• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sausagecake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Wherever I can eat S
    So I wanted to get input from people with more experience than me. Just a little background on me, I am 6' 2" ~150 lb, and have a G27 that I was planning on carrying concealed. However, when I wear it on my hip it looks like I have a tumor. This is not really a problem untill summer when I dont have a jacket or coat to help cover it.

Now here is my question, what are my options? I have thought about carrying iwb in front instread of on my hip. Besides having a gun constantly pointed at my business, I am not sure what the drawbacks are. I have also beed eyeing the sig p938 as a more compact option. Although, my glock offers 3 more rounds and is .40.

What are some good iwb holsters for carrying in front, and what are some good owb holsters for carrying on hip?

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    There are quite a few options for appendix carry available: Dale Fricke "Archangel," JM Custom Kydex AIWB, and the CCC "Shaggy" are all popular. Since you're not an enormous tub of guts the drawback really is as you've stated: The weapon is pointed at your femoral artery, and if you ND as you draw it you will probably bleed out. Whether this is a reasonable trade off for concealability and speed is something you'd have to decide for yourself. Personally, I think it's an excellent system unless you're a total maladroit.

No idea about OWB. The Safariland ALS system seems popular.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I can conceal my Glock 20sf with an OWB Blackhawk holster by just wearing an untucked button up shirt. I'm built differently though, at 182# 5'7". I do conceal my G27 when wearing just a t-shirt with a IWB holster, so it may be more of a build thing than a holster thing.

One option: Eat pizza a lot. Within a short amount of time, you will have no problem concealing.

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    Try one of the kydex, I use a hooch for my 19 and get some looser fitting thirst for summer carry. Target has some athletic cut t shirts that are tight up top but looser around the torso that conceal when I hip carry. Damn auto correct, looser fitting t shirts and didn't mean to quote

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    When you say "on your hip," do you mean at 3 o'clock?

Could try moving it back a bit and using a holster with some cant. That usually makes a significant difference.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    For several years I carried my Colt Double Eagle 45 in an Uncle Mike IWB holster in the small of my back. The Colt is the same size as a 1911 - but heavier as it is all Stainless steel. I am sure it does print when I bend over even with my shirt out, but most would think it is a back brace :>). I use a left hand Uncle Mike - this allows me quick RH draw if needed. The Uncle Mike is just a felt pocket holster with a Belt clip so is pretty comfortable. I have worn out 2 or 3 in the last 25 years or so but they are fairly inexpensive. They are available for many styles of handgun. You might look at them at a GS and see if you like them as an option.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Eat pizza a lot. Within a short amount of time, you will have no problem concealing.

Ha Ha! So that's my problem! Shucks...I'll need to cut back on the pizza's!

I typically carry a G27 in an OWB 3-slot holster with no problem! Typically, I wear an un-tucked shirt over the top and go! Yea...sometimes you can tell, but I'm typically around friends who also CC...so no biggie! Personally, I do not like IWB holsters...they have just never felt comfortable for me!

CC'ing can be 'situational' meaning, depending on your situation, carrying differently can be advantageous! I have a belief in being comfortable and prepared to carry in at least three (3) different ways. In the summer...I'm not against shorts with cargo pockets and simply drop it in there! During the winter, I tend to wear a vest (unless it's very cold out)...so I tuck my shirt in and wear the vest! The one vest I wear a lot has a front zipper pocket that holds the G27 very nicely! On Sunday mornings...I'll slip it in an ankle holster and wear it that way! Find a couple of ways to carry and I'll bet you'll be able to very quickly CC w/o others knowing!

Last edited:

hoosier31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Bedford
    I carry my G26 in a Greenforce Tactical appendix holster. It's a nice holster, and I made a few modifications to it and now it works perfect for me.

paddywonka

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2009
    Carry my Glock 27 often in front pocket, concealed in a Nemasis holster. I am 5'10'' & 175, conceals well.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Go appendix and it will disappear. IWB is the way to go for concealed. I believe that it is also more comfortable than OWB.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I IWB carry a 1911 as a cross draw. It feels more comforable and I can reach it better with my bad wrist.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Don't forget Thunderwear and SmartCarry as viable options. Contrary to popular belief of those who have never used this holster type, you won't be muzzling your junk.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    consider an IWB King Tuk, Crossbreed Supertuk, etc. at the 4 oclock.

I'm 5'9 150. I carry a G23 in a supertuck at the 8oclock. it mostly disappears in a baggy Tshirt. Then again I dont mind if I print.

If I am concerned about printing I'll throw on a short sleeve button up over a colored pocket Tee and carry at the 8:30 in my Serpa. I slide it back just enough that its not obvious if my shirt blows open a little.

Bottom line, the more you want to conceal, the more you will have to adjust your attire to your method of carry.

Then again, if I dont want ANYONE to know I carry, I throw it into my Versipack and forget it.

Maxpedition Versipack Tactical Nylon Military Gear, Concealed Carry Shoulder Sling Bag, Fanny Butt Pack

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am about 5'9" 175, so quite a bit shorter than you but bigger built. I carry a 27 in a crossbreed holster at about 4:30 and it conceals just fine, a bulge I know is there but no one else does is all that is present. Its fine in cold weather.

However in the summer time I carry my 27 in my front pocket of my shorts, heavy but effective. The shorts just fit loose unlike my jeans. I wear some strait leg shorts that only have back and hip pockets. They are made by Volcom and conceal my 27 nicely. They look just like Dickies or Dockers more or less. I have some in Kaki and a grey color so I can always wear them and not have one the "same shorts" all of the time. But the pockets are not necessarily huge but due to how they are made and the style of the shorts they conceal just fine. Upon arrival home from church I took it out of my pocket and my buddy says "that gun just came out of your pocket!? thats not tiny and I had no idea!".

So I wanted to let you in on that, or anyone else reading. But you asked about OWB and IWB appendix. OWB, just get something with retention. But I am a much larger fan of appendix carry. Especially for someone with your build. It is very effective for skinny/slim built people, it just disappears. I know a guy about your size who has concealed a G19 using appendix carry even in some slimmer fit shirts. So i am confident it would be very effective, and once you find a way that works for you probably comfortable, which is much easier for a skinny guy in this method. So I would say find something in this method that works for you and try it out. So i haven't had to change my attire at all to carry, I am too young and single for that haha so I am sure you can figure something out! Good luck man

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom