• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrimsonRayne

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    My buddy, saw a FS2000 the other day and wants a bullpupped rifle. I told him either SKS or MINI 14 was the cheapest non-22lr. Anyone disagree or ahave another suggestion?

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Youre kinda comparing apples to oranges when putting the FS2000 up against the SKS and/or the mini 14. First off,most minis are not cheap, Ive never seen someone sell a mini 14 who didnt think it was made out of gold. Second, I thought he was set on a bullpup. Or are you trying to talk him out of it? I think Im misunderstanding you. If youre looking for a bullpup rifle, none are cheap. The cheapest one Ive seen is the STG 556 is a pretty good copy of a Steyr AUG and pretty prevalent. Ive seen lots of lightly used ones (lightly because bullpups are "love em or hate em" and some guys buy em and hate em) go for under a grand. You can switch barrel lengths on these in a few seconds. They take their own mags, however, and the FS 2000 takes AR mags. The Keltec RFB is also an option. Ive never met someone who shot this and didnt like it, and it takes FAL mags. You can switch barrels on this one too. The RFB is 7.62. Not sure if you guys were set on a caliber.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    DO NOT DO THE MINI or 10/22 CONVERSIONS! They are unreliable at best and in general, leave alot to be desired. YES, you will get some people that will swear by them. But after seeing a BUNCH of them at the range, they are junk overall.

The AK bullpups floating out there have terrible triggers and have weird recoil pattern (they slip downwards off your shoulder really easily). Having shot an AUG and several other bullpups (including your FS2000 mentioned), I know how a proper one should handle.

Want a proper bullpup that is reliable and has a decent trigger? Start saving money. MSARs, AUGs, FN FS2000 (if you can get over the nerf gun feeling trigger), save your money and get a rifle that was designed to be a bullpup, not a ragged out Mini with a 200 dollar stock on it and a crap trigger that requires disassembly if it slips off the trigger mechanism. :twocents:

No free lunch out there. Want to look cool, gotta pay the school.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Maybe VitaminK will be along in a bit to talk about his SKS bull pup. I bought the same stock he has from Shernic Gunworks. I am still waiting on my stock to come in. It has almost been a full year (September 2011). They are working on speeding up their production. Everything that I have heard from others states that they are the best bull pup stock for an sks.

Shernic Gunworks

My end goal is to cut my SKS down as short as I can legally go, both overall and barrel length. In order to do this, I am looking for a cheap sks that functions well but is ugly otherwise and I will do a make over. If you have one, send me a PM

Last edited:

BrandonHtwo0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    Portage, IN
    Ill have to take a peek at the STG 556, im kinda curious because im currently in progress on a ar-15 sbr. Waiting on forms....

A sbr bullpup could be cool. :D

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Maybe VitaminK will be along in a bit to talk about his SKS bull pup.

yup. I dig mine.

:laugh: Ask and you shall receive, maybe not entirely what you wanted to receive tho.

Also this is kinda nit picky but one of my biggest turn offs from the FS2000 is the lack of a last round hold open. I've come to really enjoy that feature on AR15s. Also the crap trigger inherent to bullpups as others have said.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    yeah, sorry it was late when i posted. I re read what i wrote and thought to myself, "god what an ass i am".

i got in on the SGworks stock when they were $100.00. My SKS takes AK mags so i thought it'd be perfect. For 100$, even if it sucked, oh well. It took over a year, almost 2 if i remember correctly, to get the stock to my door. The parts are all quality. The trigger doesn't even seem degraded with the bullpup linkage. The safety is awesome and the balance is better. I did have 1 issue though. As i said before my SKS takes AK mags. When i would attempt to rock them into place they would hit the pistol grip. I was limited to 10rd mags or 20rd tanker mags (and even those were a pain in the ass). There is a fix however: you have to dremel out some of the insides of the grip and your mags with start inside the grip and rock back.

This one is similar to mine (I use a C-more sight) you can see the issues you would have rocking a mag forward.
    IMG00492-20100928-1201.jpg

here is what the beginning of a mag insertion looks like when its done I.E. lock before the rock.
    Ashe-SKS-Boards-2.jpg

like always if anyone wants to touch it or rub it or play with it in anyway, send me a PM. If anyone wants to see my SKS in the SGworks stock, then you can PM me about that too.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Keltec RFB has a forward eject as well and probably a little more decent on price

Well, I've seen only a very few RFBs for sale (and none at a gun show), but looking at them online, the go from anywhere from about $1800 on up into the 2000+ range.

I paid $1700 for my FS2000 Standard with 1.6x optic (I'm left handed, so I have the same quandry with bullpups) and I've seem them go for $1500 used. There are also people selling them for ridiculous prices online, but a lot in the $1600 to $1700 range.

Trigger is definitely not the greatest on the FS2000 and it is a bit bulky, but I could see it being very effective in CQB as it shoulders really well. I would probably go with the tactical version (without the scope) and put on an Eotech or some holographic sight or go with a higher power scope. The 1.6x is okay, but I think it fills your field of view too much for CQB and isn't powerful enough at longer range to be very helpful. :twocents:

Top Bottom