• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    I understand that an Indiana LTCH lets you open carry or conceal carry. Does that only come into play if the gun is loaded? If you do not have a LTCH, can you transport an unloaded handgun to and from the range?

I believe that I read on the forum that you DO NOT need any kind of permit to carry a loaded shotgun or rifle either open of concealed. Correct?

Also, does anyone know how this extends to other states? Can I legally transport an unloaded handgun/rifle/shotgun to a range in Illinois for example? Does it change the situation if I have ammunition in the car too?

Sorry, I know thats a lot of questions, but this is where this stuff gets muddy to me. Thanks.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    No transportation of a handgun outside of the enumerated exceptions, and the range is NOT one of those exceptions. A LTCH is needed to transport to and from a range.

No permit for carrying/having a long gun in your vehicle or on your person.

I have no idea on the IL stuff, I stay out for the most part :)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Longguns in IN no permit needed to transport/carry, loaded/unloaded, concealed/open however you like with one exception, pistol grip shotguns(and I assume pistol grip rifles but no case law for them) can be (and have been) considered handguns and need a LTCH to transport outside of the limited exceptions.

For IL well depends on who you ask :dunno: sorta anyway. It is legal to transport all firearms through IL(and all other states) if they are unloaded and encased and unaccesable to the passenger compartment (if in a pickup or rv etc. where there is no enclosed space away from the passenger compartment just unloaded and cased) and you don't stop (very simplified, if you plan on doing it check into it better), but to transport into and use? Well for IL hunting its legal and I believe its legal for target shooting but I haven't seen any case law for that. Other states it can be more or less confusing.

Check out Handgunlaw.us for handgun regulations state by state, longguns no idea.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I agree, shallow and pedantic.

2uos85w.jpg

Top Bottom