• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Chicagoans turn in some 6,800 guns

CHICAGO (AP) Chicago police say they received about 6,800 firearms during the city's annual gun turn-in program.
    The program is in its fourth year and has brought in a total of more than 11,000 illegal guns, but authorities say more guns were collected during Saturday's than last year but the number fell short of the goal set by Police Superintentdent Jody Weis (WEES).
    Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley's office said 6,700 guns were collected last year, and Weis had said this year's goal was to collect twice as many.
    Participants received prepaid $100 debit cards for real weapons and $10 cards for BB guns, air guns and replica guns.
    Enough people came out that organizers ran out of the $100 prepaid cards. Organizers said those participants would receive rain checks for the money.

cbs2chicago.com - Illinois Wire

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    So I'm guessing people just turned in a bunch of cheap junk guns. I wouldn't turn in any gun I own for a measly $100.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    If you look at the firearms that were turned in there really isn't anything of value there. Revolvers missing cylinders, break action shotguns from who knows when, and hi-points. Not to knock hi-points but they aren't really the height of engineering. The biggest thing that they harp on is that they don't want the guns stolen from homes. Bull$hizen.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Hopefully a large number of these were worthless junkers that were "turned-in" by gun-savvy individuals and/or dealers!!! :thumbsup:

I remember reading were several dealers "turned-in" all their junk and non-functioning trade-ins on one of these deals. What a way to use a stupid government scam to get some $$$ for your gun funds!!! :lmfao::thumbsup::rockwoot:

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I don't know about the Chicago deal, but in a lot of these programs they twist the arms of local merchants and even some national companies to kick in to the pay off fund.

I heard from a Chicago detective 8 or 10 years ago about a theft recovery. He said that they would be getting the gun back to me soon... I am still waiting.

retgarr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    I would have bought a bunch of $70 mosins specifically for this if it didn't make me feel dirty turning in a perfectly good rifle to be destroyed.

ETA: Has Indy ever had a gun buyback?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I would have bought a bunch of $70 mosins specifically for this if it didn't make me feel dirty turning in a perfectly good rifle to be destroyed.

I believe that they have in the past but nothing on this scale and cannot remember if it was city sponsored or sponsored by a group. It wasn't very successful.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

If you ever have a Mosin you want to just get rid of, send it my way. I'll give it a good home. "Gun buyups" (not buybacks, since they never owned them in the first place) are places you go in cities you don't live in to get paid something of value for something of no value, like (as written above) revolvers with no cylinders, or perhaps a rifle with a bulged barrel due to too-hot ammo.

That's my :twocents:.

Blessings,
    B

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Gun Buyback Misfires

Imagine that instead of guns, the Oakland police decided, for whatever​

strange reason, to buy back sneakers. The idea of a gun buyback is to reduce the​

supply of guns in Oakland. Do you think that a sneaker buyback program would​

reduce the number of people wearing sneakers in Oakland? Of course not.​

All that would happen is that people would reach into the back of their​

closet and sell the police a bunch of old, tired, stinky sneakers.​

Gun buybacks won't reduce the number of guns in Oakland. In fact, buybacks​

may increase the number of guns in Oakland.​

Oakland's recent gun buyback was especially ridiculous. The police offered​

up to $250 for a gun "no questions​

asked, no ID required." The first people in line? Two gun dealers​

from Reno with 60 cheap handguns. Fortunately the buyback did manage to​

get some guns off the street, too bad they were turned in by a bunch of senior​

citizens from an assisted living facility.​

Top Bottom