• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Anyone know if they have any metal detectors or patdowns? Plan on CC'ing there since I'm sure I wouldn't be able to get away with OC.

Here's what they have on their website:

Security
    Security is provided by a professional security firm and may include off-duty law enforcement personnel, security guards and Gen Con staff. All security personnel serve to ensure the safety and wellbeing of everyone. Please show them the respect they deserve. Failure to comply with the directives issued by uniformed security and staff may result in immediate expulsion without refund.
    Costumes & Weapons
    Weapons and items that appear to be weapons are not allowed at Gen Con. Self defense, recreational and utility items such as knifes, tazers, pepper spray, BB guns, cap guns, air-soft weapons, paintball guns, water guns, martial arts weaponry, including wooden practice weapons, etc, are not welcome, even if it is lawful to own and carry them in other public places. Off duty security, law-enforcement and military personnel are not allowed to bring their weapons to Gen Con. Items resembling futuristic weapons, fantasy weapons and non-projectile boffer weapons may be allowed provided they are not handled in a careless, threatening or destructive manner against persons or property.
    Questionable items can be brought to the Information Desk in the convention center during operating hours to be checked for compliance with this policy. Some events may provide exceptions to this policy under strict circumstances defined by that event. Items purchased in the Exhibit Hall that violate this policy must be wrapped and immediately removed from the convention premises.
    20th & 21st century uniforms may not be worn as costumes. These include any uniform that can be construed as a military uniform from any country or a uniform worn in an official capacity, such as security guard, police officer, deputy, fire marshal, paramedic, etc. Active duty military personnel are permitted to wear their government-issued uniforms.
    Gen Con Event Staff or security personnel may inspect any item or costume at any time during the convention. Failure to comply with these policies and/or the instructions of Gen Con Event Staff or security personnel may result in immediate removal from the convention without refund.

"Not welcome".... but not explicitly prohibited, and says nothing about concealed :P

Just curious if anyone has history with carrying there

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    To begin, if they find out you have a gun they will absolutely freak out.

Here is a fun story from last year.

2 officers enter the building as for whatever reason another individual has left his backpack with $10,000 (his assigned value) worth of Magic the Gathering cards out in the open which was immediately stolen by someone else. The officers are looking for "guy dressed like an ogre"... in a building where 2/3s of the people are dressed like ogres and the other 1/3 look that way naturally. So while looking for a needle in a haystack, the two officers happen upon an individual with a crooked stick and a wizards hat who slams the stick onto the tile, holds his hand out, and shouts "halt". The officers look at each other. Gandalph then says to the officers (through his braces) "Shoo, i notished that you don't have green shtickersh on your gunsh."
    Officers reply, "why would we have green stickers on our guns?"....
    Gandalph: "you have to have green shtickersh on your gunsh to show everyone they're not real gunsh !!!"
    Officers: "these are real guns."
    Gandalph takes three steps back and grabs his inhaler.
    Officers: "we're real cops"
    Gandolph: "we don't allow real gunsh"
    Officers: "you don't allow thieves either, but this is our 25th theft report here in the last 8 hours... We'll wait outside, when you find 'guy dressed like ogre' let him know to meet us there.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I would love to see them tell off duty law enforcement that they may not carry their guns, and then not give them a refund...

Reminds me of the bouncer at "Bartini's" that told an Excise officer that he must remove his hat while inside the bar. :laugh:

coyn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Syracuse
    I've CC'd at the convention center before with no problems at all. I can't answer to the possiblity that their private security firm will have metal detectors or not. Maybe do a walk by to see if they are scanning people before jumping in line?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    While it's fun to poke fun at the 'geeks', it is the one event each year in Indy that my (now 10 yr old) son thoroughly enjoys. For the past 3 years it has become our 'boys weekend out'. I have no issues taking him to the convention center for Gencon each year. Keeping an eye on a 10 yr old during other events in downtown Indy?, not so much...

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Off duty security, law-enforcement and military personnel are not allowed to bring their weapons to Gen Con.

What part of this statement says "not welcome"?

If they are going to put a line like that in to single out those people and say "No you can't bring your firearms" then you are taking a risk of getting asked to leave if you are seen by security.

I'm not saying that you can't, I'm just saying that it's a risk. I wouldn't care if you were packin OC or CC or anyone else there was. But then again I'm not a sheeple.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    I attended Gencon for 5 years as press, was CC'ing every year. Never had to go through metal detector, though I also didn't have to wait in the ticket line either so there may be another entrance. Haven't been for 2-3 years though so it may have changed.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Is it at the Convention Center? If so, as long as you CC you're good to go. CC'd there many times!

But how do you CC in this?
    gencon09.jpg

Kaardomos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Milltown, Indiana
    Anyone know if they have any metal detectors or patdowns? Plan on CC'ing there since I'm sure I wouldn't be able to get away with OC.

Here's what they have on their website:

"Not welcome".... but not explicitly prohibited, and says nothing about concealed :P

Just curious if anyone has history with carrying there
    CCed yesterday and today with no problem. Some buddies and I went years ago and decided we should go back. To be honest, I was tempted to see, if we go back next year, if I could put together a soldier outfit and OC without them figuring it out. I'm sure someone would want a photo of me pointing a gun at them, though. And the no things that look like modern guns and 20/21st century soldier outfit thing seemed poorly enforced.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    CC'd entire time. Left the ICC around 8:30, and took off my overshirt, OC'd the rest of the way to the parking garage on the east side of town. Lots of officers directing traffic for the motorcycle event going on in the Circle.

No issues. Will CC again tomorrow :)

Thanks for the feedback

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    We should find a way to identify us ingo members there! It'd be a relief to find another geek type while at the convention! Although, and INGO patch/sticker may tip LEO off...
    Day 3 for us tomorrow... I am beginning to dread the early drive in with Moto GP going on as well.

Top Bottom