• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I know that we cannot carry in IL. My question is this: If I am flying out of O'Hare Airport and want to fly my firearm with me, am I permitted to do so? Would I be violating any laws by securing my firearm and ammunition in seperate and locked containers, then checking them in at security? Would I be considered protected under "safe passage", as my end destination is not IL? Thank you! :ingo:

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    A few years ago, The unloaded firearm, ammo in its box, ( none missing or extras ) in a locked and airline approved case put in your unlocked and checked in luggage has to be declared. When asked, You must remove from luggage and unlock for inspection. Contact your airline as they all differ on procedures with some refusing any firearm. This may have changed since then. Hope this helped somewhat.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Guys, Interstate Transport law governs here.

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 926A
    Prev | Next

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

NRA-ILA ::

The only airports I've heard about with issues such as this are the NYC ones.

I print and tape a copy of the regs to the pistol case with my phone number and the phrase "I have checked into the airport two hours early. Please call my cell if you need to inspect the contents of this case."

Study the transport regs, the airline rules, and know what you're doing. Don't be shocked if you know a bit more than the people you'll deal with. Arrive plenty early and stay cool. You're within the law.

mpholic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    I thought Chicago proper was a no handgun city. No handguns within the city limits. Is that correct? If so, while driving to the airport on Chicago streets would you not be breaking the law?

Why fly out of Chicago? Is the fare cheaper than South Bend, Ft. Wayne or Indy (not sure where Porter county is)?

I try to avoid Chicago as a starting point or destination. No problems with it as a connecting city.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I thought Chicago proper was a no handgun city. No handguns within the city limits. Is that correct? If so, while driving to the airport on Chicago streets would you not be breaking the law?

Why fly out of Chicago?

Federal law allows you to transport a firearm THROUGH the city of Chicago, so you can drive to the airport with your handgun.

As for why fly out of Chicago, for those of us in the NW corner of the state it is the easiest fastest way to fly. I can get direct flights out of Chicago that simply do not exist out of any of the Indiana airports at any price. I can often get lower prices. Plus, Chicago is on the same time zone that we use in this part of the state, and its actually a shorter drive to get to O'Hare airport (the farthest one from NW Indiana) than it is to get to South Bend or Indy.

sur+rifle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Warrick, IN
    Again, Federal Interstate Transport laws govern this.

That is the correct reading of the law. However, several local jurisdictions are not applying the law correctly. And so there have been numerous problems with gun seizures and arrests at airports. The East coast area remains the worst despite all the negative publicity of the Gregg Revell case. In fact, there was an Evansville resident who was arrested in New York and had her firearm confiscated for two years despite the law:

Transporting Firearms: Joyce's Story

The NRA and GOA have been working heavily on this issue. But problems continue. Here is NRA-ILA's current position (including the status for Chicago):

NRA-ILA :: Guide to Transporting Firearms

Net, you need to be very careful when passing through these anti-gun jurisdictions. At the very least, you should carry a copy of the "Don Young" letter with you to show any government agents your run into who might disagree or are ignorant of the law:

U. S. Department of Justice
    Office of Legislative Affairs
    Office of the Assistant Attorney General
    Washington, D.C. 20530
    February 18, 2005

The Honorable Don Young
    U.S. House of Representatives
    Washington, DC 20515

Dear Congressman Young:

Thank you for your letter, dated June 18, 2003, to Admiral James M. Loy, then- Administrator of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), concerning the applicability of 18 U.S.C. section 926A to persons at airports in New York State who are taking flights to destinations outside of New York. Because section 926A is a provision of the Gun Control Act (GCA), which the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) enforces, TSA forwarded your letter to the Department of Justice for response. We apologize for the delay in responding.

In your letter you explained that local police officers in New York have threatened several individuals at John F. Kennedy International Airport and Albany International Airport with arrest for firearms possession based on strict State laws, and that in at least one case the firearms were confiscated. You explained that: (1) the people carrying the firearms were not prohibited from possessing firearms under Federal law, (2) the people had apparently traveled directly, without any interruption in the transportation, to the airports from other States where they legally could possess firearms, (3) their firearms and ammunition were secured in accordance with all applicable regulations for airline travel, and (4) they were flying to other States or countries where they could legally possess firearms.

You then asked if TSA agrees that section 926A enables these travelers to possess the firearms legally in the New York airports and if so, if TSA would inform local police and prosecutors about this provision of the GCA. We appreciate your bringing this issue to our attention. The Department of Justice agrees that the provisions of section 926A apply to the situation set forth above assuming: (1) the person is traveling from somewhere he lawfully may possess and carry a firearm; (2) en route to the airport the firearm is unloaded and not accessible from the passenger compartment of his car; (3) the person transports the firearm directly from his vehicle to the airline check-in desk without any interuption in the transportation; and (4) while carrying the firearm to the check-in desk it is unloaded and in a locked container. This interpretation reflects the apparent congressional intent in enacting this provision, while allowing State and local law enforcement to continue to enforce their firearms laws aggressively to promote public safety. We will inform the applicable law enforcement authorities of our interpretation of section 926A.

We trust this information responds to your inquiry. If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact this office.

Sincerely,

William E. Moschella
    Assistant Attorney General

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That is the correct reading of the law. However, several local jurisdictions are not applying the law correctly. And so there have been numerous problems with gun seizures and arrests at airports. The East coast area remains the worst despite all the negative publicity of the Gregg Revell case. In fact, there was an Evansville resident who was arrested in New York and had her firearm confiscated for two years despite the law:

I did note in my first response that NYC area airports are the issue here, not Chicago O'Hare or Midway.

To the OP - another thing you can do is (1) call the ticket counter at the airport and ask. When I've been flying and knew I had a trip coming where I would be flying with my guns, stopped by the ticket counter and got the tags ahead of time. The other thing to do is to contact the TSA office at the airport and ask questions.

I would have no reservations flying out of Chicago with a checked firearm in my luggage. Well, no more than I would at any other airport, anyway.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I just flew back from Las Vegas NV,on Frontier.I had with me an AR type,and had no problems.The weapon was in a locked hard sided case as specified.No ammo was transported.To the Frontier staff it seemed to be not at all unusual.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Federal law allows you to transport a firearm THROUGH the city of Chicago, so you can drive to the airport with your handgun.

As for why fly out of Chicago, for those of us in the NW corner of the state it is the easiest fastest way to fly. I can get direct flights out of Chicago that simply do not exist out of any of the Indiana airports at any price. I can often get lower prices. Plus, Chicago is on the same time zone that we use in this part of the state, and its actually a shorter drive to get to O'Hare airport (the farthest one from NW Indiana) than it is to get to South Bend or Indy.

Yeah, this summer the flights from O'Hare (with whom my Dad was on the same ship during WWII at one time) to San Jose COSTA RICA were as little as $160 (before fees of about $30-45???). Incredible prices, imo.

Top Bottom