• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    If a person must keep their gun at their residence at all times...how are the going to take it to the range for training?

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Hmmmm...with what it would cost to register a handgun every three years,and probably the cost of training, couldn't you make the argument that Daley is trying to keep the guns out of the hands of the poor people and minorities. Who wouldn't be able to afford it. These are the people who have to live in the worst neighborhoods with the highest crime rates and they wouldn't have the money to protect their families. Sounds racial to me.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Hmmmm...with what it would cost to register a handgun every three years,and probably the cost of training, couldn't you make the argument that Daley is trying to keep the guns out of the hands of the poor people and minorities. Who wouldn't be able to afford it. These are the people who have to live in the worst neighborhoods with the highest crime rates and they wouldn't have the money to protect their families. Sounds racial to me.

Oh, you mean like this: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_2nd_amendment/98158-no_guns_for_negros.html

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    One working gun per household...

So, and individual right is actually a group right. I hope this passes - the lawsuit will be filed the next day, and the whole mess will be put on hold while it's tied up in the legal system, and on the above point alone it won't stand.

And a side note: Cook County already has an "assault weapons" ban in place, so I'm not sure what the City is making a point about that for...?

Exactly. Right now, I'm wearing my gun, Cathy is wearing hers. Which one would be required to forego their rights, in violation of the recent SCOTUS decision, to keep and bear arms?

It's actually one per adult over 21. 18 year-olds can do it with parental permission.

match14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    South Central IN.
    I hate to say it but this actually seems somewhat better than NYC's laws or those of Washington DC. Hopefully in time, the 2nd amendment view will prevail, but first there needs to be a base of handgun owners in Chicago for that to happen in Illinois. Next they need to get rid of the crappy FOID in my opinion.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    More restrictive? I kind of fail to see how. They're requiring time at the range to get the permit? At what range? Are there even any in Chicago (I honestly don't know)? And who will provide the handgun for range training? If you have to supply your own, that means you will be buying one before having a permit, which would obviously be illegal. Who is going to organize the classes? And what will they cost? If they take just that part to the extreme it will make it virtually impossible for the average citizen to legally obtain a handgun.

It's has never been ILLEGAL for a citizen of IL who is a resident of the City of Chicago to buy and/or own a handgun or longgun. If said person paid the state of IL for his/her FOID card, they could then buy a firearm at any IL gun store (currenlty there are none within the city of chicago but a few in the suburbs). If the firearm was a longgun, said person could take it home (even if s/he lived in the City of Chicago). If the firearm was a handgun then the person had to find a place to leave his/her handgun OUTSIDE of his/her home (since his/her was inside the city of chicago). A few of the area gun shops have rental boxes. So you buy your handgun and pay a yearly fee to the gun shop to rent a storage box. You can then leave you handgun at the store. When you came to the range (at te store) you get your firearm out of the box shoot it, return it back to the safety box and go home.

Yes this all sounds fair absurd and wierd but alas that is how a LEGAL resident of the City of Chicago could still own a handgun. Mind you none of that would really help if you needed siad weapon to protect yourself.

trad78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Griffith
    The details:
    *It requires firearms training, both in a classroom and a firing range.
    All Chicago firing ranges are for LEO use only.
    *Assault weapons are banned, as is the possession of ammunition by anyone who does not have a valid FOID card and registration for a gun of the same caliber.
    What's definition of an assault rifle?
    *To protect the city against costs for a lawsuit in case a police officer shoots an armed person while responding to a home, Daley also said the city will pursue legislation at the state and federal levels granting liability immunity for first responders and the city.
    I can see this possibly being abused!
    *Would-be gun owners must take a training course with a minimum of one hour on the range and four hours in the classroom before obtaining a permit to a keep a weapon in the home.
    Yet again...where? And how about getting to said places with your gun?
    *The ordinance prohibits sawed-off shotguns, assault weapons and “unsafe” handguns.
    All guns are "unsafe" according to Daley.
    At least it's something, but still way to little. I wonder if the thugs are going to keep their guns at home?

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    So they have to keep the gun in the house. Can't take their own gun to the range. Didn't mention if it's legal to buy a gun outside of the city and transport it to their home. (Tin Foil Hat - if they use the gun in self defense in their home, the cops can get them for having transported a firearm to their home, unless the whole peaceable journey takes care of this. If not, then they broke a law and can have their FOID revoked. Same thing if they have to take their gun to the police station to register it.) If I'm going to practice shooting, I'd prefer to do it with my own gun, not with one at the range. Even if it is the same model, it isn't the one I'd have to defend my life with. I'd say the people who go through all these fire hoops with feel how good it is having the security of a firearm and will say screw Chicago, and move to Indiana.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Would-be gun owners must take a training course with a minimum of one hour on the range and four hours in the classroom before obtaining a permit to a keep a weapon in the home.
    Yet again...where? And how about getting to said places with your gun?

