Charter Arms Undercover .38-Broke again!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Well, I was satisfied with customer service for Charter Arms, and thought my gun had a one time problem. It happens sometimes.

However, the hammer block on my new Charter Arms .38 Undercover broke for the second time, not long after I got it back from warranty repair for the same problem, maybe 125 rounds through it. At $60 a pop to ship it back, a lifetime warranty doesn't mean squat if I have to send it back every two weeks. I'm going to ask if they will pay shipping this time.

A lesson learned the hard way. My opinion -the Charter Arms .38 Undercover is a piece of junk.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Thats too bad, I would push for them to pay for shipping as well. I've had a few issues with my guns and sent back it never cost me 60 bucks more like 10. Just stick it in a box take it to UPS and when they ask of the contents tell them its some parts your shipping out for some machine work. As for the gun thats the one I was looking at for my next purchase.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i would make sure that you mention internet forums when you call.... might get them to pick up the tab... IMHO you should NOT have to pay another for warranty work.... if they make aftermarket parts (stainless steel???) i would put one of those in there and be done with it... seems like it might be the cheap pot metal they are using.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Just stick it in a box take it to UPS and when they ask of the contents tell them its some parts your shipping out for some machine work.

HORRIBLE idea.... why lie about it? there is nothing illegal with shipping it... IMHO lying about it only adds to the stigma of guns being bad.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I agree that it's a horrible idea to lie about the contents of the package but UPS and FEDEX forcing overnight shipping for guns gets pretty spendy. Hopefully Charter will pickup the tab on this one.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Wow, sorry to hear about your bad experience with Charter Arms. That really sucks! I have heard so much good about them and was considering picking one up sometime at a show just to have another revolver. Good luck!

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    New here but not new to CA.... One thing to keep in mind is the historical solvent assests of the company..... Oh yeah! nada...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As an FYI, if Charter doesn't pick up the shipping tab, you can contact an FFL to see what they'll charge you to ship it.

FFLs can utilize the USPS for shipping handguns...as long as it's going to another FFL.

Those flat-rate priority boxes are quite economical, you know.

-J-

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Didn't even have to ask them to pay shipping

Well, to me, the first line of customer service is to build a great product. Base on my experience, CA fell short on that. However, for customer service, I still have to give them a thumb's up.

As soon as the lady who answered the phone found out this was the second time back (which was right away), she said I should absolutely not have to pay shipping, and they would send a "call tag". I was told to be sure to include in my note describing problem to include that it was the second time back, and if it can't be fixed right, to send me a new gun (no, not a S&W 442, but another CA:D). She understood completely my problem with a lifetime warranty if it cost $60 to send it back.

This tells me that (1) the company might have some major issues with the Undercover, or at least a run of the hammer block parts, and (2) it knows it, and (3) they're still trying hard.

The first time it broke, it looked like there may have been a bubble in the casting. However, the second time, the break looked smoother. I'll try to take a close up pic.

They're good people at CA, especially compared to some horror stories I've heard about other vendors. I hope I get this thing squared away, and as long as the company stays in business, I think I will.

Will I ever buy another CA? Not without an explanation of what went wrong, and what's being done to correct the problem. If a QC problem has been id'd and corrected, maybe. The company has had a checkered history to say the least, but I like success stories, and the idea of economical self defense guns made in the USA.

Problem is, there's not many Charter Arms dedicated websites that I could find to get additional info. Yahoo has a CA Group and that's about it.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I too am sorry to hear this story. Hope they can make it right for you. I don't think I'll have to think very long about whether or not to purchase one of their new revolvers though.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Sending me a replacement

I finally got around to following up with Charter (someone was supposed to call me back, and I pushed it to the back burner myself). The good news is, they sent me a shipping label to send it back and they're going to replace the gun instead of trying another repair. Good for them, they do stand behind their product. The bad news is, they're replacing it with another Charter.:):

Hey, do I have enough posts yet to put an ad in the classifieds?;)

Counselor1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    HORRIBLE idea.... why lie about it? there is nothing illegal with shipping it... IMHO lying about it only adds to the stigma of guns being bad.

Agree, bad idea to not to disclose the contents when shipping a firearm. If, by chance, the package would get inspected, then you could be in a bit of a bind. Since it was shipped, you would be looking at Federal offenses, maybe being placed on some "watch list", and, at the very least, loss of the firearm.

Granted, the package may not get searched, but playing roulette is never wise when a firearm is involved.

Top Bottom