CC on or around college campuses (not students)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    As the title indicates, it's general knowledge and in the books of most or all universities around Indiana that students are not permitted to possess weapons on campus. But what about everyone else? Is it against state law for a non-student visitor or pedestrian to conceal carry? And by "against the law" I mean that if discovered you are not just asked to leave, but are arrested, charged, and booked.

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Negative.

Although the campus police might think differently. IUPUI campus police is a total joke. Glorified mall cops who had no idea what the laws were.

But legally, no.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    It is perfectly legal, but against their rules. If you are ask to leave, for any reason, and do not, you can be sited for trespass. Just like any other business. If you are faculty or staff, you could be fired. If you are a student, you could be expelled.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A college or university can have pretty much whatever policy they want, just like any other business.

However, since they do not meet Indiana's definition of "school", it is not illegal for ANYONE to carry.

Of course, everyone who posted before me already said that!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There may also be certain campus buildings that house daycare centers and the like.

Also there are two high schools that utilize parts of Ball State's campus almost entirely, if not entirely. Ball State may be a VERY sticky wicket legally.

-J-

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    There may also be certain campus buildings that house daycare centers and the like.

Also there are two high schools that utilize parts of Ball State's campus almost entirely, if not entirely. Ball State may be a VERY sticky wicket legally.

-J-

This!

Be very aware of what is housed in the buildings.

I have a question too about this if there is a daycare on university property, but the daycare itself is separated by a public street from the main campus. Is it still illegal?

IndyKiller82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Avon, IN
    Summary of the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct : Student Conduct : IUPUI

Weapons (Part II.H.14)
    IUPUI has a zero tolerance practice for weapons. The possession of any weapons, especially guns, is a serious violation and cause for immediate suspension. Guns may not be kept in vehicles when visiting campus.
    Example of behavior: Having a gun in a residence hall room or vehicle.

From IUPUI's website. They consider it a violation if you even have it in your vehicle! What a joke!

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I was at IUPUI today CC. Went to visit a friend at IU Hospital there and walked right past the no weapons sign. A year ago I would have been concerned about it, but now I know they can't do anything to me other than ask me to leave.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    I'm pretty bummed. IU won't allow me to CC on campus. Too much of a risk to CC and get caught. I couldn't handle being expelled...too much hardwork has already gone in.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    This!

Be very aware of what is housed in the buildings.

I have a question too about this if there is a daycare on university property, but the daycare itself is separated by a public street from the main campus. Is it still illegal?
    I am having a problem finding the state code where it defines school as K-12 they may have repealed that.. :( Please if anyone can find the statue.

IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses

IC 35-47-9-0.1
    Repealed
    (Repealed by P.L.63-2012, SEC.78.)

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.
    IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

IC 35-31.5-2-285
    "School property"
    Sec. 285. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).
    As added by P.L.114-2012, SEC.67.
    That last bit is what to look out for in terms of daycares and other schools being hidden within a campus (or really anywhere for that matter, work places, the state museum, etc)

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    I was at IUPUI today CC. Went to visit a friend at IU Hospital there and walked right past the no weapons sign. A year ago I would have been concerned about it, but now I know they can't do anything to me other than ask me to leave.

Careful with that, IU Hospital and Wishard are in the same building complex as far as I know. Wishard houses inmates for treatment. Therefore Wishard is off limits legally for carry.

Top Bottom