• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    I need to send one of my handguns off for work and wanted to know if anyone know a cheaper way than using UPS or Fedex Next day air, which both require and both charge ~$50.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Find an FFL to ship for you, they could probably do it cheaper.

Agreed.

Call around and ask.

If you find one, be sure to ask WHEN they do their shipping; might only be one day a week.

The FFL will also be able to utilize the USPS for handguns; something that us mere mortals cannot.

Also, as an FYI, it's just over a $15 for the USPS to ship an average handgun via priority mail.

-J-

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I need to send one of my handguns off for work and wanted to know if anyone know a cheaper way than using UPS or Fedex Next day air, which both require and both charge ~$50.

I has to be Air with either of these, and Second Day is the least expensive with UPS, and it usually gets there the same day, just not a guarantee of 1030. When I shipped to Ruger a few years ago, it was, yes, around $50, for 2nd Day Air.:)

JLawsonTXRH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    I has to be Air with either of these, and Second Day is the least expensive with UPS, and it usually gets there the same day, just not a guarantee of 1030. When I shipped to Ruger a few years ago, it was, yes, around $50, for 2nd Day Air.:)

Actually, your statement isn't entirely true, or is vague. You cannot ship a firearm through UPS for 2nd Day Air Service. It must go Next Day Air AM (not available to all locations), Next Day Air, or Next Day Air Saver. Here is the link: UPS: Shipping Firearms

On another thread, someone stated that FedEx required that you tell them there is a gun in the package. However, UPS states just the opposite. This is directly from the above link: "The labeling and outer box markings on all firearms shipments should not describe the contents. Labeling must be non-descript including the shipper's and consignee's abbreviated names on the shipping label or air shipping document."

As somone who ships literally tens of thousands of packages a year, I believe that FedEx also requires Next Day Air service, which is generally a few dollars less expensive than UPS. 99% of our business is with UPS because of their reliability and huge discount we get. With that said, there are TONS of dealers and private individuals alike to have shipped handguns to my receiving dealer using "ground" services from UPS and FedEx.

I personally would never dream of shipping anything of value with the US Postal Service, but again, have seen several people who have.

Through UPS and FedEx, you should be able to ship a handgun Next Day Saver for around $40.00.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    IT should also be pointed out that declaring that what you're shipping is a firearm is NOT A LAW, but a rule of the common carrier.

If your package is chosen for an X-ray somewhere along the line and it's not been declared / shipped overnight, you might very well get your package returned to you and "not allowed to ship with them".

Don't know if/how they'd go about that, though.

But we ARE prohibited from shipping a handgun through USPS. Long guns, we CAN ship as long as it's going to another in-state resident (if I remember the statute correctly)

-J-

bambek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Henry Co.
    I just shipped out a pistol on Friday Fed Ex. It cost just a little over $7 and they said it would reach the destination on Monday. This seemed quick enough. Fed Ex!

kmartin4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    I just had 5000 AK47s shipped from El Paso to Juarez on the backs of drug mules. That was pretty cheap.
    Regards,
    Carlos Arellano Felix

Top Bottom