• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tuttjs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Does anyone CC at work when the work regulations clearly state that no employees should bring firearms on premise (even in your car in parking lot!)? The reason I ask is because I am a manager at a pharmacy chain who has been getting robbed quite a bit lately. Even though the policy clearly says no firearms on the property for employees. However, there are no policies against customers OC into the store. I have been thinking about CC while working. I figured that if I have the possibility of saving one person's life, it is worth the punishment of the aftermath. Any thoughts?

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    they can not prohibit you or fire you for having one in the car.

if i worked retail, especially someplace with drugs, policy be damned. my life is worth more than their employment of me

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If you do it, KEEP your mouth shut lest you'll end up unemployed. Do whatever you need to do to keep eating (ie staying alive and having a job)

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Tough situation, and we obviously don't know ALL the details, but here is my take.

I would carry concealed regardless of the company policy. I would only draw and fire if I thought my life was in immediate danger. Look at what is happening to Kroger right now because an employee shot a robber. They are getting sued. Some companies would rather spend the money to replace merchandise than have to suffer the cost and fallout of a lawsuit.

If a robber is there to rob the store... let him take whatever he wants. If the upper management is fine with losing thousands of dollars every week, well it's their money. I'm not even sure that I would defend a customer of the store. (flamesuit on) The management forbids employees carrying on the job, so it's the managements problem to deal with if a customer gets shot. (i.e. - let them get sued)

However, if I feel like my life is in danger, I would use my firearm to defend myself. Obviously every situation is different. You may feel the need to defend another employee or a customer. That's your decision. Just make sure it is concealed well, and shut your mouth about it.

tuttjs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012

if i worked retail, especially someplace with drugs, policy be damned. my life is worth more than their employment of me

That's what I was thinking. I just didn't know other gun owners felt the same as me, or if I was just being stupid

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of "defensive tools" while at work. ;)

On one hand, you simply have to weigh the risk (of getting fired) against the reward (your own safety). They can have pretty much whatever policy they want, and enforce it as loose/strict as they want. And remember: their policy is about their exposure to RISK, not about your safety.

On the other hand, if they have a policy that restricts a handgun secured in your vehicle, then they are violating State Law.

My only advice is to discretely do what you feel is right. If you DO choose to defend yourself when/if the need arises, be prepared to find other employment anyway.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Does anyone CC at work when the work regulations clearly state that no employees should bring firearms on premise (even in your car in parking lot!)? The reason I ask is because I am a manager at a pharmacy chain who has been getting robbed quite a bit lately. Even though the policy clearly says no firearms on the property for employees. However, there are no policies against customers OC into the store. I have been thinking about CC while working. I figured that if I have the possibility of saving one person's life, it is worth the punishment of the aftermath. Any thoughts?

It's a gamble either way..trust me I know. If you break their rules and something happens to expose your gun they will fire you.

Some places of employment can...I deal with it daily.

tuttjs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Devil's advocate - what happens if person robbing pharmacy had no intention of firing weapon, but since I drew mine he has fired his at employees?? Does that make any difference in your decision to CC?

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    In my pocket like always

That's what I used to do. I worked at a drug abuse clinic many years ago, not the best area or clientel. There was an armed guard on duty because they kept a large amount of methadone at the pharmacy. I kept a Kel-Tec P32 in a pocket holster. Not the best, but better than nothing and easily concealable.

No way I would have left one in the car there, though. One of my coworkers got the spare tire stolen off the back of her jeep in broad daylight while we were working. The tweakers would steal anything.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Or work from home like me. I can carry all day and my work clothes are whatever is next to the bed when I roll out. The cafeteria is well stocked with all my favorites.

tuttjs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    If a guy shows up to do a crime with a gun it's safe to assume he has bad intentions.

I disagree. I would be willing to put most robberies that turn into shootings, the robber had no intentions of shooting his weapon once. What made him fire shots was the sudden change of plans, aka someone such as CC or police pulling a weapon on the robber.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Devil's advocate - what happens if person robbing pharmacy had no intention of firing weapon, but since I drew mine he has fired his at employees?? Does that make any difference in your decision to CC?
    How the hell would I know what some dope head is planning to do with the gun he's waving around? No, it makes no difference in my decision.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I disagree. I would be willing to put most robberies that turn into shootings, the robber had no intentions of shooting his weapon once. What made him fire shots was the sudden change of plans, aka someone such as CC or police pulling a weapon on the robber.
    And there are plenty of instances where the victims did everything the criminal demanded, and still wound up dead.

tuttjs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    I'm sure they have. But I still believe that most robbers go in with a plan NOT to shoot anyone, and carry to gun to make people fear the robber and do what they say. Then, when something not planned happens, such as a CC or police, the thought of being caught makes them do really stupid things such as pull the trigger...

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I'm sure they have. But I still believe that most robbers go in with a plan NOT to shoot anyone, and carry to gun to make people fear the robber and do what they say. Then, when something not planned happens, such as a CC or police, the thought of being caught makes them do really stupid things such as pull the trigger...
    That's the chance that you can take with your life...but I'm not relying on the kind-heartedness of armed robbers.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

After your change of direction I'm confused about what you are trying to figure out.:dunno:

Top Bottom