too.

If you're willing to pay the markup, I'm pretty sure I saw some of the guns from the auction in the classifieds here.

Last edited:

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    Depends on what you were looking for. Shotguns were comparatively cheap- Remington 1100 for $275 and 870s for $200 or less. Some deals on 1911s ($300-500 range). Others were significantly below retail (even with fees), but some did reach retail or higher. As with any auction, you need to understand what the market prices are going in, what the fees are, and what you are willing to pay.

I'm happy with my "good" buys. I got what I believe will become my EDC (a Ruger SR9c), a couple of accessories, and a bunch of ammo.

One highlight of the auction was when the auctioneer recognized and asked Don to stand up. He did and said "I lie a lot" which prompted a lot of laughter.

I left about the time they started in on the shotguns & rifles, so I missed out on how those went. Wasn't aware that they had ammo...wish I would have stuck around for that.

Agree there were some deals sprinkled around during the morning. However, I was rather taken aback by the guy who bought at least 40-50 guns. He alone pushed the pricing up on most everything.

Sig-Bandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Columbus
    I was hoping for an update on this sale as being an auctioneer and gun shop owner I hated missing it. Guess I didn't miss too much though.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    You can view the results of the auction here:

Christy's of Indiana Auction Catalog - Complete Gun Shop /Firearm Auction

Some of the guns went for really good deals. I see a Stainless Ruger 10/22 with the sporter stock went for $200. And some 870 Express Mag's went for $180. Used Ruger LCP for $200. Even after tax and buyers premium all of the above are well under the Ingo classifieds average asking prices for those guns.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Carp32
    Top Bottom