Charter Arms AR-7 Survival Rifle - Opinions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrcole

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a couple Charter Arms AR-7 Survival Rifles. Anyone have any experience with these. I love the simplicity of them. I was given two, one is the base model and the other has a pistol grip with a barrel shroud and steel stock. I also received 2 ramline 25 round magazines with them. Are these puppies any good for plinkers - from a quick search on the net I've heard mixed reviews. Apparently there is some way to increase there reliability with some type of modification? Opinions and information are welcome, thanks!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I have a couple Charter Arms AR-7 Survival Rifles. Anyone have any experience with these. I love the simplicity of them. I was given two, one is the base model and the other has a pistol grip with a barrel shroud and steel stock. I also received 2 ramline 25 round magazines with them. Are these puppies any good for plinkers - from a quick search on the net I've heard mixed reviews. Apparently there is some way to increase there reliability with some type of modification? Opinions and information are welcome, thanks!

The Charter Arms version had a rep for reliability issues that would often need to be worked out at the feed ramp IIRC. They also do not have a scope rail the way the new Henry ones do.

That being said, if you got a reliable one, they are nice hideaway/backpack emergency firearm. Some people have found good reliability with them, others not so much.

I would think a trip to the range is the best way to answer all your questions! Take pics and a variety of ammo. Ammo selection may have a huge effect on what works best.

Nice gifts!

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I have the Henry version of the AR-7. And i love it.

As far as the Charter arms goes I have heard about some serious issues with them. Even instances of Kaboom. I'd be very careful or maybe have them looked at by a gunsmith before using them.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I have the base model one I took on trade from a buddy. I am not a fan of it for two reasons. One being it has an aluminum barrel and two it always jamms after acouple of rounds have been fired through it.

Mrcole

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I will be sure to take some pics and range test with different ammo. I heard higher velocity ammo works better in them. As far as jamming I heard there can be problems too but there was a fix for it -- something about filing down an area where the round chambers into the barrell...I think? I will take them out tomorrow and keep you guys posted. Does anyone know what improvements the Henry version has over the Charter Arms version? Thanks.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I will be sure to take some pics and range test with different ammo. I heard higher velocity ammo works better in them. As far as jamming I heard there can be problems too but there was a fix for it -- something about filing down an area where the round chambers into the barrell...I think? I will take them out tomorrow and keep you guys posted. Does anyone know what improvements the Henry version has over the Charter Arms version? Thanks.

I've had several different AR7s over the years. They are an interesting concept but need someone to come out and actually make a good quality gun. No matter which version you have, the thing to keep in mind is that these guns were not built with longevity in mind. They were intended as survival rifles or backpacking rifles. I have worn out a couple in under a thousand rounds.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I have the base model one I took on trade from a buddy. I am not a fan of it for two reasons. One being it has an aluminum barrel and two it always jamms after acouple of rounds have been fired through it.

One suggestion to prevent to jamming is to use only high velocity rounds. 1600fps and up. And when you shoot it try and really lean in with your shoulder If you limp in you take momentum away from the spring.

Mrcole

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks,

this is great information - if they operate poorly I will definitely explore a solution to make them shoot reliably. The more I look them over the more interested I am in their design and I believe you are right in that fact they look like they are made for just that - survival - which means they may not take too much abuse.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    One suggestion to prevent to jamming is to use only high velocity rounds. 1600fps and up. And when you shoot it try and really lean in with your shoulder If you limp in you take momentum away from the spring.
    Yup!
    That's been the AR-7's problem ever since it was designed by Eugene Stoner, and that is the main reason that The Air Force didn't fully adopt it as their Pilot Survival Weapon.
    It's just like any straight blow back design. If you don't provide the proper resistance, along with powerful enough ammo, the action will not fully function. I've had my Charter AR-7 since Charter Arms took them over from Armalite in 1973. I only use CCI Mini-Mags and Stingers in mine and it performs as expected every time.
    Mike

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I have an ArmaLite one, with the swirly colored stock that looks like Reese's Cup puke.
    I don't shoot mine enough to have any firm opinions, but from talking to others who own them, they wish for something better at the barrel/receiver interface since the receiver gets worn there. This allows play where the barrel is supposed to index. I think those who shoot theirs much leave it assembled to avoid that.

Just an FYI if interested, there is (or was) a Yahoo Group for AR7 owners. I don't think there is much going on there. AR7 : AR-7 Survival Rifle

SAMSON

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Indy, Southside
    AR-7

One of the function problems that people have with their AR7's is that they try to tighten the barrel retaining nut with the bolt in the forward position. When they do that it feels like the nut is tight and the barrel is seated. Not always true as the bolt will actually put pressure against the chamber end of the barrel making it seem to be seated when it's not.

Top Bottom