• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    It will be interesting to see how this one turns out. I just can't see myself bringing out a gun because someone swings at me thru a window. Just drive forward and roll it up, hes already headed to jail for assault.

dt420

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    NW
    It will be interesting to see how this one turns out. I just can't see myself bringing out a gun because someone swings at me thru a window. Just drive forward and roll it up, hes already headed to jail for assault.
    +1. Like you said, you are in a car and he has no weapons, just drive forward.

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    ^ He will have to prove that he was fearing for his life; hard to do against an unarmed opponent and you are in a car. Given the information, I can't see lethal force being justified.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    The article said he was being beat through his window. If he had already put the car in park which is what most people would do after an accident, he likely would have been hard pressed to do much of anything.

Imagine sitting in you car, strapped in by the seatbelt and I am punching you in the face, how easy would it be do something.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    The article said he was being beat through his window. If he had already put the car in park which is what most people would do after an accident, he likely would have been hard pressed to do much of anything.

Imagine sitting in you car, strapped in by the seatbelt and I am punching you in the face, how easy would it be do something.

If you can reach for a gun then you can put the car into drive. Put your left arm up to shield your face, duck down to the right and drive away. Everybody lives.

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    ^ Exactly. It takes as much, if not more effort to draw a gun while seated and strapped in. I've taken the Suarez class on vehicle gunfighting two weeks ago and it was a real eye opener in many aspects. Personally, I can't see how his use of force could be justified. If he had a weapon, no questions asked. If he was in a secluded area and was getting his head stomped in, no questions asked. One shot fired center of mass vs unloading on him? It just doesn't add up to me :twocents:

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Technically justified or not... put me on his jury and he won't be convicted.

Sometimes people get what they ask for. You ride your bike, go running red lights, ride into vehicles and then attack the drivers for being in your way while you break the law, and I have no sympathy for you if and when they shoot your stupid ***.

Maybe it's not how *I* would have handled it, but it's how the VICTIM handled the AGGRESSOR.

You don't want to get yourself killed? Don't start **** with people.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

+1. Like you said, you are in a car and he has no weapons, just drive forward.

^ He will have to prove that he was fearing for his life; hard to do against an unarmed opponent and you are in a car. Given the information, I can't see lethal force being justified.

If you can reach for a gun then you can put the car into drive. Put your left arm up to shield your face, duck down to the right and drive away. Everybody lives.

^ Exactly. It takes as much, if not more effort to draw a gun while seated and strapped in. I've taken the Suarez class on vehicle gunfighting two weeks ago and it was a real eye opener in many aspects. Personally, I can't see how his use of force could be justified. If he had a weapon, no questions asked. If he was in a secluded area and was getting his head stomped in, no questions asked. One shot fired center of mass vs unloading on him? It just doesn't add up to me :twocents:

IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property
    Sec. 2. (a) In enacting this section, the general assembly finds and declares that it is the policy of this state to recognize the unique character of a citizen's home and to ensure that a citizen feels secure in his or her own home against unlawful intrusion by another individual or a public servant. By reaffirming the long standing right of a citizen to protect his or her home against unlawful intrusion, however, the general assembly does not intend to diminish in any way the other robust self defense rights that citizens of this state have always enjoyed. Accordingly, the general assembly also finds and declares that it is the policy of this state that people have a right to defend themselves and third parties from physical harm and crime. The purpose of this section is to provide the citizens of this state with a lawful means of carrying out this policy.
    (b) As used in this section, "public servant" means a person described in IC 35-41-1-17, IC 35-31.5-2-129, or IC 35-31.5-2-185.
    (c) A person is justified in using reasonable force against any other person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

(d) A person:
    (1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against any other person; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;

if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.......

Last edited:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Indiana's law is clear and would likely be a non-issue here. But Indiana is not Michigan. Anyone here have MC (Michigan code?) references?

SELF-DEFENSE ACT (EXCERPT)
    Act 309 of 2006

780.972 Use of deadly force by individual not engaged in commission of crime; conditions.Sec. 2.
    (1) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses deadly force may use deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if either of the following applies:
    (a) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent death of or imminent great bodily harm to himself or herself or to another individual.
    (b) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent sexual assault of himself or herself or of another individual.
    (2) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses force other than deadly force may use force other than deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if he or she honestly and reasonably believes that the use of that force is necessary to defend himself or herself or another individual from the imminent unlawful use of force by another individual.

History: 2006, Act 309, Eff. Oct. 1, 2006

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Not quite sure I would have done what the driver did, but I wasn't there so I won't second guess his actions. Based on the story, if he is charged and I ended up on the jury I would work toward jury nullification.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs

Agreed.

Many people seem very comfortable with the idea of unleashing lead on people who "deserve it."

This guys trip through the legal system will likely make him regret the day he pulled that weapon.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I have no trouble whatsoever unleashing lead on someone that is in the process of doing me bodily harm.

So, everyone that disagrees with that is somehow sure they can overcome any aggressor at any time? I do not fight anymore, if you wish to fight I may just choose to shoot your dumb ass, because I am to tired to have my ass kicked while I am sitting in my car, or anywhere else for that matter.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    According to that post of the MI self defense act sounds pretty cut and dry NOT GUILTY to me especially when the idiot on the bike was breaking the law and then assaulting him. He played a stupid game and won a stupid prize.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Technically justified or not... put me on his jury and he won't be convicted.

Sometimes people get what they ask for. You ride your bike, go running red lights, ride into vehicles and then attack the drivers for being in your way while you break the law, and I have no sympathy for you if and when they shoot your stupid ***.

Maybe it's not how *I* would have handled it, but it's how the VICTIM handled the AGGRESSOR.

You don't want to get yourself killed? Don't start **** with people.

Pretty well sums up my feelings on the matter.

Top Bottom