• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I have a Lee Turret press and I was wondering if anyone has made a contraption for catching the primers. I don't like the way they drop down into the base of the press because there is not a good way of getting them out of there from what I can see.

I was thinking of attaching something to the side of the press at the proper height for when the ram shaft spits the primer out it would land in a funnel and slide down a tube into a catcher that I attach to my bench.

I hate when the ejected primer bounces off the press and goes on the floor. It just bugs me man.:):

So has anyone made anything like this already that you can post a picture of?:dunno:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yup sure have:D, Simple yet effective. I just cut a hole into my bench that the press fits over and srewed the lid of a small jar to the underside. When it gets full unscrew the jar an discard. Hope this helps:yesway:

002-2.jpg

001.jpg

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    This problem was one of the top 3 reasons why I replaced mine with the classic turret press. Primer drops thru the ram and a plastic tube right into my trashcan. I did have an arrangement similar to sgreen. Only his is much nicer.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    This problem was one of the top 3 reasons why I replaced mine with the classic turret press. Primer drops thru the ram and a plastic tube right into my trashcan. I did have an arrangement similar to sgreen. Only his is much nicer.

Same - it's pretty convenient.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Yea, I did think about exactly what you have there. The two problems I was thinking about were these:

1. Some primers don't go into the frame, they bounce off the frame and those are the ones that land on the floor.
    2. I kind of didn't want to drill the lager hole into the reloading bench top in case I decide to get a different press some time.

I like your idea. But I would like to catch them before they go into the press base.

Maybe I could just make a cup that attaches to the press and sits on top of the hole int he base where the primers are supposed to go. Then it would drop into the cup but since th cup sits up higher, it would catch the primers before they have a chance to bounce off the frame.:dunno:

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Mine is a pre 2006 press. so I converted it to the 4 hole turret and put the safety prime system on it. If I buy the current Classic Turret press would my safety prime system work or are they different?

bamthetrashman

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I did the same thing that sgreen3 did. Works well:

Press_2.jpg

I also used plexi-glass and zip ties to put up "walls" on the sides of the press to keep the primers from flying all over the place (its kinda hard to see in this picture):

Press_1.jpg

Top Bottom