• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Anyone else use .22 shorts CB rounds? I had firing these for a while in my old roommates backyard. Now I'm married and renting a house, I built a nice (and safe/ventilated, no worries) backstop and have been firing them in my basement. Obviously there is no issue firing these out of a bolt or lever action, but is there a problem firing them out of a semi auto? Obviously, because of the primer only charge, I have to eject/chamber each round manually, I just want to know I'm not doing any damage to my firearms. :ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15: 24/7

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    As far as I know, yes you can fire a short out of a semi-auto if you load it manualy. There are other .22LR rounds that are powderless, and will funtion a semi-auto.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    As far as I know, yes you can fire a short out of a semi-auto if you load it manualy. There are other .22LR rounds that are powderless, and will funtion a semi-auto.

That makes sense, however conceptually, I wonder if the half-assed attempt to throw the bolt back for lack of powder could hurt it over time, uneven wear of parts for instance, that could cause malfunction in semi-auto firing in the future. Guess we'll find out. :rockwoot::rockwoot:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    That makes sense, however conceptually, I wonder if the half-assed attempt to throw the bolt back for lack of powder could hurt it over time, uneven wear of parts for instance, that could cause malfunction in semi-auto firing in the future. Guess we'll find out. :rockwoot::rockwoot:

I don't think you'll see any problems in the area you've described, however, I've heard tales of CB rounds NOT exiting the barrel due to lack of power. If you do not notice, and fire subsequent rounds with an obstructed barrel, well let's just say I don't want to be there!:nono:

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I have heard of that happening as well. I fired almost 500 cb rounds out of my arms core m16000 18 1/4" barrel with no issues. I don't think this will be an issue in the 16" gsg. Plus it's so quiet, I can hear it slap the target. :)

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Don't know about semiautos. I always reserve them and the Long CBs for use in my manual action .22's. Just have a really good backstop! I killed a big ol' possum (over 13 lbs on my fish scale) that was tearing up the potted plants and eating all the kibble we leave on our porch for a litter of feral kittens with one shot using a CB long the other night. Range was only about twenty-five feet, but it went clean through both shoulders.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I've got tightly packed phone books in layers of duct tape for stability, they don't even begin to get through. As extra, behind that is a huge box full of cardboard and a big wooden door. :-)

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The fisrt time I saw CB caps fired was at my tailor. They sold Mens clothing, GREAT suits and were big time hunters so they carried hunting clothes as well. They were a client as well.

So I drop by one day. "Hey Zoub come back here. I solved my Rat problem." He pulled out an Atlanta phone book and shot it with a CB cap, then removed it from the book.

That was over 20 years ago and I have used them in a Ruger MKII ever since with no damage to the gun. In bolts and lever actions you can shoot caps, shorts and longs in a LR chamber, it just won't cycle the semi gun set up for LR.

FYI the rat problem was in his backyard, local construction pushed them out and they were coming for his dogs food bowl. If you shoot from inside your home/sunroom/garage/shed the sound is absorbed even more before the rat takes the hit. If you have a kids rifle like a chipmuk or cricket, when used with caps you in essence end up with a 2.5lb gun that is very small, light and quite.

Last edited:

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    The quiets gun I've fired them from was my dad's Henry lever action, even quieter than my old .22 bolt. chambering a new round made more noise than firing it! hehe

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Let's say that you have a semi auto .22 pistol... like a Ruger.

What would happen and how much would it hurt if you braced the bolt closed with one of your hands?

I'd love to experiment with some CB longs + Ruger Mk II + suppressor, but am afraid that I'll some how end up damaging my suppressor.

-J-

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Let's say that you have a semi auto .22 pistol... like a Ruger.

What would happen and how much would it hurt if you braced the bolt closed with one of your hands?

I'd love to experiment with some CB longs + Ruger Mk II + suppressor, but am afraid that I'll some how end up damaging my suppressor.

-J-

I would think you would more likely damage your hand, than the suppressor!:nono:

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I don't believe the primer only CB round even begins to move the bolt. I will experiment taping a piece of scotch tape and seeing what happens!

meyersgold

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Otterbein
    I shot CB longs in my Rugar and it doesn't cycle it at all. The longs work better than the shorts in my Marlin 60 tube fed semi also. Best damn cat round I have found. 6 for 6 in my back yard and 3 for 3 out the front door.

Top Bottom