• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    I saw a thread on this previously that really didn't have a definitive answer.

If I wish to purchase a gun online from out of state, does anyone know how to check the serial number to see if it is stolen gun? I have had one stolen before and the IMPD stated that they enter the SN into a database so that gun shops and pawn shops can check it if someone tries to pawn it off. I don't know if this is a statewide, national or local database.

Does anyone know if it is standard practice for all states to do this and if so, would I check with the state police from which the gun originates or the city/county police.

Thanks

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I usually write the SN, model, and caliber and take it to the Sheriffs office. There they can run a check on it or they will call dispatch and send an officer out to run it. I've had 2 guns checked like that one they had a detective come from the back and call it in the other they called dispatch and sent for someone on duty who then came and ran it.

caguasjade19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Central indiana
    Thanks for bringing this subject to this forum, I have the sane concerns regarding a used gun. What about a police department who wants to have the gun in their hands just in case it is illegal? Is it possible that they could run a gun for you and it is illegal and they do not have it in their possession? I think my local sherrif will have a cow. If I am wrong that will be great. Used good guns have a better price, but used guns with a crime history is not the way I want to start my day. Anyway, I am just curios about our members opinion.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Thanks for bringing this subject to this forum, I have the sane concerns regarding a used gun. What about a police department who wants to have the gun in their hands just in case it is illegal? Is it possible that they could run a gun for you and it is illegal and they do not have it in their possession? I think my local sherrif will have a cow. If I am wrong that will be great. Used good guns have a better price, but used guns with a crime history is not the way I want to start my day. Anyway, I am just curios about our members opinion.

If it is a "hot" gun you don't want to be in possession of it anyways. Call your local PD and ask them how they can run the serial numbers on a gun for you and do as you're instructed.The police will not take possession of your firearm if they "think" its stolen. The times I've ran numbers on a gun they didn't even look at the gun. I had the SN wrote down on a piece of paper.

Top Bottom