• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    To me, it all adds up as discrimination against the poor.

Any fee that exceeds the administrative cost is a tax.

You know, there are costs involved with elections. If this fee makes sense, why not poll taxes? And if you have to have an ID to CCW (a right), why not an ID to vote? So it impacts the poor disproportionately? Well, that's the Dems for you...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Any fee that exceeds the administrative cost is a tax.

You know, there are costs involved with elections. If this fee makes sense, why not poll taxes? And if you have to have an ID to CCW (a right), why not an ID to vote? So it impacts the poor disproportionately? Well, that's the Dems for you...

It's not just the money.
    Owning a car in the city is EXPENSIVE.
    Some people rely on public transport.
    But guns aren't yet sold in the city.
    And, you're not supposed to carry on their public transport.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    It's not just the money.
    Owning a car in the city is EXPENSIVE.
    Some people rely on public transport.
    But guns aren't yet sold in the city.
    And, you're not supposed to carry on their public transport.

We don't even need to get to the remaining regulatory or market restrictions on carry to determine that this is nothing more than a tax on those who would exercise their 2d A rights.

When you add in regulatory hurdles, it's an attempt to preserve the ban, while apparently dismantling the ban.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    By contrast, Lake County - borders Cook County to the south - is one of the highest in population AND in % applications...why is that? Why is Chicago so different than Lake county?

Last time I drove Lake-Cook road, Lake bordered on the West and a little North? Like towards Gurnee.

The point that it's outside the city is still valid, but this isn't exactly "flyover" land, either. There are some pretty wealthy suburbs in Lake County.

Not to mention, gas is cheaper there. Drive down Lake-Cook and you'll see stations with different prices on opposite sides of the street!

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    Also, don't forget that for quite awhile, it was illegal to even OWN a gun if you lived inside the city of Chicago. You're required to have a FOID card to own guns in Illinois, and have to have a FOID to apply for a CCW permit. Most of the Chicago residents that want to carry, have to apply for the FOID first. So they now have the delay for that processing before they can even apply to carry. In addition, there are so many restrictions that it's almost pointless to have the permit in the city. Therefore, the numbers of applications will inevitably be lower. Not to mention that a vast majority of peoplein that town have already been so brainwashed that they think guns are only bad and serve no good purpose.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Also, don't forget that for quite awhile, it was illegal to even OWN a gun if you lived inside the city of Chicago. You're required to have a FOID card to own guns in Illinois, and have to have a FOID to apply for a CCW permit. Most of the Chicago residents that want to carry, have to apply for the FOID first. So they now have the delay for that processing before they can even apply to carry. In addition, there are so many restrictions that it's almost pointless to have the permit in the city. Therefore, the numbers of applications will inevitably be lower. Not to mention that a vast majority of peoplein that town have already been so brainwashed that they think guns are only bad and serve no good purpose.

Why a gun, when a shovel will do? :):

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    There was a handgun freeze from 1983 to 2010, grandfathered handguns were legal. I knew several people who kept up with the onerous registration requirements. It was a pain.

Ok, so it wasn't completely illegal, but it was very difficult for anyone born after 1962 to own a gun in the city. I was under the impression that even long guns were illegal to own if you lived inside city limits, but maybe that was just ridiculous internet rumors.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I was under the impression that even long guns were illegal to own if you lived inside city limits, but maybe that was just ridiculous internet rumors.

No, internet rumor I am afraid.

Single shot shotguns (not much of a loss if stolen) and lever action pistol caliber carbines (short, handy, not as powerful) were quite popular.

There was no "gun culture" in Chicago. The Daleys were quite effective is destroying it (although they owed a bazillion guns themselves).

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Firstly, I would never want to sniff the "sand" where most of Chicago keeps their collective heads. Ewww. Secondly, I have to wonder how the monetary requirements of getting the Illinois license (including the cost of those hours of training), coupled with the racial composition of the lower socioeconomic folks in Illinois don't have the undivided attention of Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and the like. I would think that this would be one place where they could legitimately say that imposing these costs for the capacity for self defense is inhibiting equal access to a constitutional right. I'm sure the mainstream media just hasn't seen this angle on the story yet!

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Totally agree, the poor can't afford those prices. But at those prices, there's a lot of folks making good money who would feel priced out as well. I would think prices in that range are unreasonable, and as such, an infringement.

This. Having lived in both Lake and Cook counties for short periods of time....then turning down good job offers in both to move to Indiana where I have actual rights...Lake County residents can afford to pursue their rights while most of the Cook County residents who really need permits cannot afford them, much less the travel cost/time to get the required training (hence why training should never be a legal requirement, it's only a convenient barrier used by the antis).

Couple that with a lot of the more affluent Cook County residents being self-selected liberal sheep.....

Rooster 308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Lansing, MI
    I thought about getting a non resident permit for IL (still have a lot of family there). But at $300+ I'll wait for reciprocity or the price to come down.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Crime rates are meaningless when it happens to you!

But what do you expect from Chicago? This is the very heart of President Obama's political base. They cry when they see him. Why would anyone there feel the need to protect themselves? Obama will protect them.

M9Hoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    NWI
    Well isn't chicago mostly filled with liberals who are afraid of guns and thugs who already carry illegally? No wonder they're the lowest...

Did you read the post above yours? Chicago is leading the state with applications. It shouldn't be a surprise either. We have the biggest population in the state.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    Did you read the post above yours? Chicago is leading the state with applications. It shouldn't be a surprise either. We have the biggest population in the state.

"But on a per-capita basis, rural counties have the highest proportion of applicants compared to urban and suburban communities."
    Actual number of applicants is reported as higher in Cook.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    “But in Cook County, when we did polling, people don’t want concealed-carry,” she said. “The majority of voters weren’t in support of it. It goes to what we knew all along. It’s not on the top of the list. They don’t think carrying a gun will make them safer.”

Really? What poll? Where can I look at the numbers for myself? Who did you call? According to Phelps and people I know in Chicago they're still waiting to see how it pans out. Chicago will still find a way to make it illegal, so why would they waste their money and open themselves for a visit from the Po-Po? State your friggin' source - what poll? Who did you call? What questions did you ask?

I have no doubt that Colleen Daley, executive director for the Chicago-based Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence, is citing a scientific and completely trust-worthy :bs: poll of all of members of the Chicago-based Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence and came to the surprising and absolutely unbiased conclusion :rolleyes: that guns are BAAAA-:sheep: AAAADDD, mmkay?

Top Bottom