• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I'm going to throw myself at the INGO masses - I'm going to be starting my journey down the CCW pathway soon. I have pretty much settled on getting an M&P9c because I like how it feels and I have shot both the full size M&P and the Shield comfortably and reliably.

What I am currently getting to grips with is holster selection. I am just starting to weigh up my options for a holster that I can wear IWB at 4 o'clock. The forerunner that I am looking at is;
    Best IWB Holster | Inside the Waistband | AlienGearHolsters

concealed-carry-holster_515_1_3_1_1534.jpg

My, admittedly amateur, reasoning is that two clips for the holster are more secure than one, and that the barrier between the grip and my body will keep sweat out of the pistol and help mitigate against chill in the winter.

Is my line of thinking correct? And would a holster with one one belt clip (like the one below) have any advantages?

417suLjav6L._SY450_.jpg

Thoughts, opinions, anecdotes, comments, etc. are all welcome as I am looking to make an informed decision.

99zhuggerz99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    One clip will be easier on/off. I went the MTAC route and never looked back. 7 years of very regular carry and the holster is no worse for the wear. Get a good gun belt as this is the most overlooked thing; but can make a good holster great.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I used to carry a full size 1911 in a crossbreed holster, I switched to a walther PPS with a hidden hybrid holster. I like the hidden hybrids a bit better, it's a lot more holster, crossbreeds are kind of pricey for what they actually are...

t27TY2c.jpg

hdrenollet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    South Indy/Greenwood
    I've read and heard amazing things about Alien Gear's iwb holsters, specifically the Cloak Tuck 3.0. I primarily OC, but am looking at one of these myself for the times I need to CC. Prices aren't too bad on them either.

For now, I use a generic Blackhawk nylon IWB that works on the few occasions that I actually need to CC. Never had a problem with it either, but it's not a good long-term solution for sure!

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I've had both the holsters you've mentioned. I carried my cz rami in both the alien gear cloak 2.0 and their owb holster. I liked both but eventually only used owb. Slightly more comfortable for me and it concealed the rami just fine. Right now I have the m&p 9c and use the galco holster pictured. I usually appendix carry but sometimes the galco feels a little bulky no matter where I put it.

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    You should give StealthGear USA a try, their Onyx IWB is one of the most comfortable holsters I've ever worn. Sometimes it disappears. I carry an HK VP9 in one now and I love it. The only downfall, if you want to classify it as that, is that it doesn't cover the entire grip and sometimes the gun will touch your back in the winter and depending on the temperature it can almost take your breath away lol.

I also have a Walther PPQ I carry in an N82 tactical holster, also very comfortable but it only has one clip.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    Cant go wrong with the aliengear. I also have to 2.0 and 3.0. The 3 has a neoprene backing and takes no time to mold to your body. The leather of tbe 2.0 takes a little longer. The double clips help spread tve weight. Also with aliengear you can change shells if you get a new or additional gun for $12. I also have a crossbreed which i got first. But prefer tbe aliengear over it. I carey a FNX 45 t in it with no problems.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    All good advice but don't forget real CC training. It's more important that most realize.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears” Col. Jeff Cooper

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've been happy with my Galco KingTuk. I bought it when I bought my gun figuring I'd find something better later. Butbit works great so no need to replace it.

And yes, a good belt is important. I like the BioBelt, personally. Its 3 years old, worn everyday and still looks new. If you want to see it, let me know. You just live next door.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    One clip will be easier on/off. ....

In addition, a one clip holster takes up less horizontal space on the belt. This and ease of on/off are my primary reasons for a single clip holster.

The Comp-Tac Infidel Max is my go-to [1]. I've tried 2-clip holsters and the leather/kydex hybrids. Just don't need 2 clips with lighter handguns and I don't need the leather backing since I always wear a t-shirt next to the skin. The full kydex shell is a bit more positive feeling, imo. The leather/kydex hybrids I've tried always felt a little "mushy" to me in terms of locking the gun in and releasing it. YMMV. It's just a matter of finding something that works/is comfortable for your body type, dress, intended use, etc.

[1] - Infidel Max Holster | Comp-Tac Victory Gear

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Another vote for Stealthgear, I carry a G20 IWB and am amazed at how comfortable it is. Yes they cost about 40 to 50$ more than most others, but the quality is worth to me. They also have a 3-4 week wait time, again worth the wait.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I have an Aliengear Tuckcloak 3.0 for both of my pistols and love them. Took the advice of several members here and bought a Daltech BioBelt. It is awesome as well. I wear the belt every day, whether I am carrying or not.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    Cant go wrong with the aliengear. I also have to 2.0 and 3.0. The 3 has a neoprene backing and takes no time to mold to your body. The leather of tbe 2.0 takes a little longer. The double clips help spread tve weight. Also with aliengear you can change shells if you get a new or additional gun for $12. I also have a crossbreed which i got first. But prefer tbe aliengear over it. I carey a FNX 45 t in it with no problems.

I'll correct you on the both the 2.0 and the 3.0 have neoprene backings. The 1.0 is still a solid choice for a tough leather backed hybrid holster. But I don't like leather on my skin when it's hot out. All iwb choices are good to go from AG. I carry a 1911 everyday in either a 1.0 or a 2.0.

A little love with a file and a heat gun made the holster all day comfortable for me. For the price and warranty they can't be beat.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    This is all awesome information, thank you all

I've been happy with my Galco KingTuk. I bought it when I bought my gun figuring I'd find something better later. Butbit works great so no need to replace it.

And yes, a good belt is important. I like the BioBelt, personally. Its 3 years old, worn everyday and still looks new. If you want to see it, let me know. You just live next door.
    Thank you for the offer, I may take you up on that

I'll correct you on the both the 2.0 and the 3.0 have neoprene backings. The 1.0 is still a solid choice for a tough leather backed hybrid holster. But I don't like leather on my skin when it's hot out. All iwb choices are good to go from AG. I carry a 1911 everyday in either a 1.0 or a 2.0.

A little love with a file and a heat gun made the holster all day comfortable for me. For the price and warranty they can't be beat.
    I had not considered the warranty aspect. I was starting to look at the Foxx holsters, but the fact that if I switch to a different firearm later Aliengear will replace the shell free might swing my opinion.

Top Bottom