• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nightsniper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Does anyone know where there is a sizable Chipmunk population that needs to be removed ??
    Thanks in advance for your help!!

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I have tons of them at my house.. if that's what your looking for.. stupid things. They do give my 2 springer pups a work out. They love to chase them.

wabashman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    My woods, I hate these damn varmints as they do nothing but chew the wires on my vehicles. Fortunately they make great target practice and the kittens are learning how to catch them.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    This is what happens to chipmunks at my joint

3B43BCE0-45FF-403D-B8DE-C339DD544F20_zpspvbjxz1y.jpg

I'm curious why you want a bunch of them. Are you wanting to hunt them? There's a bunch at Morgan Monroe state Forest. They're especially active while you're deer hunting.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Used to have one at a time around house. Would trap it and be chipmunk free for a few days. Last couple years I can not keep up. Not unusual to see several at same time at various spots around house/yard/property perimeter. Biggest damage is caused by my 2 Pit Bulls trying to catch or dig out the chipmunks. One spot where cement drive meets garage & sidewalk is a few square feet of bare soil my wife usually plants annual flowers every year. Last week she has officially given up. Chipmunks have a hole under the cement and the dogs have destroyed countless flowers either dug out or broken off. Replanted 3 times in 4 days last week. I told her to give up, plant a small bush/ shrub, or use hard scape. She finally agreed.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    We shoot them at our house or my Beagle will get them. We still have several. It's something fun to shoot at. I used to try hitting them with my bow but I could never get one. Even what seemed like a hit, they would still run off.

Why do you ask, are you like a professional chipmunk hunter?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Used to have one at a time around house. Would trap it and be chipmunk free for a few days. Last couple years I can not keep up. Not unusual to see several at same time at various spots around house/yard/property perimeter. Biggest damage is caused by my 2 Pit Bulls trying to catch or dig out the chipmunks. One spot where cement drive meets garage & sidewalk is a few square feet of bare soil my wife usually plants annual flowers every year. Last week she has officially given up. Chipmunks have a hole under the cement and the dogs have destroyed countless flowers either dug out or broken off. Replanted 3 times in 4 days last week. I told her to give up, plant a small bush/ shrub, or use hard scape. She finally agreed.

There is another thread here describing a homebrew trap using a 5 gallon bucket that can catch several a day. You should give it a try

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Chipmunk Reproduction

There are two breeding seasons; spring and summer. Female chipmunks will typically have 4-5 babies per season. At such a rate of reproduction, a few chipmunks can quickly turn into many, causing an even bigger problem unless you apply the proper control methods.

The 5 gallon bucket method is not very humane but very effective.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I used to use Judo points, on 2213's from my overdraw equipped Mach 4 (set at 82#).
    It'd shove that Judo right on through.
    Pretty fun.

Killed dozens, at my local spot or while deer hunting. No chirp...........free pass. Peep.......... and be pinwheeled!

Nightsniper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    I doubt that anyone understands what you are trying to find out and why, or the point you are trying to make.
    Not trying to make any points here!! I just bought a new toy (RAR 17hmr) and since I don't live on the farm anymore I was hoping to find someone who was pestered and overrun with them. You cant hunt them on the FWAs Just thought I could help someone out and get some trigger time for me. :ar15:

Top Bottom