• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Can anyone recommend some cheap practice arrows for a recurve? i have a #45 and #55 I am mainly looking for arrows for the #55. I looked around online and kept getting listings for arrows made in china and sold on ebay has anybody tried them? wood would be nice but it really doesnt matter as long as they dont impale my wrist.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Can anyone recommend some cheap practice arrows for a recurve? i have a #45 and #55 I am mainly looking for arrows for the #55. I looked around online and kept getting listings for arrows made in china and sold on ebay has anybody tried them? wood would be nice but it really doesnt matter as long as they dont impale my wrist.

is this for a rh bow?

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Thanks wasnt aware they were having a sale.

Yep right hand and I have a 31" draw but have shot 28" all my life so I can make those work too.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I have 1/2 doz spined #50-55 tapered port orfords from 3R. I stained, crested and shot these 2 years ago. I made them with .357 mag tips for indoor shooting cardboard in my basement during the winter. I have a 1977 Kodiak Magnum #55 @ 28 that these were shot out of. I shot them a few times as you'll notice minor wear. These have been in storage since so sorry, I won't take responsibility if they snap on you and you sustain injuries. However, I just got done shooting all of them through my bow in the yard just for peace of mind.
    All you would need to do is heat up the tip and replace with field points, or you can still shoot these at a bag target. However, they don't stick very nicely. :D

PM me your address and I'll ship these out to you tomorrow. These 1/2 doz. are on the house. ;)
    3346t8n.jpg

11rb11y.jpg

295bnn9.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW I run Goldtips, so I can add weights if need be to correct spine.
    The amount of centershot differs greatly with trad gear, so it can be a bit of a PITA to find the right arrow.
    Then there's B50 vs Fastflite.
    Heck, I've taken a Dremel to 2 new recurves to make them more centershot and adjust grip. After that they shot the same arrow that two of my Blackwidow SA2's did....worked just fine (paper tune checked).

Not the cheapest way to go, but my luck flat out sucks, so I gotta go with systems that allow for customization. It'd be nice if I could just grab a bow and some arrows and have everything perfect.............but it's never been that way with the trad stuff.

shinkle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    johnson county
    my choice of trad arrow is an aluminum arrow. not always the cheapest available but many places don't move them very well and have a good sale on them. and most stock feathers on them making them perfect for trad arrows.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It's gettin' kinda tought o find pre-fletched arrows for trad bows in a brick and mortar shop.
    If you do find them they usually are straight fletched :(
    If they are helical, then they're 5" or that ugly as sin shield cut.

I run parabolic, 4", with a fair amount of offset (use a helical clamp).
    Used to run 4.5" yrs ago, then had to go 5" (or so I thought). No prob getting scoop shovel sized BH's to fly like field points (run a hefty FOC and use a tab).

But for whatever reasons, I get the same now with 4".

Do agree, if one has the old Easton charts, on how to get a good shaft fast..............aluminum. Dunno if material or just the variety of size or a combo, whatever it is it IMHO can make them very forgiving.

But who has access to a decent straightener these days?

Shoot 3D and a back or belly skip has that bad boy bent.

I learned how to straighten them with an $$$$ Easton assembly line straightener way back, and a buddy still has one. So I could still run aluminum if I wanted.

For durability carbons can't be beat.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Well I have been using the arrows i got from jmiller and they are working awesome! I shot them from my dads 55# recurve and i was getting decent accuracy considering how long had passed since i shot the bows. Then just to see i shot them out of my 40# solid fiberglass recurve and started surprising my self I was stacking them all up touching from 16 yards (my max square range in my yard).

I am also going to buy some of the youth arrows from 3r for my sister to use with the long bow I made....ok i admit i will probably shoot them more than her but she is showing interest in it. Im also going to try and convert the girl up the road to trad. archery using the #40 and #55 bows.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I used to make arrows out of dowels and duct tape but one day i got the nerve to ask a shop teacher where he got the round scar on his wrist turns out it was with a dowel arrow. I still use dowel arrows from time to time on my #25 bow but thats about it

Top Bottom