• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I got to shoot a buddy's Thompson SMG today. I have shot it before, but it has been a long time ago. These things are really a lot of fun to shoot. I shot an MP-5 not too long ago and although it was fun, the Tommy Gun really is a lot more fun. It is way more fun than shooting an M-4 on rock and roll. I'm pretty sure that my buddy's gun is an M1A1. It was pretty easy to keep the shots on a man sized target at 75 yards when firing short bursts of 2 to 3 shots. Another thing is that his gun feeds and shoots about any kind of ammo, from target lead swc reloads to factory ball without a hitch. I supplied a box of my reloads. I shot half the box and my buddy shot the other half and kept the brass.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nice! Man, I'm envious. I've loved those since I was a kid watching the old war and gangster movies. I just recently found a bunch of my dad's pictures from when he was in the South Pacific in WWII (Seabees). A couple of the pictures are of some of his buddies on the back of a small boat shooting a Thompson out the stern. Gotta be a lot of fun! :yesway:

*Edit* Here they are... :) Dad is the one at the far left behind the other 3 guys.

ThompsonBoat2_zps58dbec0a.jpg

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My only complaint is the heft of the weapon. Like 12 pounds. Makes it easy to shoot but a pain to carry. (Love it but heavy)

The one i shot was a 1929 model wth drum and the CUTS compensator. Fill the drum more like 14 pounds.

My personal fav in full auto might be the PPhs-41. Like a water hose of lead. I could get all 32 rounds downrange before the first brass hit the ground.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Nice photos DD... 1st that would be a cool action photo to have from WWII all by itself.... So many are Staged statue photos.. So its not and you have nice movement and a cool firearm to boot... Wonderful Island training excersise

But to have one with your dad in it... Well all I can say is you are blessed... Now if you ever needed a reason to buy one of those Thompsons or hell even and LST to tool around the lake in, You have one now...

Nice! Man, I'm envious. I've loved those since I was a kid watching the old war and gangster movies. I just recently found a bunch of my dad's pictures from when he was in the South Pacific in WWII (Seabees). A couple of the pictures are of some of his buddies on the back of a small boat shooting a Thompson out the stern. Gotta be a lot of fun! :yesway:

*Edit* Here they are... :) Dad is the one at the far left behind the other 3 guys.

ThompsonBoat2_zps58dbec0a.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nice photos DD... 1st that would be a cool action photo to have from WWII all by itself.... So many are Staged statue photos.. So its not and you have nice movement and a cool firearm to boot... Wonderful Island training excersise

But to have one with your dad in it... Well all I can say is you are blessed... Now if you ever needed a reason to buy one of those Thompsons or hell even and LST to tool around the lake in, You have one now...
    Thanks! Now I just need to get the others scanned and organized. I don't think I'm ever going to have a Thompson or the LST, but at least I have the pictures! :)

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Shot a 1929M1A at Knob Creek this spring because I had always wanted to. Though I was hosing down an old washing machine 50 yards away,.....in my mind I was hosing a Jap pill box on Iwo Jima. The nostalgic feeling was awesome. Yes, it is very heavy for a SMG and was really expensive to produce in it's day, but it was cool at the time and is still a cool weapon in my mind.

Dirty Steve

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I will probably seek one of those out once my Powerball winnings hit my bank account.

That and an MP5SD.

-J-

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    There's always the Auto-Ordinance semi-autos. A shame they want $300 for a drum magazine. Ridiculous!

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I have one of the AO 1927a1 versions (made by Kahr) with the detachable stock. It came with the 50 round drum and is a lot of fun at the range.

Here are a couple photos.

Thompson-03.jpg

Thompson-02.jpg

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    My only complaint is the heft of the weapon. Like 12 pounds. Makes it easy to shoot but a pain to carry. (Love it but heavy)

The one i shot was a 1929 model wth drum and the CUTS compensator. Fill the drum more like 14 pounds.

My personal fav in full auto might be the PPhs-41. Like a water hose of lead. I could get all 32 rounds downrange before the first brass hit the ground.
    I remember reading that in the old tv show "Combat" that Vic Morrow, who starred as Sergeant Saunders, would use a wood mock up many times when filming because of the weight of the ole Tommy Gun.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    The only 1929 Thompsons ever made were a handful of prototypes made by Birmingham Small Arms. They also made a few 1926 models but all are extremely scarce and exist only in advanced collections or museums. And I've never heard of or seen one fired. The models normally seen are the 1921, 1927 semi-auto, 1928, 1928A1, M1 and M1A1. There were variations within these models such as with or without Cutts compensator and either pistol grip or horizontal forearm. And there was never a 1929M1A model.

Top Bottom