Any IL resident with a vaild FOID card can LEGALLY transport a gun within the state of IL if they follow the current IL law.

1) Handgun must be unloaded
    2) Handgun must be in a secure container
    3) Ammo must be in a seperate container (ammo can be loaded into a magazine or be lose or be in its retail box)

Now based on the "chicago permit requirements" basicaly what I see occuring is Chicago Citizen Joe (CCJ) does the following:

1) Applies for his FOID card via the state of IL
    2) FOID card arrives
    3) CCJ visits a suburb's gun shop
    4) CCJ either buys and rents a storage box at the shop or rents a gun and takes the "chicago permit course" at said shop.
    5) CCJ take the "certificate of completion" to city hall to apply for a chicago handgun permit
    6) CCJ gets his permit and goes back to the gun shop
    7) CCJ buys his gun and takes it home
    8) CCJ goes back to city hall to register his handgun (serial number) etc.. but does not take the gun probably snaps a pic of it. Unless city hall wanys to see the actual gun. Not sure how since you can't go into the bldg with it. So perhaps they will have an off-site bldg or something like that.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'd say the people who go through all these fire hoops with feel how good it is having the security of a firearm and will say screw Chicago, and move to Indiana.

Yup it sure is a shame what they have to go thru over in Chicago. We take the freedoms we have for granted some time over here in IN.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Any IL resident with a vaild FOID card can LEGALLY transport a gun within the state of IL if they follow the current IL law.

1) Handgun must be unloaded
    2) Handgun must be in a secure container
    3) Ammo must be in a seperate container (ammo can be loaded into a magazine or be lose or be in its retail box)

Now based on the "chicago permit requirements" basicaly what I see occuring is Chicago Citizen Joe (CCJ) does the following:

1) Applies for his FOID card via the state of IL
    2) FOID card arrives
    3) CCJ visits a suburb's gun shop
    4) CCJ either buys and rents a storage box at the shop or rents a gun and takes the "chicago permit course" at said shop.
    5) CCJ take the "certificate of completion" to city hall to apply for a chicago handgun permit
    6) CCJ gets his permit and goes back to the gun shop
    7) CCJ buys his gun and takes it home
    8) CCJ goes back to city hall to register his handgun (serial number) etc.. but does not take the gun probably snaps a pic of it. Unless city hall wanys to see the actual gun. Not sure how since you can't go into the bldg with it. So perhaps they will have an off-site bldg or something like that.

Add an extra trip to the gun shop - Illinois has a 3-day waiting period.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I hate the phrase "dangerous thinking" but I am severely disappointed in all of you who are toeing the line of 'this is not as bad as I expected it to be.'

Until people can walk into a hardware store and fill out the same amount of paperwork (none) to buy a chainsaw is equal to the amount of paperwork for a pistol, you should continue to be pissed.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Add an extra trip to the gun shop - Illinois has a 3-day waiting period.

Thanks! That one I did not know about. Ouch! What a total waste but it could be worse. CA has a 10 day waiting period. I recall having to wait for my first longgun when I lived out there. :faint:

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    :+1:
    I hate the phrase "dangerous thinking" but I am severely disappointed in all of you who are toeing the line of 'this is not as bad as I expected it to be.'

Until people can walk into a hardware store and fill out the same amount of paperwork (none) to buy a chainsaw is equal to the amount of paperwork for a pistol, you should continue to be pissed.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    The first question is what constitutes an assault weapon? I thought we were dealing with handguns here. I can't wait yo see what is in the assault weapons list. Leave it to the Daley administration to skew off course, and take advantage of a situation to add more restrictions.

I am curious as to what happened to the liability insurance requirement I have been hearing so much about. I don't see it above, but i wonder if it will be part of the permit requirement.

In "Comiago"I would say anything that fires a projectile qualifies! Sling shot, Red Ryder, air soft, drinking straw, rubber bands, fingers etc etc. :laugh:

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I am curious about the whole charging people for exercising their constitutional rights. I mean, if poll taxes are an illegal way of limiting someones ability to vote (not even a constitutional right), how is a registration fee, not an illegal tax? How would people react if they had to buy a $15 permit to keep the police from illegally searching their house, or to be able to stand on a street corner and say you don't like your political representation? :dunno:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I am curious about the whole charging people for exercising their constitutional rights. I mean, if poll taxes are an illegal way of limiting someones ability to vote (not even a constitutional right), how is a registration fee, not an illegal tax? How would people react if they had to buy a $15 permit to keep the police from illegally searching their house, or to be able to stand on a street corner and say you don't like your political representation? :dunno:

Got me... something to think about next time you or someone you know has to pony up money to get their LTCH.

Top Bottom