• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Publius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Central IN
    Hi. I saw the INGO group buy for the Cav Arms MkII lowers. I am interested, but just beginning to research these. What is the consensus out there on this lower? They seem like they'd make a wonderful candidate for a budget AR. Thoughts?

If this is a report please point me the main discussion. I tried a search and couldn't find another topic like this.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    Hi. I saw the INGO group buy for the Cav Arms MkII lowers. I am interested, but just beginning to research these. What is the consensus out there on this lower? They seem like they'd make a wonderful candidate for a budget AR. Thoughts?

If this is a report please point me the main discussion. I tried a search and couldn't find another topic like this.

I just got mine in yesterday. They are actually pretty cool. However, they are what they are. The finish on them is not the greatest and they look kinda cheap. For the price, it's worth having one or two. They are extremely lightweight and actually feel pretty sturdy for being polymer. My upper fit on it great (Rock River) and the RRA LPK went in with no problems.

All in all, I'm pleased.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    IMHO, I would not buy a Cav Arms lower if you are just going to have one AR-15. If you plan on just having one, then buy a traditional lower (EA for $100, RRA, etc for $150+).

$130 is a great deal, but you still need to buy a LPK ($65) and buffer/spring ($15) to finish it out.

Make a great second project (or third, or fourth, etc...)

Publius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Central IN
    For one this isn't my first AR. As a 'budget build' this would also be great for my wife or kids due to the shorter LOP and less weight. I am a huge fan of the Magpul PMAGs, but slightly concerned about polymer for the receiver. I realize that aside from abuse, the lower only gets wear and tear in the magazine well. Most of the real heat and stress is in the upper. I read somewhere that these polymer receivers had been tested with 50k+ rounds and still running well. I'm really tempted to get in on this buy, but I do like to not be a bleeding edge, guinea pig for products.

Is the finish on these painted on, or are they like the PMAGs where the color is in the polymer and thus the coloration is all the way through?

Thanks!!

gunner4564

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    I have a couple. I love them, I would have bought some on the group buy if I hadn't ordered 4 from DSG arms a few weeks before. I have one with a oly arms .45 acp blowback upper on it and you can get mag block to let it use 30 round grease gun mags. This is not possible with a standard ar-15 lower as the mag well is just a shy bit too small but with the cav arms lower things work just fine. There is also a special buffer you need to run it but it sure is a blast.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    For one this isn't my first AR. As a 'budget build' this would also be great for my wife or kids due to the shorter LOP and less weight. I am a huge fan of the Magpul PMAGs, but slightly concerned about polymer for the receiver. I realize that aside from abuse, the lower only gets wear and tear in the magazine well. Most of the real heat and stress is in the upper. I read somewhere that these polymer receivers had been tested with 50k+ rounds and still running well. I'm really tempted to get in on this buy, but I do like to not be a bleeding edge, guinea pig for products.

Is the finish on these painted on, or are they like the PMAGs where the color is in the polymer and thus the coloration is all the way through?

Thanks!!

The polymer is colored, like Pmags. You can buy the handguards from them in matching colors (for a perfect match).

You are not a guinea pig with these. They have been out for a while and are widely used across the US for 3 Gun matches (because of the light weight). They are very proven and will take all the punishment that you can throw at them. If they do break, they'll replace it. Great idea on the AR for the wife and kids :)

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Not my first AR lower build, but will be my first complete AR. I'm currently selling my SKS and 960rnds to fund an upper! :D

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've been thinking of getting in on this, but really haven't heard how much an upper would cost. If I do this, i'll want to do this on a buget. How much us the upper and any idea how much a finished rifle will cost?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I hear it's cheaper to build, so I've gone this route as well.

My goal is to at least get the lower done. Someone on here got a great deal on an upper from M&A parts.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    M and A has uppers for $430 or kits for $490. You might as well get the kit for $490 because you'll need the lpk and buffer/spring to finish out the Cav Arms lower. That's a total AR for under $650.

Top Bottom